• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

The weird thing about Clarke is you’d think Poch would have consulted his favourite leg botherer, but it was rather telling that the club that sold him to us don’t play him when he went back on loan to them.
But they did play him before
He did also have his health issues
But it’s impossible to know what’s gone wrong with him… or maybe he was never that good
I honestly don’t know

The fans don't matter. They don't matter when we don't buy players, so likewise they don't matter when we sell players. The fans will get over it when you at the same time improve the side.

I remember Liverpool fans crying and screaming when they sold coutinho, a season later the side had actually improved with the sale and they had won a CL and a PL. Now not a single one of their fans with any sense bemoans the sale of Coutinho.

Re a lack of interest in Dele. We are known for being particularly difficult to negotiate with so would likely have had to put feelers out to let clubs know he was available for a price. Again this is what the club's with a joint up transfer strategy do. It's really not revolutionary or even particularly outside of the box thinking but we seem incapable of it.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
All the pool fans I know thought it was a robbery considering the money they got
But as I say we never had anyone genuinely push for dele that I remember

Yep
And he was never that good despite the hype
I remember saying so at the time
I liked the look of his potential when he broke through but never for 45m. To be fair to him between Mourinho and Solsjkaer probably the worst time he could have gone to United as a young developing player in terms of coaching!

And yet because we've waited and held on to Dele for so long we'll struggle to get 30m for him despite his prior reputation. The club's needs to learn to move in the moment and sometimes you have to just do the move when it makes the most sense. You sell at the height of a player's performance and standing in the game and if you can't quite confirm that time, you sell just as they are begining their downward slope.

Our selling players needs to improve massively. Right back to keeping Gomes and Bentley for so long they went on frees. Waste of wages and lack of funds to reinvest.

We should have sold Ndombele after 18 months, his coaches would have been able to see in training after 12 months if he was likely to make it. You would still got clubs in Europe take a punt on him, now not really.

If you do not have unlimited funds this is the path you have to take. Every now and again you will get one wrong and he will go on to do well elsewhere. But the cost to the team and reinvesting is far worse holding on to long.

I liked the look of his potential when he broke through but never for 45m. To be fair to him between Mourinho and Solsjkaer probably the worst time he could have gone to United as a young developing player in terms of coaching!
The guy was a winger converted to right back but was so weak attacking wise
He is a great one on one defender just like Tanganga but needed to improve his attacking side (which he has marginally)

All the pool fans I know thought it was a robbery considering the money they got
But as I say we never had anyone genuinely push for dele that I remember
Interesting because all of the ones I know hated the idea of him being sold for any figure. Even after they bought VVD they still moaned about Coutinho. Then after a while they never moaned anymore, even RAWK was like that. That forum had a full meltdown when the Coutinho deal was announced. [emoji23]

Interesting because all of the ones I know hated the idea of him being sold for any figure. Even after they bought VVD they still moaned about Coutinho. Then after a while they never moaned anymore, even RAWK was like that. That forum had a full meltdown when the Coutinho deal was announced. [emoji23]

Yeah I know 4 or 5 lads who go
And they thought it was a robbery as I say
£140m ish was crazy for a player they valued at much much less
But they didn’t want to sell him of course

Twitter has made these transfer windows worse than ever. I need to just tune out until it's all over. Getting angry over our approach based on headlines that may be nonsense.
TBH I feel I've always been fairly level headed when it comes to Spurs and not got too emotional and angry. But some of our decision making over these past 2 years have almost felt like sabotage on occasions. Its unreal.

Twitter has made these transfer windows worse than ever. I need to just tune out until it's all over. Getting angry over our approach based on headlines that may be nonsense.
TBH I feel I've always been fairly level headed when it comes to Spurs and not got too emotional and angry. But some of our decision making over these past 2 years have almost felt like sabotage on occasions. Its unreal.

Honestly, every single window I realise that the fanbase I despise the most may well be our own.

Honestly, every single window I realise that the fanbase I despise the most may well be our own.

How did we transition from honest supporters in WHL, a close-knit, loyal appreciative fanbase, to what Arse TV represents? I guess we are just getting older and the Twitter reality of younger modern support is upon us. I used to feel we were a more grounded fan base. But post new stadium, 'we' have definitely changed. It is a sign of the clubs elevation too, but it is interesting to see how expectations and attitudes have developed over recent years.

It is harder to make signings now. Simply because we are a better team. Yes we are in a transition phase and its a crucial time to rebuild, but why wet your pants over it? I do miss the fun days when the internet was fresh and people used to excitedly post genuine crap/intel. :) Times change, and now, any info we get, we get for a reason.

We must 100% be skint. He warms their bench.

This and Traore is the old Saha and Nelson window all over again.

We are not ambitious enough to win anything, just competitive (Levys words) enough to keep the punters turning up.

Re the comments about our fans

it is infuriating the way we do business. Time and again we make the same mistakes (lack of investment at key times. Dawdling trying to save money rather than going out and getting a deal done).

we’ve just been beaten, outclassed 3 times in 2 weeks by one of our biggest rivals. We didn’t manage to score a goal. We have a fantastic, ambitious manager. We have a genuine chance to get back in to the champions league.

our fans have every right to get upset and to demand investment in to the team.

At the time the club probably thought we had more attacking tools than we did. Right now I think it’s quite clear we have a favoured 3 + Bergwijn to cover any of them. Room for one or two more.

What if I said to you now £20m for Traore or £30m for Olise. No offence to Traore but 90% of the fan base would set up a go fund me for the extra £10m.

I guess the problem now is that clubs don’t need to sell and it’s highly unlikely the lad is gonna make any noise to move.

Olise was available for £8m in the summer, it was a no brainer for anyone who had a clue, I was gutted we did not go in for him. There are diamonds in the Championship if you look close close enough.

Back