• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Can take a long time for a manager to build a bond with supporters and there haven't been many games with both present in order to do so - Fwiw i didn't see him join the players in coming over to fans after the final whistle yesterday so i doubt it's as much a concern for him as it is diamond lights

I was happy about that TBH; I think he is VERY aware of the balances necessary. He should not do that until we have won something. he gets it which is encouraging. Between that and the fact he has "big-upped" Poch a couple of times, he has won me over to a large degree.

It's not Poch its football managers in general. Poch who I liked of course, lacked the Klopp/Jose gene so I found him a little soft. Dislike Jose but respect his managerial excellence, liked Poch but he was a 'nearly guy' and that in sport is a no-no!

"Soft"?
Look, to accurately compare him to Klopp is impossible!!! Did Klopp deal with leaving Anfield for two seasons and moving into a new stadium? No.
He wasn't "soft" I think that's just a lazy viewpoint personally mate.
As for being a "nearly" guy, compared to both Jose and Klopp, Poch was way less experienced. I think he achieved an enormous amount and I think his time will come. What I will agree with is that he is not Mourinho in the sense that Mourinho has been ruthless from the get-go. He is unique.

If we weren't doing well results wise I reckon there'd be more clamour for it, or at least more criticism of our style of play.

What i mean is there's a balance to be found between what we have seen lately and free flowing attacking football - it's being implied you can only have one or the other.

If we weren't doing well results wise I reckon there'd be more clamour for it, or at least more criticism of our style of play.
Considering it’s getting criticises inspite of results (fans and media!) that’s a given.

The effectives of the tactics needed this kind of start to get the buy in from players and (most) fans. If we face a situation where the conservative approach doesn’t work we can write it off if it’s rare / points are in the bank. If it consistently doesn’t work, then like any strategy it will be questioned. When we were under AVB I always felt the high line and relying on Bale to score a worldy was not sustainable, what we have now is a little reliance on our opponent wanting to attack but some comfort that we are less likely to give opponents a 1-0 head start that allows them to play the counter. I can’t remember the last time we put more than 2 last a Goon team in the league so I’m not sure why only winning 2-0 is an issue - The approach has been perfect for the last 3 leagues games imo, the challenge will be the approach to teams who we expect to beat and are happy to play for a point. I’m hoping that we’ll swap Sissoko for someone more attack minded and shuffle the RWF role to give some variety - those two roles, in the sense if their attacking contribution are the ones that need to deliver in some of those matches for us to potentially challenge as opposed to be top 4.

Considering it’s getting criticises inspite of results (fans and media!) that’s a given.

The effectives of the tactics needed this kind of start to get the buy in from players and (most) fans. If we face a situation where the conservative approach doesn’t work we can write it off if it’s rare / points are in the bank. If it consistently doesn’t work, then like any strategy it will be questioned. When we were under AVB I always felt the high line and relying on Bale to score a worldy was not sustainable, what we have now is a little reliance on our opponent wanting to attack but some comfort that we are less likely to give opponents a 1-0 head start that allows them to play the counter. I can’t remember the last time we put more than 2 last a Goon team in the league so I’m not sure why only winning 2-0 is an issue - The approach has been perfect for the last 3 leagues games imo, the challenge will be the approach to teams who we expect to beat and are happy to play for a point. I’m hoping that we’ll swap Sissoko for someone more attack minded and shuffle the RWF role to give some variety - those two roles, in the sense if their attacking contribution are the ones that need to deliver in some of those matches for us to potentially challenge as opposed to be top 4.
To be fair the last two teams we played that took the lead against us got smashed in the end

A further positive aspect is usually it's how you do against your direct competitors (top 6) that will define your season. We should be excited that it appears we have this sussed with the low block tactic.

This is the opposite way round to seasons past (not so much Poch as we were competitive), but this season it looks like we only have the so called easy bit, ie the lesser teams, to conquer and the title is ours.;)

A further positive aspect is usually it's how you do against your direct competitors (top 6) that will define your season. We should be excited that it appears we have this sussed with the low block tactic.

This is the opposite way round to seasons past (not so much Poch as we were competitive), but this season it looks like we only have the so called easy bit, ie the lesser teams, to conquer and the title is ours.;)
Yes I think this is what I was saying - we don’t have the luxury of all teams treating us like Leicester and leaving themselves open to the counter, so we need to show we can adapt to teams looking to do the same to us. Hopefully this is where Bale and the use of Ndombele and Lo Celso will kick in, along with the ability to rotate our other attackers to keep them fresh / ask different questions.

As an aside, on a match by match basis where the points ended up being the same either way, I will take a few turgid performances against weaker teams if we are beating / not losing to rival teams. I still think the league this season is a big ask with a couple of more mature or expensively assembled squads in the mix, but if we are to win a cup the recent performances are what we need to be able to deliver, not so much hammering Fulham 5-0.

I expect these low block tactics to continue against teams that have pacy forwards. We can't allow Dier and Toby to become exposed to gaps in behind them. Where we need to improve is the transition and keep possession better.

NDombele has shown glimpses, LoCelso has been disappointing this season and Bergy really doesn't add much in an attacking sense. When we are firing on all cylinders , I fully expect our overall play to improve.

To be fair the last two teams we played that took the lead against us got smashed in the end
True, neither really sat on it and looked to counter though. To date we’ve managed to overcome a few different scenarios, I don’t expect us to always come up with a last minute goal ala West Brom and in general I think the approach is working well. I just foresee there will be a few games where people may feel we are too risk averse and when we don’t get the result, considering we are discussing it when we have been getting the results!

