• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I've inly seen the game online via a poor feed but for the 2nd drogba looked as if he may have been offside and for the 3rd if verts uses his hands the same way Willian does then it's a pen and red card.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Sadly Drogba timed his run perfectly.

[vine]Ovru5OHimiZ[/vine]

Solid observation. At the same time he needs to get back to block as Remy is capable of just hitting that with his left foot. Not an easy situation. Still think he should have done better, but one on one with that much space against Remy it's not like most centre backs just win it every time.

Yup, pretty much any CB' nightmare to be left one-on-one with a fleet footed striker bearing down on goal and whilst I rate Jan he'll never be the King.

[vine]OvrHlDVFXnF[/vine]

He is becoming " rent a quote" mark two. See he is still out of work as well.

Agreed. Not a great look for Sherwood, more of the kind of stuff he got (imo) rightly criticized for last season with us. Assuming the quote is as it's presented above.

Poor move from a career point of view too I would have though. You never know in football, their paths might cross again - happens more often than one would think. Or he might come across or try to sign someone in the future that has the same agent as Verts, or is mates with him. Whatever. Had he said "this was a poor piece of defending" or "he's not in form defensively" or "this was not impressive" it would have been a different story. But "He can't defend, this guy" is just so over the top and demeaning I struggle to see how Sherwood comes off looking anything other than unprofessional.

Like you say, he's making himself into a "rent a quote" instead of a football manager by behaving like this. Also, he's just flat out wrong. Jan Vertonghen "can't defend"? What? As in not at all? He's incompetent? I tried to be patient with Sherwood both before and after we got rid, but this kind of stuff makes me want to say stuff that makes stars show up instead of letters.

Maybe I'm a being a bit harsh on him but does anyone think he had a split second chance to try and slide in and make a tackle on Drogba?

Maybe I'm a being a bit harsh on him but does anyone think he had a split second chance to try and slide in and make a tackle on Drogba?

I know what you mean.

In previous years Vertonghen has slipped over and played a suicide back pass and we've had lots of centre backs sent off against top teams, perhaps those sorts of things are playing on his mind in that instant... should I dive in and give away a red card, penalty and 10 men, or stay on my feet? Perhaps he made the right decision to not dive in. Drogba is a monster in that situation.

I know what you mean.

In previous years Vertonghen has slipped over and played a suicide back pass and we've had lots of centre backs sent off against top teams, perhaps those sorts of things are playing on his mind in that instant... should I dive in and give away a red card, penalty and 10 men, or stay on my feet? Perhaps he made the right decision to not dive in. Drogba is a monster in that situation.

Well he was a monster. I think time may have caught up with him a little which is another reason why I am disappointed he scored.

You could be right about Vertonghen's thought process. He probably did not want o risk giving the match away with one rash move :red:, but on the other hand you have to back yourself as a defender to make the big tackle count when it matters (insert picture of Kenneth Williams here).
Maybe he should have just pulled Drogba's shorts down :eek:

Last edited:
I don't think he could've safely tackled Drogba for the second goal. Even if Jan got the ball Drogba would've gone down in a heap and we'd go down to 10 men because it was at Stamford bridge.

Sherwood is just bitter. He is constantly having a dig at us after we lose games, but quite silent when we win, unless of course one of the homegrown players did well. I appreciate what he did for the club, but these last couple of month's his opinions have been nothing more than "I told you so", "I knew best" etc. Not the sign of an impartial commentator.

I don't think he could've safely tackled Drogba for the second goal. Even if Jan got the ball Drogba would've gone down in a heap and we'd go down to 10 men because it was at Stamford bridge.

Sherwood is just bitter. He is constantly having a dig at us after we lose games, but quite silent when we win, unless of course one of the homegrown players did well. I appreciate what he did for the club, but these last couple of month's his opinions have been nothing more than "I told you so", "I knew best" etc. Not the sign of an impartial commentator.

Don't worry, when he gets his next managerial job he wont have time to talk sh!te about us........so more sh!te from Sherwood for a long while longer then...

Belgian newspaper HLN on Friday cover British newspaper claims of Manchester United interest in a move for Jan Vertonghen. It was only going to be a matter of time before that particular rumour picked up a head of steam, Manchester United are in desperate need of a defender and Vertonghen is such, it's not the most ridiculous link of the week.

HLN cover it from Vertonghen's perspective and explain that he's happy at Tottenham Hotspur but doesn't feel he's as valued as perhaps he should be. Mauricio Pochettino is said to not be entirely convinced of the player's qualities and the captaincy issue is once more dragged up. The Belgian newspaper quote Vertonghen as saying during the international break "I would like to play every game, but this trainer has a different approach."

Vertonghen's priority is a permanent place at Tottenham and a new contract, explain HLN, but if that fails then he's willing to look at the prospect of a transfer and it's stated that there have been approaches made to him.

The ghost of Tim Sherwood is still an issue. HLN explain that Vertonghen is still haunted by Sherwood questioning his mentality. The newspaper say Sherwood made a 'mess' of the Tottenham job and not everything since that time has been cleared up. Vertonghen is stated as being a perfectionist and if everything isn't as he feels it should be, and he sees no way to improve things, then an exit could be on the cards.

