• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

If we miss out on Vlahovic, then Luka Jovic would be a cut-priced back-up yet proven in a major league from his time in Germany

Another option, but not proven in a major league, is Darwin Nunez at Benfica. He's looked bl00dy brilliant in the times I've seen him - powerful, mobile, can play wide in a 4-3-3 or at CF...another decent season in Portugal and he'll cost a fortune

If we miss out on Vlahovic, then Luka Jovic would be a cut-priced back-up yet proven in a major league from his time in Germany

Another option, but not proven in a major league, is Darwin Nunez at Benfica. He's looked bl00dy brilliant in the times I've seen him - powerful, mobile, can play wide in a 4-3-3 or at CF...another decent season in Portugal and he'll cost a fortune
Nunez would be a good signing but not one that’s gonna be “cheap”
Belotti is one we should go for

Nunez would be a good signing but not one that’s gonna be “cheap”
Belotti is one we should go for

Never been massively impressed with Belotti - seemed quite one-dimensional to me. The only thing which changes the attraction of him is his contract

Agree Nunez wouldnt be cheap, but probably less than Vlahovic if signed soon

A bullying target man centre forward simply must must must be our top priority this window. It is the one position we simply don't have any cover for. It will allow Kane to both have the heavy lifting taken away from him and the opportunity to be rotated.

The thought of Son, Kane and Vlahović rotating for two positions up front would mean they would all have enough minutes without tiring themselves out. It would mean they would be less likely to pick up injuries due to overplaying, but would also enable us to always play a lethal front 2

Never been massively impressed with Belotti - seemed quite one-dimensional to me. The only thing which changes the attraction of him is his contract

Agree Nunez wouldnt be cheap, but probably less than Vlahovic if signed soon
Nunez has a €150m fee and city are interested
Very very good player though
Belotti is quick, 2 footed and shoots in sight. Tailor made for a conte team IMO
And also he would see this as the biggest move of his career with a point to prove
Add in a very low fee and it’s a player who would be great for any side IMO
The lad form river plate could be an option and would also be a WF player too when conte leaves and we change systems

A bullying target man centre forward simply must must must be our top priority this window. It is the one position we simply don't have any cover for. It will allow Kane to both have the heavy lifting taken away from him and the opportunity to be rotated.

A striker should be very high up the list.

Not sure about a bullying target man though, if so he should also have other clear qualities to make him versatile.

The "perfect" striker signing would be a good match with either Kane or Son, be able to lead the line physically either in a three or two and be good in one of the wider roles in a three. Being able to be a backup for Kane, but also play with Kane in a three or two, versatility.

Kane himself isn't really a bullying target man. Having that option would be good, but given a choice between that and versatility I would go with versatility for sure.

Not sure who that "perfect" signing is mind, just talking about type of player.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you seen Torino play over the last 3 years? I only ask because 94 goals in 216 league matches seems very respectable to me. Also, could you clarify by what you mean by 'one dimensional'?

A striker should be very high up the list.

Not sure about a bullying target man though, if so he should also have other clear qualities to make him versatile.

The "perfect" striker signing would be a good match with either Kane or Son, be able to lead the line physically either in a three or two and be good in one of the wider roles in a three. Being able to be a backup for Kane, but also play with Kane in a three or two, versatility.

Kane himself isn't really a bullying target man. Having that option would be good, but given a choice between that and versatility I would go with versatility for sure.

Not sure who that "perfect" signing is mind, just talking about type of player.

While I agree with a lot of that, for me, one of the main reasons we lose control of games ( still quite frequently imo) is that we have no hold up play from a target man any more. Kane is largely shirking this role - he is almost always beaten by opponent centre halves to high balls, which then come straight back at us all too often. Worryingly, he is now beaten to the ball on the ground and his ball control has largely deserted him in this role. He seems ( understandably some might say) to rarely engage in a physical battle to win balls any more. A good old fashioned cf would take this role away from him and allow him to drop deeper in more of a Sherringham role, to which he is much better suited imo.

