• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I just hope Sacramento is not picking up bad habits from Jose so he has his own ideas when he inevitably takes over.

I can’t believe people look at the style of play and the performances and think Jose isn’t instructing the team to sit deep and we do really want to attack but the opposition are forcing us to defend. I don’t care what Jose says about how he sets up the side and that it’s not his intention to sit back for 90 mins once we score, I’m judging what I see with my eyes. We literally only try to score when it’s level or when the other team makes a mistake. We don’t commit many men forward unless we need a goal to win. We actually look threatening when we attack with numbers. We sat in against palace and invited them on to us and it eventually bit us in the behind, same thing last night. We’re better than fudging Leicester, Wolves and Palace.

Is there a single successful team in world football who employs this style? The only one I can think of who are remotely close is Atletico Madrid but they attack teams who are inferior to them. The top teams in world football like Bayern, Liverpool, City etc all attack teams and play on the front foot. Football is cyclical but I really do think most football fans generally want to see their teams attack and play good football. West Brom and Stoke got fed up of Pulis even though avoiding relegation was almost a sure thing with him in charge.

To sum, I think people get too carried away with form and we’re finally through a horrific run of games so I expect the results to improve. Results aside though, I want to see us show more intent and go for the kill because settling for a 1-0 isn’t sustainable long term IMO.

Joint 3rd highest conceded from set-piece, maybe because the ball is constantly around our box and we end up defending more set-pieces in dangerous positions as a result.
Joint 2nd highest conceded from pens, similar to above, defending more balls in our box than most.
2 own goals, defending more crosses etc than most in our box leading to deflections and own goals.

I can’t believe people look at the style of play and the performances and think Jose isn’t instructing the team to sit deep and we do really want to attack but the opposition are forcing us to defend. I don’t care what Jose says about how he sets up the side and that it’s not his intention to sit back for 90 mins once we score, I’m judging what I see with my eyes. We non-figuratively only try to score when it’s level or when the other team makes a mistake. We don’t commit many men forward unless we need a goal to win. We actually look threatening when we attack with numbers. We sat in against palace and invited them on to us and it eventually bit us in the behind, same thing last night. We’re better than fudging Leicester, Wolves and Palace.

Is there a single successful team in world football who employs this style? The only one I can think of who are remotely close is Atletico Madrid but they attack teams who are inferior to them. The top teams in world football like Bayern, Liverpool, City etc all attack teams and play on the front foot. Football is cyclical but I really do think most football fans generally want to see their teams attack and play good football. West Brom and Stoke got fed up of Pulis even though avoiding relegation was almost a sure thing with him in charge.

To sum, I think people get too carried away with form and we’re finally through a horrific run of games so I expect the results to improve. Results aside though, I want to see us show more intent and go for the kill because settling for a 1-0 isn’t sustainable long term IMO.
I can’t see it working well at home at all, the players will likely be affected by the exasperated crowd if we serve up this style of football in the majority of the games.

The pelanty stat is largely because we got hit harder by the interpretation of the handball rule in the first month of the season than other teams.
True, but the point is that if we weren't constantly defending, the chances of conceding set-pieces and penalties would be reduced.

The pelanty stat is largely because we got hit harder by the interpretation of the handball rule in the first month of the season than other teams.

Looking at the way we defend our box now, I don’t think we’ll give away many more. Every player has hands behind their back defending crosses and we don’t throw in stupid blind tackles (although Dier got a bit lucky yesterday).

The downside of the hands behind the back approach is that if an opposing attacker has any space to take our player on, he can go past him easily. Wolves did it at least once yesterday.

True, but the point is that if we weren't constantly defending, the chances of conceding set-pieces and pelanties would be reduced.

I agree in principle but I don't think that we have been conceding too many penalties as a result, that could happen though. Half the penalties that we have conceded this season came from an interpretation of the rules that only lasted a couple of weeks. Without those, we have conceded the second least.

He's misrepresenting the data on penalties too. There are six teams in the league who have conceded more.

1. Brighton and Hove Albion 6
2. Liverpool 6
3. Fulham 5
4. Leeds United 5
5. Emirates Marketing Project 5
6. Wolverhampton Wanderers 5
7. Crystal Palace 4
8. Everton 4
9. Manchester United 4
10. Tottenham Hotspur 4
11. West Bromwich Albion 4
12. West Ham United 4
13. Burnley 3
14. Chelsea 3
15. Saudi Sportswashing Machine 2
16. Southampton 2
17. Arsenal 1
18. Aston Villa 1
19. Leicester City 1
20. Sheffield United 1

Jose, like any manager deserves credit when they get it right and should be called out when they get it wrong.

Again he's got it wrong. You'd take a point against palace but context is key. 1-0 up after first minute and out last shot on goal occured on 21st minute. That is down to Jose and his tactics.

His subs were again poor, and defensive. Sissoko was definitely needed, but for Ndombele instead of Winks (on a booking)? Don't get it. Totally wrong call.

Opposing teams simply now mark Kane and Son out of a game and when your other 7/8 outfield players are defensive minded or you don't push forward, you have no options on attack.

Time and time again he's got it wrong on this against "lesser" teams. Needs to fix it asap. Not good enough right now

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

True, but the point is that if we weren't constantly defending, the chances of conceding set-pieces and pelanties would be reduced.
We were'nt constantly defending against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Their last minute pen proved the new law is beyond crazy. As usual we were the ones to suffer cruelly before interpretation of the new rule was modified.

I agree in principle but I don't think that we have been conceding too many pelanties as a result, that could happen though. Half the pelanties that we have conceded this season came from an interpretation of the rules that only lasted a couple of weeks. Without those, we have conceded the second least.

He's misrepresenting the data on pelanties too. There are six teams in the league who have conceded more.

1. Brighton and Hove Albion 6
2. Liverpool 6
3. Fulham 5
4. Leeds United 5
5. Emirates Marketing Project 5
6. Wolverhampton Wanderers 5
7. Crystal Palace 4
8. Everton 4
9. Manchester United 4
10. Tottenham Hotspur 4
11. West Bromwich Albion 4
12. West Ham United 4
13. Burnley 3
14. Chelsea 3
15. Saudi Sportswashing Machine 2
16. Southampton 2
17. Arsenal 1
18. Aston Villa 1
19. Leicester City 1
20. Sheffield United 1
This calendar year we have conceded the second most in the league (8) vs Burnley’s 9

This calendar year we have conceded the second most in the league (8) vs Burnley’s 9

There's a danger of picking figures to fit an argument. The range over a year won't be that great, so freak events (handball interpretation) and natural fluctuations will have a disproportionate affect on the data.

There's a danger of picking figures to fit an argument. The range over a year won't be that great, so freak events (handball interpretation) and natural fluctuations will have a disproportionate affect on the data.
True
But it’s an appalling number
For context since he signed for us Aurier alike has conceded 4 only bettered by sideshow Bob

Why did we change after the West ham draw?
We were walking the walk, it was a freak equaliser, it's football it happens!

Back