• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

Re the comments about our fans

it is infuriating the way we do business. Time and again we make the same mistakes (lack of investment at key times. Dawdling trying to save money rather than going out and getting a deal done).

we’ve just been beaten, outclassed 3 times in 2 weeks by one of our biggest rivals. We didn’t manage to score a goal. We have a fantastic, ambitious manager. We have a genuine chance to get back in to the champions league.

our fans have every right to get upset and to demand investment in to the team.

And we've also seen what splashing the cash without getting the right players in can do to a side. It is arguably one of the most damaging things we could do. Signing the wrong players can be popular short term - Ndombele, Lo Celco were celebrated signings. We spent 100m whoop. Yet it has left us hamstrung. There is no point signing players who won't improve us. The 'just go sign someone so fans feel a little rosy' thing is a load of gonad*s as well. As longer term it creates more problems. You have to sit back and trust that the fresh Director of Football and his team know what they are doing.

How did we transition from honest supporters in WHL, a close-knit, loyal appreciative fanbase, to what Arse TV represents? I guess we are just getting older and the Twitter reality of younger modern support is upon us. I used to feel we were a more grounded fan base. But post new stadium, 'we' have definitely changed. It is a sign of the clubs elevation too, but it is interesting to see how expectations and attitudes have developed over recent years.

It is harder to make signings now. Simply because we are a better team. Yes we are in a transition phase and its a crucial time to rebuild, but why wet your pants over it? I do miss the fun days when the internet was fresh and people used to excitedly post genuine crap/intel. :) Times change, and now, any info we get, we get for a reason.

2010 and getting top 4 for the first time.

Twitter has made these transfer windows worse than ever. I need to just tune out until it's all over. Getting angry over our approach based on headlines that may be nonsense.
TBH I feel I've always been fairly level headed when it comes to Spurs and not got too emotional and angry. But some of our decision making over these past 2 years have almost felt like sabotage on occasions. Its unreal.
But where else can I go to get all frothy mouthed about brick I don't care about? I refuse to read The Mail!

Twitter has made these transfer windows worse than ever. I need to just tune out until it's all over. Getting angry over our approach based on headlines that may be nonsense.
TBH I feel I've always been fairly level headed when it comes to Spurs and not got too emotional and angry. But some of our decision making over these past 2 years have almost felt like sabotage on occasions. Its unreal.

It does feel a bit underwhelming at the moment. I know nothing of this lad but the fact he's not getting into Fiorentina's team doesn't bode well. The fact it reportedly hinges on Ndombele going also suggests it is a sell before you buy policy.

But...I was feeling a bit like this last summer and Levy went and pulled Bale and Vinicius out of the hat at the last minute. There was also the VDV deal in 2010. I know this is frustrating but judging the window on the 25th January would be like the team giving in after 94 minutes against Leicester last week. Let's see what comes out of the window before judging it. It's not like we even have games between now and when it closes.

And we've also seen what splashing the cash without getting the right players in can do to a side. It is arguably one of the most damaging things we could do. Signing the wrong players can be popular short term - Ndombele, Lo Celco were celebrated signings. We spent 100m whoop. Yet it has left us hamstrung. There is no point signing players who won't improve us. The 'just go sign someone so fans feel a little rosy' thing is a load of gonad*s as well. As longer term it creates more problems. You have to sit back and trust that the fresh Director of Football and his team know what they are doing.

Exactly. The recruitment process has been dreadful for years. We have wasted fortunes. We don't trust that the DoF (who tried to appoint Gattuso and also recommended we appoint Nuno) knows what he's doing - yet. Mostly because his hands seem to be tied by the lack of funds coming from above.

The team needs an injection of quality now and today we're being linked with players who can't get in the Fiorentina team and youth players from France.

It's infuriating. It's not just this window, these frustrations have been building for years.

We seem to be linked to a number of players that do not start for their clubs, while the players that do start, don't want to sign for us :D

It does feel a bit underwhelming at the moment. I know nothing of this lad but the fact he's not getting into Fiorentina's team doesn't bode well. The fact it reportedly hinges on Ndombele going also suggests it is a sell before you buy policy.

But...I was feeling a bit like this last summer and Levy went and pulled Bale and Vinicius out of the hat at the last minute. There was also the VDV deal in 2010. I know this is frustrating but judging the window on the 25th January would be like the team giving in after 94 minutes against Leicester last week. Let's see what comes out of the window before judging it. It's not like we even have games between now and when it closes.

Yep I for one am not the type to get up in arms about our transfer policy or wheelings and dealings usually. But it's all been so disjointed for so long now.
Signing players for a decent wedge of money and never even giving them an opportunity to even get close to competing in the first team to me is strange, when we miss out on so many good targets.

Now Gil may prove to be a lovely player in the end. But who green lighted a transfer where we paid 25m euros and first team regular Erik Lamela for a kid who has barely featured in any PL game. It makes it very difficult to be sympathetic towards the club when they say the pandemic has affected us (which it undoubtedly has). Spending £10m on Clarke, £11m+ for Rodon... I haven;t got an issue with these types of signings but it just doesn't feel very joined up.

