• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Vertonghen and Fazio or whoever the hell Poch ends up wanting as our long term centre back pairing need some serious sessions in training working as a pair. Was alarming how easily Bony found space in the box today.

He's certainly improved recently but I always feel our centre backs are never drawn to the ball like a magnet in the way a lot of good centre backs are.

Fazio just watched him peel off time and time again and didnt react.
Are they meant to be marking space instead of the man? Was that the tactic here?
I really dont get it.

Fazio just watched him peel off time and time again and didnt react.
Are they meant to be marking space instead of the man? Was that the tactic here?
I really dont get it.

Sigurdsson and others were finding too much space. Give a striker with good movement and a creative good player like Sigurdsson time and space to work the run and pass like that and most centre backs will struggle.

Thought we did a bit better as the game progressed, but we were really struggling there for about half an hour or so.

Vertonghen and Fazio or whoever the hell Poch ends up wanting as our long term centre back pairing need some serious sessions in training working as a pair. Was alarming how easily Bony found space in the box today.

He's certainly improved recently but I always feel our centre backs are never drawn to the ball like a magnet in the way a lot of good centre backs are.
I feel sorry for our defence at the moment, I think the poor system that our manager has us playing is making it very difficult indeed for our defenders (especially our centre halves)

The opposition deployed a true winger on each side of the pitch, this gave them two big advantages, firstly it kept our two full backs largely pinned back ensuring that (as usual) we had no width on either side of the pitch when attacking. Secondly it meant our fullbacks had to take a wide defensive position, leaving our two centre halves having to cover far too much space and creating ample opportunity to thread balls in behind them. Bony was then able to exploit that large gap between Fazio and Vertonghen over and over again. I thought as the second half went on Davies seemed to operate a bit narrower which closed off the space for passes to be slid in behind us for Bony, but it gave Routledge the run of the park down the right.

The best way for us to have countered Swansea's system (and it was the way we also should've countered Palace as well) is to play a pacy, winger ourselves. This poses the opposition a question over whether to allow our pacy wide player to go one on one against their fullback or (as is often the case) ensure their winger plays deeper to help their full back defensively. That in turn would allow one of our fullbacks to tuck in and close the space off for the passes in behind us for the centre forward.

Currently teams do not need to worry about their wingers having to help out defensively against us as both of our 'wide' players always take the ball back infield to where the opposition have their defensive numbers. Perhaps it would help if our right sided player did something other than constantly lose the ball, but right now it looks to me as though any half decent manager knows the system that we will play and knows exactly how to exploit it.

I hear ya. We presumably game planned for him (and them). He's an effective player and a handful. But in some ways I actually thought Bony had an off-day. He didn't look that fit to me, and he was taken off. Thing is, it wasn't like he was a bull and dominated us physically and out-muscled us and we were bouncing off him. Instead it seemed like he was beating us more with skill (which he has) and technique and finesse and, as you say, we often weren't near him (or were shying away). It wasn't really a shock when he scored, but we still won and so we will see how the Vert-Fazio partnership develops.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for our defence at the moment, I think the poor system that our manager has us playing is making it very difficult indeed for our defenders (especially our centre halves)

The opposition deployed a true winger on each side of the pitch, this gave them two big advantages, firstly it kept our two full backs largely pinned back ensuring that (as usual) we had no width on either side of the pitch when attacking. Secondly it meant our fullbacks had to take a wide defensive position, leaving our two centre halves having to cover far too much space and creating ample opportunity to thread balls in behind them. Bony was then able to exploit that large gap between Fazio and Vertonghen over and over again. I thought as the second half went on Davies seemed to operate a bit narrower which closed off the space for passes to be slid in behind us for Bony, but it gave Routledge the run of the park down the right.

The best way for us to have countered Swansea's system (and it was the way we also should've countered Palace as well) is to play a pacy, winger ourselves. This poses the opposition a question over whether to allow our pacy wide player to go one on one against their fullback or (as is often the case) ensure their winger plays deeper to help their full back defensively. That in turn would allow one of our fullbacks to tuck in and close the space off for the passes in behind us for the centre forward.

Currently teams do not need to worry about their wingers having to help out defensively against us as both of our 'wide' players always take the ball back infield to where the opposition have their defensive numbers. Perhaps it would help if our right sided player did something other than constantly lose the ball, but right now it looks to me as though any half decent manager knows the system that we will play and knows exactly how to exploit it.

Agreed, and I thought it worked pretty well. Allowing Routledge looped crosses from wide without getting in behind rarely looked particularly threatening. Fazio was dominant and Verts also did well in the air. Swansea don't really have a real target man unless Gomis is on the pitch. Those crosses looked a lot less threatening than the through balls.

We also got a lot better at getting close to Sigurdsson and stopping the through ball service to Bony that we allowed too easily for most of the first half.

I really don't think us playing wingers would mean that Routledge and Montero would play deeper when Swansea had the ball. Swansea didn't just counter attack against us, they're a possession side that gives their players time to get up the pitch. Wingers can help pin back full backs, sometimes. But Swansea didn't really rely on their full backs pushing far forward all that much.

Montero did a hell of a job defensively to cover for Walker I thought. He attempted 8 tackles, all of them in their half, made 4 interceptions in their half and two blocks just wide of their box (http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/829668/Live)

Jan Vertonghen is pleased to have some consistency at the heart of the Tottenham defence, and he feels he is developing a strong partnership with Federico Fazio.

Mauricio Pochettino has rotated his centre-backs for much of the season so far, using Vertonghen, Fazio, Younes Kaboul and Vlad Chiriches in various different combinations.

