• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

John Stones

Some people would mock it as a deal given Emirates Marketing Project's defence, but if its a loan with option to buy, I wouldnt have a problem with it at all. Home grown as well, and we're short of a body at CB in my view

They currently have Dias and Ake, plus Laporte, Garcia and Stones as well as Fernandinho who can cover at CB. I know Garcia was linked with Barca so if thats happening then presumably Stones wouldnt be allowed to leave. If he's 5th choice CB there though, I could understand him having an interest in moving on

He's got the tools to be a very good player but never managed to get it all together. I'd be happy with a loan with option to buy. It'd definitely be sink or swim for him working under Mourinho.

Would definitely take him as he's a cut above Dier and Sanchez but two things make me think this won't happen:

1. City won't want to sell to us
2. He's a nice ball playing centre back. Not really the type of CB Jose likes.

Maybe it's not always the player's fault ... I'm looking at it objectively and can see that Pep has failed miserably with his defensive purchases ... not one CB that has he brought to Emirates Marketing Project has justified the price, the value, or stood out as exceptional. The system deployed by Pep means that the defender should almost be perfect in every footballing trait.

Mourinho on the other hand makes good defenders seem better with his systems and tactics. I'd be happy with Stones.

Would definitely take him as he's a cut above Dier and Sanchez but two things make me think this won't happen:

1. City won't want to sell to us
2. He's a nice ball playing centre back. Not really the type of CB Jose likes.

Why won't City sell to us? They have previously as we have sold to them also.

Stones was never a ball playing CB, he just looked good at doing basic things that defenders should be able to do in the modern game. I have never seen him as this silky ball playing CB, rather a player that plays well in a system and sticks to basics.

If you can get him on loan then yeh its a good deal, he is 26 and was great before Emirates Marketing Project got hold of him and stuck him in their merry go round

Why won't City sell to us? They have previously as we have sold to them also.

Stones was never a ball playing CB, he just looked good at doing basic things that defenders should be able to do in the modern game. I have never seen him as this silky ball playing CB, rather a player that plays well in a system and sticks to basics.

We sold them Walker. Has there been much other recent business between us? I really believe this is the last signing we need to have a squad as good as anyone else's. City will know that too.

Anytime I've seen Stones, he's fancied himself as a ball playing centre back. And he's pretty good too. Better on the ball than most centre backs. He's almost a really good Foyth which I don't mean as an insult.

Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly have him but I just don't see it.

He would make a superb DM and under Jose a very good CB.

Rarely seen someone with his composure, I remember when we battered them at The Lane, he never hid, continually asking for the ball and playing the way his manager had told him to do.

We sold them, Walker. Has there been much other recent business between us? I really believe this is the last signing we need to have a squad as good as anyone else's. City will know that too.

Anytime I've seen Stones, he's fancied himself as a ball-playing centre back. And he's pretty good too. Better on the ball than most centre backs. He's almost a really good Foyth which I don't mean as an insult.

Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly have him but I just don't see it.

We would have sold them Berbatov etc ... they have not pursued any player since Walker and we have not really gone after any of their players (For the obvious wage and transfer reasons). There doesn't seem to be any bad blood between the clubs like us and Chelsea/west ham/ Man united/ arsenal etc.

He is a fringe player now at City and probably fancies himself to do well away from City and get back into the England fold, could mean he is willing to sacrifice some of his salary and motivated to prove himself. Win-win situation if it is a Loan to buy clause inserted.

Some people would mock it as a deal given Emirates Marketing Project's defence, but if its a loan with option to buy, I wouldnt have a problem with it at all. Home grown as well, and we're short of a body at CB in my view
The problem is he isn't actually good. The hype is mainly because for an English CB he is very comfortable on the ball and that is relatively rare on these shoes. Defensively he's a mess and always has been. The belief had been that you could improve his defensive skills but it's never going to happen.

Back