We have openly admitted to being a club who is opportunistic about what potential transfers are made available to us. And yes I'm sure this is how it works in football at the highest levels, but we need to be a bit more savvy and together in our thinking. We need to have good scouts identifying good players who can genuinely challenge and improve our first team. It's real basic stuff.

Yep I for one am not the type to get up in arms about our transfer policy or wheelings and dealings usually. But it's all been so disjointed for so long now.
Signing players for a decent wedge of money and never even giving them an opportunity to even get close to competing in the first team to me is strange, when we miss out on so many good targets.

Now Gil may prove to be a lovely player in the end. But who green lighted a transfer where we paid 25m euros and first team regular Erik Lamela for a kid who has barely featured in any PL game. It makes it very difficult to be sympathetic towards the club when they say the pandemic has affected us (which it undoubtedly has). Spending £10m on Clarke, £11m+ for Rodon... I haven;t got an issue with these types of signings but it just doesn't feel very joined up.

We have openly admitted to being a club who is opportunistic about what potential transfers are made available to us. And yes I'm sure this is how it works in football at the highest levels, but we need to be a bit more savvy and together in our thinking. We need to have good scouts identifying good players who can genuinely challenge and improve our first team. It's real basic stuff.

Changes in managers, no DoF for a long time, now a new DoF. This is the result isn't it?

Can only hope this window and the summer sees a more positive and cohesive development.

Quite happy about the Gil signing though. Seems a real special talent to me, must have been greenlit by Paratici, no?

Exactly. The recruitment process has been dreadful for years. We have wasted fortunes. We don't trust that the DoF (who tried to appoint Gattuso and also recommended we appoint Nuno) knows what he's doing - yet. Mostly because his hands seem to be tied by the lack of funds coming from above.

The team needs an injection of quality now and today we're being linked with players who can't get in the Fiorentina team and youth players from France.

It's infuriating. It's not just this window, these frustrations have been building for years.

Is anything okay dear? :) We ended up with Conte so have to try and be a tad balanced when summing it all up.

Poch and the stadium affected transfers there's no doubt. Poch never really made a good singing. Most of the best under his tenure were made while he was the coach and not manager. He lost his job because Ndombele and Lo Celco didn't deliver. Maybe he would have got more from them, but time ran out.

There are some contradictions - "we wasted fortunes" vs "the lack of funds coming from above". We have spent money. How many teams have ever spent 50m+ on a football player? Can't be all that many. We'll do it for the right player. This time we have to ensure we don't fuk it up. Becuase we don't have an oil well paying for our mistakes. Fans expectations have gone completely out of sync with reality.

Everything is fine except for a lifetime of being a spurs fan!

I think our expectations aren't that out of reality really.

Last season we had Bale, Vinicius and Lamela. We let them all go, whilst spending 20 million on Gil. An inexperienced prospect who would naturally take at least a season to find his feet. Poor planning.

Is it unreasonable to expect experienced players to be replaced? Is it unreasonable to expect us to find a back up striker? I don't think so.

COYS

Changes in managers, no DoF for a long time, now a new DoF. This is the result isn't it?

Can only hope this window and the summer sees a more positive and cohesive development.

Quite happy about the Gil signing though. Seems a real special talent to me, must have been greenlit by Paratici, no?
I really like him too. I have doubts about how he will get into this Conte team but lets see. I just think when you are Tottenham Hotspur, and you spend £40m on a player they need to be ready to make an impact today. That's what we need.

So Paratici does his Paratici thing? Looks at a lot of different potential deals before making a decision?

This is my assumption, maybe we're just trying to negotiate with Kessie and his agent to get that over the line this month whilst feeding all the journos info on all these other targets.

Everything is fine except for a lifetime of being a spurs fan!

I think our expectations aren't that out of reality really.

Last season we had Bale, Vinicius and Lamela. We let them all go, whilst spending 20 million on Gil. An inexperienced prospect who would naturally take at least a season to find his feet. Poor planning.

Is it unreasonable to expect experienced players to be replaced? Is it unreasonable to expect us to find a back up striker? I don't think so.

COYS

We have wasted a lot of money. There is no doubt. I think only 5 British clubs have ever spent over 50m? Maybe. https://thefootballfaithful.com/every-premier-league-transfer-over-50-million/

If I have a criticism of Levy is he has been too hungry and too impatient - fan like - if you will. And trying to get us up and winning faster, he's not always succeeded. Chopping managers, spending on players like Bale...its fun, but it is wasteful.

But now we have a DoF. It is a different system. We are not close to the oiled clubs level of spending. A 50m+ signing is a big deal for us still. City and Chelsea can buy a couple of duds at that price and re-fill the coffers with more oil money. We can't. But we are still the 5 or 6th largest club, with pretensions of challenging for the top. I'll take that. There will be bumps in the road. We've hit a number over the last few years. Now we need some patience again.

Back