It was clear some months ago that Vertonghen's agent was keen on a new contract, even telling the media - on record - that a deal was set to be agreed. These stories could all be part of that even if Manchester United interest makes sense.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/from-belgium-jan-vertonghen-continues-to-be-haunted-by-sherwood-c

This was two weeeks ago, before Sherwood opened his gob again.

Belgian newspaper HLN on Friday cover British newspaper claims of Manchester United interest in a move for Jan Vertonghen. It was only going to be a matter of time before that particular rumour picked up a head of steam, Manchester United are in desperate need of a defender and Vertonghen is such, it's not the most ridiculous link of the week.

HLN cover it from Vertonghen's perspective and explain that he's happy at Tottenham Hotspur but doesn't feel he's as valued as perhaps he should be. Mauricio Pochettino is said to not be entirely convinced of the player's qualities and the captaincy issue is once more dragged up. The Belgian newspaper quote Vertonghen as saying during the international break "I would like to play every game, but this trainer has a different approach."

Vertonghen's priority is a permanent place at Tottenham and a new contract, explain HLN, but if that fails then he's willing to look at the prospect of a transfer and it's stated that there have been approaches made to him.

The ghost of Tim Sherwood is still an issue. HLN explain that Vertonghen is still haunted by Sherwood questioning his mentality. The newspaper say Sherwood made a 'mess' of the Tottenham job and not everything since that time has been cleared up. Vertonghen is stated as being a perfectionist and if everything isn't as he feels it should be, and he sees no way to improve things, then an exit could be on the cards.

It was clear some months ago that Vertonghen's agent was keen on a new contract, even telling the media - on record - that a deal was set to be agreed. These stories could all be part of that even if Manchester United interest makes sense.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/from-belgium-jan-vertonghen-continues-to-be-haunted-by-sherwood-c

This was two weeeks ago, before Sherwood opened his gob again.

He isn't as valued as he thinks he should be? He's been utter garbage since his first season. He was poor again versus Chelsea. I'm not surprised we're not keen on a new contract.

He isn't as valued as he thinks he should be? He's been utter garbage since his first season. He was poor again versus Chelsea. I'm not surprised we're not keen on a new contract.

Spot on - if he wants to be valued, then produce some consistently valuable performances...

Jan was very good against Everton.

Don't worry, when he gets his next managerial job he wont have time to talk sh!te about us........so more sh!te from Sherwood for a long while longer then...
You think he might forget to rule himself out at the last minute one of these days?

Wasn't a direct quote and to the extent it reported his opinions I think it might have been a bit out of date. New comments from him yesterday:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2861940/Jan-Vertonghen-says-Tottenham-make-step-new-contract-talks.html

'We are not talking about a new contract. The club has to take the first step,' he said.

'We are now in a busy period, with a lot of games. Talks are often held in periods where there are less games.'

'I'm not focused on a transfer. I really like it over here, he said.

'I have the feeling that, when everyone's fit, I have my place in the team and I also feel I understand better what the manager expects from me.

'It's getting better and better with the team. Our start was difficult. A new manager, lots of first team players at the World Cup. But I feel we understand what he wants now.

'That I play less games than last season is not a problem. The manager wants to keep everyone fit, also with the Europa League campaign. No problem for me.

'But I feel a regular, even when everyone's fit.'

Really not looking to start a new Sherwood debate, but whatever one thought of Tim it was and is clear that Vertonghen did not work well under him. Now Poch has come in, Vertonghen has responded well and gotten plenty of time on the pitch again as a result. Seems that Vertonghen is happy in his role at the club and as importantly happy with the direction the club is moving in again.

Edit: A somewhat amusing video in that article where Poch is asked about Vertonghen's mood and how to put a smile on his face... :)

Last edited:
[tweet]541285079155478528[/tweet]

=D>

We need to build on something. And Jan and Fazio, with Bentaleb and Mason is something! Pleased he's back in the team. I love the way he plays the ball out. Against chelsea each pass forward was solid, perfectly weighted which helps sets the tempo for the team.

Last edited:
Reports: Liverpool looking to move for Jan Vertonghen as the defender looks to leave Spurs

According to reports, Liverpool are interested in Jan Vertonghen from Spurs as the Belgian defender looks keen on an exit from White Hart Lane.

Brendan Rodgers is in the market for another centre-back after losing Daniel Agger and his £20million summer signing Dejan Lovren flopping so far during his Liverpool career.

While Vertonghen has been an important player for Spurs and is able to play at left-back as well as centre, but the 27-year-old is said to be unhappy with about not being given an improved deal.

With Liverpool so desperate to plug their leaky defence, they may be willing to splash the cash on Vertonghen if they think that he is the answer to their problems.

Though the 27-year-old would add some more pace and passing to Liverpool’s backline, he’d have a strong understanding with under-fire goalkeeper Simon Mignolet and could help out his fellow Belgian.

Liverpool will be keeping their eyes on White Hart Lane until the January transfer window opens and they can make a move for Vertonghen.

http://www.squawka.com/news/reports-liverpool-looking-to-move-for-jan-vertonghen-as-the-defender-looks-to-leave-spurs/240550

Back