• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Compared to Toure, Skrtel and Lovren I think he would give them more pace.

I don't quite get exactly what the standard is people are using if Vertonghen isn't at least reasonably quick for a centre back.

agreed. hes hardly michael dawson or per mertesacker ffs.

Verts has many good qualities like reading of the game, first touch, and tackling...but pace isn't the reason why anyone would want to buy him. Nevertheless he is still an upgrade to that current liverpool back line.

Verts has many good qualities like reading of the game, first touch, and tackling...but pace isn't the reason why anyone would want to buy him. Nevertheless he is still an upgrade to that current liverpool back line.

Again though. Compared to who?

Could you imagine Skrtel, Toure or Lovren playing as full backs? I struggle to see it and I think they would struggle for pace significantly more than Vertonghen has on some of the occasions where he's played there for us.

Liverpool are closing in on the signing of Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen, according to the Metro.

The Belgian defender is reportedly ready to quit stuttering Spurs in a bid to revitalise his career - and could be seen as the man to turn Liverpool's fortunes around.

The Reds have reportedly already held talks with his agent over a potential switch and they are now confident of pulling off the deal.

Tottenham are said to be willing to sell the defender on the cheap, but negotiations for a fee could drag towards the end of January and the transfer window.

:-k

Again though. Compared to who?

Could you imagine Skrtel, Toure or Lovren playing as full backs? I struggle to see it and I think they would struggle for pace significantly more than Vertonghen has on some of the occasions where he's played there for us.

compared to that lot you mention. lovren and skrtel is as fast as verts once beaten. how many times have we seen verts just give up when a winger has rounded him. he probably did so as he knew he was not going to make it back. i think that they will still struggle with verts in the lot.

Liverpool are closing in on the signing of Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen, according to the Metro.

The Belgian defender is reportedly ready to quit stuttering Spurs in a bid to revitalise his career - and could be seen as the man to turn Liverpool's fortunes around.

The Reds have reportedly already held talks with his agent over a potential switch and they are now confident of pulling off the deal.

Tottenham are said to be willing to sell the defender on the cheap, but negotiations for a fee could drag towards the end of January and the transfer window.

Is he ready to quit Stuttering Spurs for Limping Liverpool, though? I think he sees himself more as Regal Real material.

Yeah, Levy would be willing to sell one of our higher profile players.Also at prime age, and to a rival, and also on the cheap............ lol

He has confirmed he has 2.5 years left on his contract and that he's happy at the club he's going nowhere as we have no reason to sell what so ever

Shows this for the cr*p it is... Levy - sell - cheap are three words that NOT compatible within the same sentence :ross:

compared to that lot you mention. lovren and skrtel is as fast as verts once beaten. how many times have we seen verts just give up when a winger has rounded him. he probably did so as he knew he was not going to make it back. i think that they will still struggle with verts in the lot.

The thing that you used the word winger is part of my point. We've seen Vertonghen up against wingers quite often, because he's played fairly often as a full back.

I've seen Skrtel as a full back one. It was against us, it was a disaster for him and them and he ended up getting sent off. It was up against Bale mind... I've never seen Lovren play as a full back, but I'm guessing he wouldn't do great.

If Vertonghen really was slow for a centre back how on earth is he capable of doing well at full back? One of the positions where pace matters the most (imo at least). Are there any other examples of slow centre backs doing well as full backs? I can't think of a single one...

You can criticise him for many things but the guy clearly gives a toss about winning....

View attachment 2215

He does and he hasnt been at the stellar level at which he performed in his first year with us. I do though think he needs a guy alongside him regularly so that a partnership can be formed and, unlike last season, not be shipped about between CB and LB

Loved his celebration again today. Okay he had a few dodgy moments today, but I would still have him as the vice-captain.

Vertonghen and Fazio or whoever the hell Poch ends up wanting as our long term centre back pairing need some serious sessions in training working as a pair. Was alarming how easily Bony found space in the box today.

He's certainly improved recently but I always feel our centre backs are never drawn to the ball like a magnet in the way a lot of good centre backs are.

Back