• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kevin Wimmer

All of those players are right footed. King and Terry have very good left feet (as did rio) but they are all right footed meaning the right footer/left footer partnership isn't always necessary.

Oh i see. Ok fair enough...however, have there been any good CB partnerships whereby BOTH cbs are left-footed?

It's more style than what foot a player is - Vertonghen, imv, performs best when partnered with a CB more robust than himself (Him and Fazio was our strongest pairing last season by some distance in terms of chances/Goals conceded)

But I do agree with GGeze in that he isn't at his best when paired with a greener player - I think he maybe he needs a partner who can get on with his job (allowing him to do the same) rather than someone who needs steering through a game - I think that's what led to his patchy performances when paired with Dier/Chirches

Vertonghen is a very good player. Also many top teams play with two right footed centre halves, its not a big deal

Also I like Wimmer, he looks a good young centre half who as he gets fitter and more experienced, looks to be cut out for the perm

Indeed he is and always has been, unfortunately a few fans got caught up in the flimflam body lanuage crap which was labelled on him a while back. It seems they are still SOME who believe in all that brick.

I thought Timmeh was a bellend, but he can't be blamed here for similar lapses we've seen from Vertonghen both before and after Timmeh was in charge. He cannot really lead the line, and i certainly would have given up before his new found partnership with Toby. But make no mistake when Toby isn't there, he'l go back to his usual good but sloppy self. He is NOT line leader material.

Wanting to give up on Vertonghen in the past surely must surely now be described as a mistake?

Vertonghen's usual good, but sloppy self that got him into the PL team of the season in his first year with us? Ok then...

Remember that last season Vertonghen played next to several different centre backs, in a team that was lacking Walker, had Bentaleb and Mason as our main central midfield partnership and was still in the process of changing our style of play and settling in under Pochettino...

Vertonghen is a very good player. Also many top teams play with two right footed centre halves, its not a big deal

Also I like Wimmer, he looks a good young centre half who as he gets fitter and more experienced, looks to be cut out for the perm

Wimmer looks a very good buy for us. Looks built for the PL physically, comfortable on the ball and looks fairly composed.

I think Vertonghen is poor when he is next to CBs who are less experienced or would look to him to be their guide.
Verts would return to his lax/absent-minded style we've all seen before esp in the second half of seasons and Wimmer will suffer as a result. Wimmer will learn and get better far more alongside Alderweireld imo.
Bang on.

Wimmer looks good as the Vertonghen understudy. We just need a young Toby and we are all good for our defence.

CCV??

Never seen him play myself but his rep. is good

Hopefully. I was reading the other day that he has only just turned 18, and you don't get many centre-backs slot in at that age. So I'm guessing that he's probably a year away from being ready, but who knows?

We've got Fazio in the meantime, and if Poch doesn't fancy him then we can always buy someone to cover for a season or two, 'til CCV is ready.

Football training actually. I'm guessing he was playing for the U21's tonight. 5-4 ouch.

Fairplay......It was on Sky Sports....CCV and Velk both looked 'not ready' for the 1st team last night. That said the chelsea CF does look really decent. I do rate both but CCV although a unit does lack height and Velk gave away two stray passes last night that 1.would be fatal in the prem and 2.Would get most fans hating on him in an instant (eg think bentelab).

Maybe we can get away with one being the 4th choice (if fazio goes) but the best choice maybe Velk as he is older and more experienced, but he may not be staying.

I thought he was excellent tonight, very solid, gave nothing away alongside Dier. Great to be able rest Jan and Toby without having to gamble on someone like Fazio. Hope he gets a lot more minutes this season without it being forced on us through injury. Tonight he'll have impressed Poch.

Wimmer was superb last night. He looked like he has played in that defence all season. Was very impressed by his range of passing too.

Really like him, would have no worries about swapping him in for one of the two Dutch lads if the need arises.

I think dropping Dier back and giving bentalab a run out worked very well as well and prob signifies that Dier would be 4th choice CB if needed, meaning sell Fazio and no great urgency to get a replacement in.

Very impressed with him once again, no fuss about his game but always in the right place and he cut out a couple of dangerous crosses from them in the second half.

Back