• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I can understand the dislike for Jose. He seems very witty and intelligent but we all know he has a nasty streak which probably helps him to win things. If he's not your manager, you probably hate him.

I don't get the lack of Poch love though?
Ive always enjoyed Stephens' posts because he strikes me as one of those people who are only truly happy when they have something to whinge about....:D

I can understand the dislike for Jose. He seems very witty and intelligent but we all know he has a nasty streak which probably helps him to win things. If he's not your manager, you probably hate him.

I don't get the lack of Poch love though?

It's not Poch its football managers in general. Poch who I liked of course, lacked the Klopp/Jose gene so I found him a little soft. Dislike Jose but respect his managerial excellence, liked Poch but he was a 'nearly guy' and that in sport is a no-no!

It's not Poch its football managers in general. Poch who I liked of course, lacked the Klopp/Jose gene so I found him a little soft. Dislike Jose but respect his managerial excellence, liked Poch but he was a 'nearly guy' and that in sport is a no-no!

Fair enough. At this point, you can't argue with the "nearly guy" tag but he still hasn't been at a club where you'd expect trophies. I hope he finds that as his next (foreign) club.

What he did for us was remarkable. To take us from the apathy of Tactics Tim's reign to four top 4 finishes, 2 of which were when we were playing at Wembley, was an amazing achievement. Throw into the mix two of those were decent title challenges and we got to the CL final and I will forever be grateful to the guy. He also conducted himself, for the most part, with dignity and class. While I got frustrated with his frustration at the end, he'll always have a special place for me. But I guess that discussion has been rehashed a million times on here. We're on the Jose bandwagon now.

The King is dead. Long live the King.

We will be fine, the argument after the first 6/7 games was that we hadn't really played anyone decent other than Man U. Now we have and come through unscathed its natural that people are going to search for another reason that we cant maintain our form.
We have many ways to skin a cat, its not just the Kane/Son show - we have just been so good and clinical we havent even needed Vini or Bale to come off the bench yet(other than Vini against WBA) or to have Lo Celso and N'Dombele on the pitch at the same time etc.....
I am cautiously optimistic and not letting myself get too carried away. I think we are in the best position we have been in since Enic took over, with all the key components in place to be successful i.e a great squad with strength in depth, aligned with a top manager who has won every thing in the domestic game. It's really exciting and tbh who will care if we win the PL if we were not always playing exciting football? Do Leicester fans or Chelsea fans care? 1961; that's the last year we won the title, we came very close with Poch in 16/17 I would love it if we did it this year. There's me getting excited again..

This is so unfair on Poch. He made us title challengers proper ( for the 1st time in my 40 years of supporting Spurs) and Champions League finalists for the first time in our history with probably the weakest squad depth of recent managers.

I didn’t see any cry about it when Leicester defended like dogs,sat deep conceding possession and just hit it over the top to Vardy all season long. And we play better football now than they ever did. It’s just because it’s Mourinho, a lot of the press and rival fans can’t stand him - and that’s because he’s so good at what he does....

tickle my balls with a feather, he is a winner and a very good manager and it amazed me to hear s ome fans of ours made it obvious that they did not like/want him, despite that he wins things.

This is so unfair on Poch. He made us title challengers proper ( for the 1st time in my 40 years of supporting Spurs) and Champions League finalists for the first time in our history with probably the weakest squad depth of recent managers.

Poch was very likeable but that doesn't win football matches. He did ok but no cigar.

Not much difference in current squad depth to then.

tickle my balls with a feather, he is a winner and a very good manager and it amazed me to hear s ome fans of ours made it obvious that they did not like/want him, despite that he wins things.

Lazy narratives, and fans often follow along ..

