• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

Re: Walker...

Last season when Lennon was out I wanted Redknapp to try Walker out at right wing, but it never happened as we had no cover at right back :(

All of you seem to agree that he has all the right natural attributes - especially his blistering pace, which so often gets him off the hook.
So if he has the natural talent, then it is probably a mental lapse.
I can't help thinking that having worked so hard to cement his place in the team, now that he is assured his place his mind has wandered towards the off the field pleasures that being a first teamer bring....
Cars, women, new demands from his family etc.
Just speculating, but maybe he has too many new distractions from being thrust into the limelight.

All of you seem to agree that he has all the right natural attributes - especially his blistering pace, which so often gets him off the hook.
So if he has the natural talent, then it is probably a mental lapse.
I can't help thinking that having worked so hard to cement his place in the team, now that he is assured his place his mind has wandered towards the off the field pleasures that being a first teamer bring....
Cars, women, new demands from his family etc.
Just speculating, but maybe he has too many new distractions from being thrust into the limelight.

Not sure about natural abilities as a footballer but he certainly is an athlete. There is going to be an expectation to perform following his previous seasons, perhaps everything has moved too fast? He was very good at Villa, which saw him dislodge Corluka and then become an England international - oh and the young player of the year award. A lot in a short go.

Like Friedel (I use him as an example since it's topical) - Walker needs to understand his current limitations and play to them (sure the manager might want more than he can offer) and he also must keep fully focused as I think he can lapse, maybe like Friedel this comes with experience?

He actually started off as a striker and good shot he has (so it seems), perhaps his athletisism saw he capable enough to be a full-back?

Perhaps just like Glen Johnson, he cannot play to his strengths with a player like Lennon in front of him (should he have an inverted winger in front?)

The kid is young and I know you can argue so was Bale, etc but I'm sure he'll come good and be here for the long stay.

Not sure about natural abilities as a footballer but he certainly is an athlete. There is going to be an expectation to perform following his previous seasons, perhaps everything has moved too fast? He was very good at Villa, which saw him dislodge Corluka and then become an England international - oh and the young player of the year award. A lot in a short go.

Like Friedel (I use him as an example since it's topical) - Walker needs to understand his current limitations and play to them (sure the manager might want more than he can offer) and he also must keep fully focused as I think he can lapse, maybe like Friedel this comes with experience?

He actually started off as a striker and good shot he has (so it seems), perhaps his athletisism saw he capable enough to be a full-back?

Perhaps just like Glen Johnson, he cannot play to his strengths with a player like Lennon in front of him (should he have an inverted winger in front?)

The kid is young and I know you can argue so was Bale, etc but I'm sure he'll come good and be here for the long stay.

I would argue that Johnson is a better attacker and marginally better defender now obviously he also has about eight years on Walker so Walker may well develop these. My main point was has he regressed since last season? I dont think its a form thing I think its an ability and experience thing.

I dont think Lennon hinders him - maybe in an attacking sense (but walker has a terrible cross and doesnt really take on players - maybe due to Lennon being in front of him) but in a defensive sense Lennon helps out a great deal but Walker is still suspect at that side of his game.

I would say that Walker has the lowest level of technical ability of any outfield player in our squad.

Yes I would agree with that, I have never understood the fuss over Walker right from the begining but he is young with blistering pace and now has invalueable experience of the prem, it would be good to have an alternative RB but give up on Walker, no way, our coaches will have to earn their money and iron out his faults, I notice in recent games he has not been so adventurous, this should have made it easier for the defensive side of his game but it has not, he is still very much work in progress.

Focus and positioning. Once that's sorted he'll be fine. We have a certain Ledley King at the club who should be dedicated to training him.

he was my constant worry over the weekend. At fault for Kagawa's goal and has real lapses in concentration. Does seem willing to learn though, let's hope he does.

Interestingly enough - he last really poor game was Utd at the Lane - he even tweeted to 'apologise' afterwards

Last edited:

No one is bitching we are analysing his performances and ability. Do you think AVB just ignores Walkers weaknesses? If he does then he is not doing his job properly.

He isnt a liability yet but its obvious he has weaknesses which has cost us and will cost us if not improved. I like Walker but he isnt 'great' (yet) but im not blinkered to his weaknesses the same as im not blinkered to verts weaknesses or Dembeles weaknesses etc.

I think he has either regressed a bit since last season or his weaknesses are just being exposed by the opposition this season and the latter part of last season.

Nt everyone is both big, but a few are. i do think avb will be aware of his weaknesses and will be trying iron them out, takes time though,and no better way if ironing then in games. With his problems not costing us then its a great situation to be n as we have some player on our hands.

I like Walker but he makes mistakes. The two stand out moments from last season for me were Defoe missing against City and Walker being at the other end of the pitch when Saudi Sportswashing Machine equalised away. Football is all about momentum IMO.

I can understand concerns about Walker's weaknesses... but ultimately the gains outweight the costs for me.
I love the way we have a real attacking threat with any almost any player... especially from defence... both fullbacks, Verts in CB, Caulker/Kaboul at set pieces.

when gallas finally retires, everyone except the goalie should be contributing to the goal tally.

He was really poor against Utd and could have cost us. His positional sense was shocking, he played Kagawa onside for their goal, he let Van Persie through on goal, he let Evra run across him for a free header which luckily was close enough to Friedel. There was a period around the 60min which summed up Walker for me where we were under pressure, when he had the ball and we finally had a chance to get out of our own half and he played such a lazy pass and within 20 seconds was heading the ball out for a completely unnecessary corner. He doesnt understand how to defend and is almost useless in attack. But as there is no other option right now but to keep playing him and hope he learns and improves.

He was really poor against Utd and could have cost us. His positional sense was shocking, he played Kagawa onside for their goal, he let Van Persie through on goal, he let Evra run across him for a free header which luckily was close enough to Friedel. There was a period around the 60min which summed up Walker for me where we were under pressure, when he had the ball and we finally had a chance to get out of our own half and he played such a lazy pass and within 20 seconds was heading the ball out for a completely unnecessary corner. He doesnt understand how to defend and is almost useless in attack. But as there is no other option right now but to keep playing him and hope he learns and improves.

I agree he had a poor game, but you can't pin that one on him. Evra was marked by Lennon who just let him go without giving Walker a shout. You can see from Walker's reaction to Lennon that there wasn't one.

How do you blame Walker for the Evra chance?? Last time I checked, Evra played left back and he is Lennon's man, and if Lennon doesnt communicate to Walker that Evra is coming on, Walker does not have eyes in the back of his head.

Walker is getting done positionally at the moment, it happens to all young players, only way to sort it out is games and experience.

When BAE is fit, leave him out to reajust his focus a couple of games then he will be fine!

Back