• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

i think Naughton should come in if he's fit. Not as pacy but will provide Lennon with more to work with, thought his passing was really good for Norwich. Utilizing Lennon was particularly important with Bale being out.

Think it was inevitable Walker's poor form would cost us a goal eventually as he's noticeably been shaky for a while now and we all know it. Perhaps needs a break and a bit of time out of the spotlight for a bit. I'm assuming Naughton will play midweek and hopefully will stake a claim.

Walker comes across as a bright kid in interviews but sometimes on the pitch he doesn't have the best approach. We all get angry playing football but he lets it show a bit too much for my liking, or perhaps just doesn't express it in the right way. Kicking that ball at Mata was a bit of a dingdonghead thing to do, if Ashley Cole had done to Lennon we'd have all been foaming at the mouth with rage. Mata didn't react and as he kept his cool he was able to embarrass Walker in the end, who knows what the young lad was thinking trying to hold on to it and dragging the ball back in to play and falling the other way, I think he must have expected a favour from the ref or something.

Walker has been poor all season. It's not just form or lack of experience. He has poor basic footballing skills.

He certainly has to improve.

Can't defend
Can't cross a ball
No understanding between him and Lennon
Lazy

People think he is good because he is fast and gets forward. I'm sure with good training he will improve. He needs to be dropped but we don't have any competition for him.

Disagree with most of that... He can do all of them but not amazingly well, but most of our side don't see to be able to deliver a cross. In fact it seems to be a lost art in the premier league

him and Lennon looked fine last season but he has lost all form and possibly confidence as a consequence

I'd give Adam Smith a chance against SCBC and see how he does

So when he was good last season it was just luck?

Interesting..

I never thought he was that good last season, though better than this season. And to be the best English RB doesn't take a lot. His inability to cross has always been obvious.

I never thought he was that good last season, though better than this season. And to be the best English RB doesn't take a lot. His inability to cross has always been obvious.

So if he was better last season, than it is his form that is the issue...

:-k

Or maybe the whole team looked better last season, but this year his deficiencies are becoming more obvious? There are many possible reasons.

What's clear is that he hasn't improved at all, he's making the same mistakes and sometimes his pace isn't enough to bail him out. Going forward he isn't much use either.

If possible I'd like to see Naughton at LB and Smith at RB against Maribor or at the very least one of them at RB.

No, I think opposition teams have seen enough of him to work him out. They target his side and I dont think Walker has the technical ability to make it sadly. Although I am a critic, I wish that he would improve. Sadly players either have it at his age or they do not. You can teach postioning and concentration comes with experience, but few players improve technically beyond their teenage years.

He was good last season. Let's not rewrite history. Gary Neville had touted him as the best right back in the league, which I didn't actually agree with, but it shows at least how he was thought of at one point.

Last season he had his flaws too, but the good moments far outweighed the bad. This season it is unfortunately the other way around, and his relative young age means he hasn't the experience to see that simplifying things is the way to play out of this sticky patch. For me his mistake that cost us the final goal was basically down to inexperience. I'm sure he had it in his mind that he had to keep the ball alive and get it up the pitch and nick an equaliser.

He needs a break and bit of time out of the firing line. Naughton for the next game me thinks.

No, I think opposition teams have seen enough of him to work him out. They target his side and I dont think Walker has the technical ability to make it sadly. Although I am a critic, I wish that he would improve. Sadly players either have it at his age or they do not. You can teach postioning and concentration comes with experience, but few players improve technically beyond their teenage years.

Fair enough, i am of the opinion that his problems are all mental. His football skills are perfectly fine, he can pass, he can tackle, he can run with the ball.

What he seems to lack is positioning and decision making. Both of which can be picked up over time, though his pace may well be his curse, as he would not have had to concentrate much on his positioning as a youth as his exceptionable pace was able to bail him out and he has learnt to rely upon that.

Next time he plays watch carefully. He has very limited technical skills. He struggles to hold possession in tight areas, he cannot head very well, he struggles to beat a man, when tightly closed down and his crossing(which can be OK) is inconsistent. I thought the hype last year was just that-hype. I hope to be proved wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Next time he plays watch carefully. He has very limited technical skills. He struggles to hold possession in tight areas, he cannot head very well, he struggles to beat a man, when tightly closed down and his crossing(which can be OK) is inconsistent. I thought the hype last year was just that-hype. I hope to be proved wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Oh his crossing needs improvement yes, but that is the only technical area in which he is truly poor. I have watched him enough to know over the last year thanks.

Oh his crossing needs improvement yes, but that is the only technical area in which he is truly poor. I have watched him enough to know over the last year thanks.

Sorry mate that sounded a bit smart arsed. I meant that often when a team is winning sometimes nuances go un-noticed,that's all.

I rate Walker much higher and feel he has the potential to be one of the best.
He's young and already much better than most RBs his age, and he is not too bad technically.

He's played virtually every game possible since the beginning of last season, I think the kid could do with a break now and then.

You're entitled to your opinion but to write someone off who is PFA Young player of the year is crazy. Time and time again you see players of all ages for Spurs claimed to be not good enough, need to be moved on etc then low and behold they end up with egg on their faces. He's going through a dip in form, big deal - it happens. I can't think of any players who have played more football for us in the past two seasons the guy needs a pat on the bat and an opportunity to recharge his batteries.

If you genuinely think he won't make it then be prepared to eat some humble pie, and remember next time not to write off a 22 year old international.....

Firstly, I would say that causing Walker to delete Twitter is just ridiculous. Giving the guy that much abuse is hardly going to help the situation regardless of how bad his errors were.

On to the crux, I have felt since last season around christmas time that he needs to be rested or kept on his toes. He has all the tools that you would want from a full back but he does seem a bit lazy with it. I think he may well feel he can afford to be a little lacksadaiscal because his pace will get him out of trouble but as we have seen before, that won't always save you.

To my mind he is majorly at fault for the third goal as he wasn't compact enough to prevent a gap for Mata to run into, never mind actually tracking the run which was on the blindside of Gallas. If he was a bit cuter then his starting position as Mata makes the run would have been 5 yards or so closer to Gallas which would have made that ball nigh on impossible for Mata, certainly to receive unchallenged. We saw to our advantage about how being pulled out and creating space between the defenders at Old Trafford can give alot of uncoverable space for players to run into but Walker wasn't pulled out of position, he was just ball watching and not concentrating at all.

The fourth hardly needs even discussing. Weak attempt at winning a non existent free kick, probably somewhat fuelled by a spat 10 mins earlier with Mata. Unacceptable defending with a risky strategy that 9 times out of 10 would have come off, the ref normally would blow for that but he rightly didn't. He has to take the flak for the last two goals just as Gallas has to take the flak really for both of the first two goals although with the second I can understand Gallas is just trying to get something on it to take it away from the danger zone but didn't get anywhere near enough on it.

Kyle Walker has all the attributes to be a very good player but he has to concentrate more when he/we don't have the ball and he also has to have a few games of getting back to basics. Do the simple things and build your confidence back up. When running down the wing, don't stop and do pointless stepovers that everyone knows are just for show, keep running and try to cross it and see what comes from it. Don't over commit going forward and practice safety first by doing your primary job well - ie defending.

Back