• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

It's not an appalling number if there are only a few between top and bottom and it isn't a long running problem.
Fair point, but taken in conjunction with our stats for possession, time spent in our own box and chances conceded etc over the same period then maybe it does begin to paint a picture?

Fair point, but taken in conjunction with our stats for possession, time spent in our own box and chances conceded etc over the same period then maybe it does begin to paint a picture?

If you look at the stats for this season, it doesn't. We're bang middle for penalties conceded and half of ours were for handballs when the rules were being enforced differently. We are not conceding a lot of penalties from inviting pressure, I'd agree that goals from other sources are coming from this though.

The first reasons that spring to my mind are Aurier's brain farts and when Dier was still recovering match fitness.

So basically the point that I made earlier about the set-piece stats etc. We concede more because there is more action around our box due to defending deep and giving up fouls around our box.
Doesn’t those stats show that isn’t the case (unless you meant we concede more free kicks, not goals, and if so I apologise)?
As in the xG of the free kicks etc isn’t high
Their just typically errors that lead to them being conceded as goals.
Maybe I’ve read it wrong
But the total xG on those set pieces is low for the volume faced, but it’s a cumulation of the number?
Happy to be corrected

Doesn’t those stats show that isn’t the case (unless you meant we concede more free kicks, not goals, and if so I apologise)?
Maybe I’ve read it wrong
But the total xG on those set pieces is low for the volume faced, but it’s a cumulation of the number?
Happy to be corrected
You two are saying the same thing. A relatively high number of the goals we concede are from set pieces because we are good at stopping attacks in open play yet concede a lot of set pieces due to the amount of play in our half and around our box.

If you regularly have to defend 10+ corners a game...you're gonna concede a goal from one of them statistically speaking.

You two are saying the same thing. A relatively high number of the goals we concede are from set pieces because we are good at stopping attacks in open play yet concede a lot of set pieces due to the amount of play in our half and around our box.

If you regularly have to defend 10+ corners a game...you're gonna concede a goal from one of them statistically speaking.
But don’t the stats show that even with the perceived volume we concede they don’t actually amount too much. Your talking about the law of averages basically which doesn’t really work in football.
We’re conceding really low xG goals on free kicks and set pieces. That’s generally either two things; a defensive error or a great finish
I will add that I do think the xG measure of set pieces is quite false as the volume of them naturally reduces the quality by default. You would arguably have more set pieces in a game that any other type of play I assume

But don’t the stats show that even with the perceived volume we concede they don’t actually amount too much.
We’re conceding really low xG goals on free kicks and set pieces. That’s generally either two things; a defensive error or a great finish
I will add that I do think the xG measure of set pieces is quite false as the volume of them naturally reduces the quality by default. You would arguably have more set pieces in a game that any other type of play I assume
We aren't conceding a lot of goals (or scoring) period so even the few set pieces we are conceding have a lot of weight because that is quite visibly one of the few ways teams score against us. So it's more of a perception issue if we speak specifically about set pieces.

The actual problem is that we invite that pressure leads to those situations.

Mourinho talked about a lack of ambition after the Wolves match which I found interesting. Are the players following his instructions too rigidly? Is he trying to have his cake and eat it? Are they failing to counter attack or has he not given them good instructions (I've read many times he doesn't coach offensive shape like the more modern managers do)?

The Wolves game was pretty dreadful but that wasn't from lack of effort, I thought the players were working hard and keeping shape well. Adama was ganged up on every time very comfortably for example.

We aren't conceding a lot of goals (or scoring) period so even the few set pieces we are conceding have a lot of weight because that is quite visibly one of the few ways teams score against us. So it's more of a perception issue if we speak specifically about set pieces.

The actual problem is that we invite that pressure leads to those situations.
Yeah the perception is we concede loads of set pieces and concede form them

has anyone actually shown the number of set pieces we concede compare to other teams? I haven’t seen that yet

Mourinho talked about a lack of ambition after the Wolves match which I found interesting. Are the players following his instructions too rigidly? Is he trying to have his cake and eat it? Are they failing to counter attack or has he not given them good instructions (I've read many times he doesn't coach offensive shape like the more modern managers do)?

The Wolves game was pretty dreadful but that wasn't from lack of effort, I thought the players were working hard and keeping shape well. Adama was ganged up on every time very comfortably for example.
Adama is back to the player that he was before his purple patch last season
Will be interesting if he looks that good again

Maybe I’ve read it wrong
Happy to be corrected

Joint 3rd highest conceded from set-piece, maybe because the ball is constantly around our box and we end up defending more set-pieces in dangerous positions as a result.
Joint 2nd highest conceded from pens, similar to above, defending more balls in our box than most.
2 own goals, defending more crosses etc than most in our box leading to deflections and own goals.
My point above is that we concede more free kicks in dangerous positions and corners due to the fact that we play so deep and have little possession.
If we defended a bit higher the free kicks would be given in less dangerous positions and the number given away would be reduced if we had more possession.
We are actually good defensively, it's the amount of pressure in dangerous areas that is the problem.

Back