The constant changes did little to aid Spurs’ defence. However, Vertonghen and Fazio have now started five of the last six games together, only being rested for the final Europa League group game against Beskitas, when the Lilywhites had already qualified for the last 32.

Spurs have consequently looked more secure at the back and, while Vertonghen does not mind who he plays with, he feels that improvement is largely because he has time to build a relationship with 6ft 5ins summer signing Fazio.

“I think, like the team, we are improving in every game,” he said. “The manager expects a lot from us as leaders, as a defence.

“He [Fazio] is a beast in the air and I’m less strong in the air than him, but we compensate for each other in that way. I think we’re doing quite well at the moment.

“We talk a lot - he speaks English very well - and I think it’s good for centre-backs to play together for a while. Whether it’s with Younes or Vlad or Eric Dier, it doesn’t really matter but you need to adapt a bit [when your partner changes]. You have to adapt and know what the other one’s going to do. I don’t think centre-backs need as much rest as others, it’s different.”

Pochettino has been working on Spurs’ defensive line in recent weeks, urging them to push up the pitch and take an active, aggressive approach to defending, rather than sitting back and waiting for an attack.

Vertonghen said: “He wants us to press high and to keep a high line to help the midfield and the strikers to press the opponent, because the spaces are smaller, so that’s one thing we’ve been looking at – and the communication.

“I think sometimes you can be a bit lazy as a centre-back when it’s going well, but this manager keeps us focused and keeps us on the front foot for 90 minutes.”

There were more positive signs of an ongoing improvement when Spurs beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine 4-0 at home in the Capital One Cup quarter-final on Wednesday.

But, asked whether it was the best performance of the season, Vertonghen – who captained the side on the night – said: “Overall no, I don’t think so. I would say Everton [the 2-1 home win at the end of November].

“Obviously we kept a clean sheet [against Saudi Sportswashing Machine] and we scored four goals but I think they still had too many shots on goal maybe. We need to keep focused.

“I still think we have a long way to go. We’re working well, we’re improving in every game. You take a step back and then take two forward, but we’re definitely improving.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/tottenham/vertonghen_s_pleased_to_have_some_consistency_alongside_fazio_in_spurs_defence_1_3891233

Very promising.

I think we can all see minor improvements in our overall game, attacking wise and even defensively as well to be fair.

Whilst I do think it's down to hard work on the training field. I also feel it's down to playing players in who care and are progressive in their passing.

Verts seems much happier and committed again since the Ade/Kaboul/Capoue side-lining.

His goal celebrations have been really enthusiastic and there's a lot of fist punching at final whistle etc.

I think it was quite telling that he was given the captaincy against Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Verts seems much happier and committed again since the Ade/Kaboul/Capoue side-lining.

His goal celebrations have been really enthusiastic and there's a lot of fist punching at final whistle etc.

I think it was quite telling that he was given the captaincy against Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Seems to be a real belief that the club is going places again after a difficult time last season. Vertonghen is back and motivated and doing really well.

Should have been him or Lloris as skipper anyway - I don't think Poch has made many mistakes, but giving Kabs and Ade leadership roles was a big one IMO.

Should have been him or Lloris as skipper anyway - I don't think Poch has made many mistakes, but giving Kabs and Ade leadership roles was a big one IMO.

Not necessarily. If he'd isolated them immediately, it would have created a significant faction against him. By giving them enough rope to hang themselves in front of the group, he's gained 22 loyalists.

i agree, definite green shoots of recovery in the last month

The all-round attitude since the Hull game has been fantastic. There's real determination and desire across the board.

We still lack a little belief and composure, but that will come as the results keep coming.

Not necessarily. If he'd isolated them immediately, it would have created a significant faction against him. By giving them enough rope to hang themselves in front of the group, he's gained 22 loyalists.

i think its this. poch had the benefit of hindsight and saw what avb went through after sidelining ade. avb was correct but didn't manage the situation the right way.

He should have been given it at the start of the season.

I agree with GB. I think Poch has played this rather cleverly and said so myself when the captaincies were made, that I didn't think Ade and Kabs would be here next season, also Lloris may be gone too. Next summer would be the time for Poch to choose his captains.

Verts was captain when we bought him from Ajax and I'd think, that you don't become a captain there unless you have the character for it . I also think the sulking was probably due to his realisation of his move from a well run football club Ajax, to the madhouse that is Tottenham Hotspur.

I agree with GB and wiziwig too.

Although it might have been that a different approach from the start had worked better. But it might also have worked worse.

Whatever one thinks of the early decisions from Pochettino on this he has gotten the majority of the squad behind him at this point and we're seeing a lot of effort and desire from the players that are now getting game time. Impossible to know what the outcome would have been of a different approach.

fxNF0EZ.jpg

Always a good sign when one of your club's players gets into a rival's grill and starts leaving marks. To say nothing of acquiring a few in retaliation.

Why is it a good sign? That doesn't happen when a player is indifferent to the club he's playing for, or about the team mates he's sharing the pitch with.

We've been seeing Vertonghen mix it up physically with rivals in recent games. He wouldn't do it if he didn't care. It shows he's into the game and it gets fans and team mates amped up as well. I'm liking it.

Vertonghen has really proved his point, proved me wrong and turned out to be back in the thick of things. GB is spot-on with his assessment, and you can tell a lot about the health of a club from it's goal celebrations; look at who's involved in ours these days. It's telling. The squad believe in the manager because they know he is strong and honest.

Back