Paul Merson -> Kane will never score goals under Jose as strikers suffer in his system, fudging really? Ronaldo, Drogba, Ibra, Benezema how many WC strikers have to thrive under a guy to kill this brick?
Pundits (As of last night) and fans -> Jose is playing this terrible to watch football?
- Yet, we have scored 23 goals in first 11 PL matches (trying to find the stat, but we haven't done that in a very long time), only outscored by Pool and Chelsea (26 & 25)
- We have two out of the top 5 scorers in PL (nobody else has two in top 10)
- We have won 14 out of first 20 games in all comps with just 2 losses

Somehow, not playing naïve stupid attacking, not allowing the opposition into a game for no reason is "boring football"

Football is changing again, it will be interesting to see this season play out

- Right now, we are top of PL and Atletico is top of La Liga, any commonalities in the managers?

aware how my following post will read but i'll write it regardless...

I loved Poch. But that's done now, it's gone, i don't know why on page 296 of a Jose Mourinho thread people are still bringing him up.

Jose is our new manager, and we're currently performing at seriously impressive levels as @Raziel said above. Thats's all we need to discuss. I want fudging trophies, not a "played some free flowing attacking football" trophy at the end of the year.

The US commentators were saying that this season favours Jose's style of play. Given the lack of time between games the high-energy, high press game can lead to much more burn out. And while I'd have loved us to have gone all out in the second half and annihilated those Scum, I look at the league table which makes me feel better.

aware how my following post will read but i'll write it regardless...

I loved Poch. But that's done now, it's gone, i don't know why on page 296 of a Jose Mourinho thread people are still bringing him up.

Jose is our new manager, and we're currently performing at seriously impressive levels as @Raziel said above. Thats's all we need to discuss. I want fudging trophies, not a "played some free flowing attacking football" trophy at the end of the year.

Because threads on here are fluid so can and often do veer from the subject - Poch discussion last page centers on Stephen saying he didn't have much love for him, as an example, rather than being borne out of any Mourinho v Poch discussion. This is a small board and threads aren't going to be micro managed.

With regards to :

I want fudging trophies, not a "played some free flowing attacking football" trophy at the end of the year.

That's a very ends justifying the means outlook for me - it means if we fall short of the title and/or European success it will be hard to justify the football. Also i think there's a bit of revisionism creeping in lately on this point where the last era is ever increasing being referred to as weak/soft and free flowing attacking football, when it was a lot more balanced than that and had a strong defensive work ethic that was a huge part of it's identity. What is being described lately us something more akin to Jol or Redknapp sides.

Last edited:
Because threads on here are fluid so can and often do veer from the subject - Poch discussion last page centers on Stephen saying he didn't have much love for him, as an example, rather than being borne out of any Mourinho v Poch discussion. This is a small board and threads aren't going to be micro managed.

With regards to :

I want fudging trophies, not a "played some free flowing attacking football" trophy at the end of the year.

That's a very ends justifying the means outlook for me - it means if we fall short of the title and/or European success it will be hard to justify the football.
But we would be no worse than we were before Jose

With regards to :

That's a very ends justifying the means outlook for me - it means if we fall short of the title and/or European success it will be hard to justify the football.

Your forgetting, Jose is not going to be measured by "nearly" Levy didn't hire this guy and back him for "top 4 +entertainment"

- Jose is going to be measured by what he wins and what he achieves (and that's what's different to the last managers back to Ramos who are looked on fondly for the odd good run and top 4/6)

Since he's been here, including that brickshow of injuries and resultant crash in form last season, we have consistently been in top 3

- To me, we can do top 4 minimum which is the "best" everyone else in the last 12 years has been able to manage

What we need to do is convert one or more of the cups and be opportunistic with the league (I still think that's a little out of reach)

So yes, I don't agree that our football is unattractive in the way some people believe (Son, Kane, Ndombele, Gio, Reguilon play some breathtaking stuff at times), if your opinion is possession = attractiveness, ok .. but .. the measurement for Jose is trophies .. nothing else ..

Worse in terms of entertainment value is what is being argued. If we win major trophies the style of play can be overlooked, less so if it doesn't bring with it silverware.
Depend again on the value of wins vs playing pretty football
Can be argued that winnings games is entertainment

Depend again on the value of wins vs playing pretty football
Can be argued that winnings games is entertainment

It is

What will be interesting is how long we can keep up a challenge, we are top, Jose is a winner, Poch was accused of not getting us over the line so by rights and the reason Jose is here we should run close no?

Back