Yes I think this is what I was saying - we don’t have the luxury of all teams treating us like Leicester and leaving themselves open to the counter, so we need to show we can adapt to teams looking to do the same to us. Hopefully this is where Bale and the use of Ndombele and Lo Celso will kick in, along with the ability to rotate our other attackers to keep them fresh / ask different questions.

As an aside, on a match by match basis where the points ended up being the same either way, I will take a few turgid performances against weaker teams if we are beating / not losing to rival teams. I still think the league this season is a big ask with a couple of more mature or expensively assembled squads in the mix, but if we are to win a cup the recent performances are what we need to be able to deliver, not so much hammering Fulham 5-0.

See the table I posted in thread on league position, we have done well so far against top and bottom (albeit only 11 games in)

Said it earlier .. fudge everyone's narrative

- Top 4 is still primary league objective (considering if you look at the table since Jose's joined, we have pretty much been in top 3, so far so good)
- Success will be ANY cup, make it two and it will be one of the better seasons in the history of the club
- We need to be opportunistic with the league, if we get lucky with injuries and a few opposition results go our way, then maybe ..

I think we need to be careful and not help drive the narrative against our club.

- Jose had the most successful season at United post SAF and people still try to paint it as a failure
- I could see us winning a cup and coming 2nd/3rd in league and asshats will try and pass it off as "underachieved" just to cry down Spurs

Heard we didn't really sing his name yesterday which is disappointing. We're top of the fudging table. He's our manager. Forget the past, forgot what happened at Chelsea. Do you still sit there and whine about your wife's ex-boyfriend? FFS.

Sing his name, he's earned it.

I dont and been married over 50 years but my missus cant stand it when we meet up with one of my ex.

See the table I posted in thread on league position, we have done well so far against top and bottom (albeit only 11 games in)

- Top 4 is still primary league objective (considering if you look at the table since Jose's joined, we have pretty much been in top 3, so far so good)
- Success will be ANY cup, make it two and it will be one of the better seasons in the history of the club
- We need to be opportunistic with the league, if we get lucky with injuries and a few opposition results go our way, then maybe ..

I think we need to be careful and not help drive the narrative against our club.

- Jose had the most successful season at United post SAF and people still try to paint it as a failure
- I could see us winning a cup and coming 2nd/3rd in league and asshats will try and pass it off as "underachieved" just to cry down Spurs
I just saw it before I saw this! Think it’s useful and we need to see a few more as some of the winds against the lower teams were arguably tougher than the top ones.

But maybe I need to review what I’ve been saying as I don’t think I’m driving the narrative against us, if anything I feel I’m one of those challenging it.

To clarify

I am happy with how we are playing, ultimately I’m a results man.
The only narrative I’m trying to pat down is us winning the league, it’s a massive leap and there is long way to go. I always prefer to downplay expectation, see my posts pre Goons. That for me as a fan though, I hope the players have lots of self belief but not arrogance for every game.
I do think we are strong candidates for top 4 and winning a cup, which i think would represent a great season and platform for future success.
I agree Jose’s tenure at United was a success, if only on the basis no one post Fergie had matched it.
I think the press has a Jose and Spurs narrative but at the end of the day it shouldn’t influence how we feel as fans.
I do disagree with some fans who have found the style a tough watch, but if it’s a tough watch while you are beating rival teams in a relatively comfortable manner (more than one goal, not having your keeper make 20 goals and nick the game from a set piece) then I wonder if you will ever truly be happy. As I said my enjoyment comes from the result and my complaints usually arise if the style is ineffective, over a reasonable period of matches.

Great post and one i agree with 100%.

I just saw it before I saw this! Think it’s useful and we need to see a few more as some of the winds against the lower teams were arguably tougher than the top ones.

But maybe I need to review what I’ve been saying as I don’t think I’m driving the narrative against us, if anything I feel I’m one of those challenging it.

To clarify

I am happy with how we are playing, ultimately I’m a results man.
The only narrative I’m trying to pat down is us winning the league, it’s a massive leap and there is long way to go. I always prefer to downplay expectation, see my posts pre Goons. That for me as a fan though, I hope the players have lots of self belief but not arrogance for every game.
I do think we are strong candidates for top 4 and winning a cup, which i think would represent a great season and platform for future success.
I agree Jose’s tenure at United was a success, if only on the basis no one post Fergie had matched it.
I think the press has a Jose and Spurs narrative but at the end of the day it shouldn’t influence how we feel as fans.
I do disagree with I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you who have found the style a tough watch, but if it’s a tough watch while you are beating rival teams in a relatively comfortable manner (more than one goal, not having your keeper make 20 goals and nick the game from a set piece) then I wonder if you will ever truly be happy. As I said my enjoyment comes from the result and my complaints usually arise if the style is ineffective, over a reasonable period of matches.

The narrative comment wasn't specifically aimed at you .. it's how easy Spurs fans (in general) are sucked into the media narrative (which is anti-Spurs for a good part, easiest example is can you imagine we had appointed an ex Spurs player to replace Poch, bought Willian and were 15th in the league, do you think a single media outlet would give us the slack Arteta is getting?)

I actually don't find Jose's football hard to watch (we have scored 49 goals in 20 games with a +30GD at a 65% win percentage, 8 games out of the 20 with 3+ GF), I've always had a preference for counter attacking football as well (not hoof, but genuine good football at break, see our 2nd goal against Scum)

I've learnt to enjoy Spurs a little more day by day, honestly would really like to see us get some measurable success (trophies) but doesn't change how I feel about the club, nowadays I just stay off the board when we have a crap game, can't deal with the complete negativity. We will have that moment again, this year, next or whenever (club has right foundations in place)

But agree with League, really hard competition to win, luck and what others do are probably as much a factor as what we do ..

Back