The thought of Son, Kane and Vlahović rotating for two positions up front would mean they would all have enough minutes without tiring themselves out. It would mean they would be less likely to pick up injuries due to overplaying, but would also enable us to always play a lethal front 2
I think you have to put Moura in the equation too. If we are playing 2 up, it's back to the Berbatov (Kane), Keane (Son), Mido (Fat Daz) and Defoe (Moura) days. And you ideally you want a combination of one of the big CFs with one of the quicker supporting players

I think you have to put Moura in the equation too. If we are playing 2 up, it's back to the Berbatov (Kane), Keane (Son), Mido (Fat Daz) and Defoe (Moura) days. And you ideally you want a combination of one of the big CFs with one of the quicker supporting players

I like Moura, but he does not score enough goals to play in a front 2 for me. Besides, I think Conte likes him just where he is.

I disagree. Based on the eye test I think any combination of Son, Kane and Vlahović would work as all three players seem both intelligent and adaptable. Moura is nowhere no Defoe and Keane when it comes to scoring goals

While I agree with a lot of that, for me, one of the main reasons we lose control of games ( still quite frequently imo) is that we have no hold up play from a target man any more. Kane is largely shirking this role - he is almost always beaten by opponent centre halves to high balls, which then come straight back at us all too often. Worryingly, he is now beaten to the ball on the ground and his ball control has largely deserted him in this role. He seems ( understandably some might say) to rarely engage in a physical battle to win balls any more. A good old fashioned cf would take this role away from him and allow him to drop deeper in more of a Sherringham role, to which he is much better suited imo.

Disagree somewhat on Kane shirking that role, but not important.

I see your point and reasoning. My concern would be about what other qualities said target man has or lacks.

-Quick enough to run in behind? If not can we play this lad and Kane? Would lose a lot of that threat on the break and in general that's really important.

-Good enough on the ball to play wider in a three? If not he's just a Kane backup. Not going to get much game time, problems follow.

-Good enough in buildup play to do the drop deep thing? If not are we getting that from Son when Kane is out?

-Good enough goalscorer? If not he's not going to work out.

Again, need that versatility too. If it's versatility and being a bullying target man, that's fine.

Being strong enough to bully PL centre backs is a rather specific and rare quality. Limits our options severely if that's the requirement. Literally Kane wouldn't fit that requirement by your description.

If you have specific names in mind that's cool.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you seen Torino play over the last 3 years? I only ask because 94 goals in 216 league matches seems very respectable to me. Also, could you clarify by what you mean by 'one dimensional'?

Possibly not enough, if others rate him that highly. 94 in 216 in Italy is good, though from a quick check 16 were penalties. Can make you own mind up whether you include those or not, given that with scoring records you need to think about like for like comparisons e.g you could compare his record with Kane's given both take penalties, but its less comparable with, say, Lukaku or a Man U CF given Jorginho and Fernandes take pens in those teams

By 'one dimensional', I mean, well, stereotypically British! A big lump but lacking guile and creativity. A modern day Les Ferdinand? Conte likes a focal point to attacks so perhaps that works but could Belotti and Kane form a partnership? As @braineclipse said above, the ideal CF would be able to partner with Kane or Son, or with Kane AND Son (i.e. in a 2 or in a 3)....in fact, is that an 'ideal' CF or is it a base requirement? If the new guy can't play with Kane then I think its a problem

As I said, I don't profess to have seen him week in, week out, but can't say that I've been blown away from what I've seen. But with minimal/no fee....

The guys a one touch finisher
Imagine that in front of Kanes passing or a son cut back

I disagree. Based on the eye test I think any combination of Son, Kane and Vlahović would work as all three players seem both intelligent and adaptable. Moura is nowhere no Defoe and Keane when it comes to scoring goals
What scenario would you play 2 big hold up players with limited pace? If we are dominating possession and bombarding the box, maybe. But I think it's quite rare you'd want to try with no direct outlet to complement a big man. Kane and llorente never worked as a pair, except for that final 10 minute bombardment

What scenario would you play 2 big hold up players with limited pace? If we are dominating possession and bombarding the box, maybe. But I think it's quite rare you'd want to try with no direct outlet to complement a big man. Kane and llorente never worked as a pair, except for that final 10 minute bombardment
That’s because lamppost couldn’t move
The guy was static
He was effective with son as son moved
Kane has exceptional movement
And Vlahovic (not that we will get him now which is a shame) is much quicker than you think

Yep
And a 9 when playing with son
But we play as a pair when we play in a 2

Kane playing as a 10 behind Belotti reduces Kane's effectiveness in my view. His link up play is very good, but I think reducing the impact of our one world class player in order to get Belotti into the team would be odd IMO

Back