• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jake Livermore/Sunday Supplement

Mike_T

Stephane Dalmat
Did anybody else see watch it this morning?
That John Richardson fella called Livermore "A cheap cap".
Then followed up with, no disrespect to Jake Livermore after being prompted when someone else said it.
Cheap caps? Look no further than Downing, Henderson, Buttland and so on.

Cheap caps have been going from the 90's onwards.

At least Jake wasn't a media darling but got himself there through hard work!

Roy is looking for a Parker replacement, why not look at a player that may well replace him at club level?

Butland earned a call up based on his Olympics performance, that wasn't a cheap cap at all. Would love it see him signed by us! Massive potential there, he could have a 25 year career ahead of him!

Thing Jake gets a lot of that, not just from journos, but from fans of other clubs and are own. It's because he's come into his own later than usual and wasn't talked of as a good prospect as a kid. Doesn't take away from the fact he's a good squad member now though.

Roy is looking for a Parker replacement, why not look at a player that may well replace him at club level?

Butland earned a call up based on his Olympics performance, that wasn't a cheap cap at all. Would love it see him signed by us! Massive potential there, he could have a 25 year career ahead of him!

How old is he? 25 years really?

Totally. Welcome to my world. He may be over-priced due to being English/current hype,etc: but like you say, once established he could be our keeper for years.
Sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture

No Spurs keeper maintains form for more than a couple of seasons before turning brick anyway. Waste of money, stick with the oldies.

Cheap cap?

I don't understand the concept. Surely if a manager is wanting to try out new players in a friendly then it is anything but a cheap cap.

More of a trial cap, and to show your good enough for a trial at the 3rd best team in the world, you've got to be quite good.

(LoL at ranked 3rd in the world)

Pointless to question why players are given caps after what happened with Martin Kelly this summer.

Cheap cap?

I don't understand the concept. Surely if a manager is wanting to try out new players in a friendly then it is anything but a cheap cap.

More of a trial cap, and to show your good enough for a trial at the 3rd best team in the world, you've got to be quite good.

(LoL at ranked 3rd in the world)

I think the best team in the world - but thats just my opinion.

Pointless to question why players are given caps after what happened with Martin Kelly this summer.

Exactly. Plenty of people who get caps who arent international standard.

I dont rate Livermore and dont think that he'll make it as a regular starter for a PL team however its a tad harsh to single someone out on TV

If I was England manager, I would only give caps to people who I felt pretty sure were going to be in my final squad for the next tournament. Some people seem to think friendlies are a bit pointless, and / or that they're a chance to give fringe players a go in the shirt to see how they do. I totally disagree.

Most PL teams play 40-50 games in a season, and train together for about ten months a year. International teams get nowhere near that. I would see every day of training and every friendly as a rare and vital opportunity to get my best players together - to get them used to playing with each other, to get them used to the system that I wanted to play, to get them to feel bond between them - essentially, to make them play and feel like a team.

What is the point of playing players in friendlies who you doubt will be in your squad for the next tournament? IMO it's a waste of a rare and precious opportunity.

Capello capped 63 players during his 4 year tenure (http://www.englandfootballonline.com/teammgr/Mgr_CapelloPlyrsApps.html). I appreciate that over four years players' form will change, and some youngsters will come through whilst some older players will fall out of the picture. But that seems pretty wasteful and pointless to me, when generally about 15 players get any significant playing time in a torunament.

If I was England manager, I would only give caps to people who I felt pretty sure were going to be in my final squad for the next tournament. Some people seem to think friendlies are a bit pointless, and / or that they're a chance to give fringe players a go in the shirt to see how they do. I totally disagree.

Most PL teams play 40-50 games in a season, and train together for about ten months a year. International teams get nowhere near that. I would see every day of training and every friendly as a rare and vital opportunity to get my best players together - to get them used to playing with each other, to get them used to the system that I wanted to play, to get them to feel bond between them - essentially, to make them play and feel like a team.

What is the point of playing players in friendlies who you doubt will be in your squad for the next tournament? IMO it's a waste of a rare and precious opportunity.

Capello capped 63 players during his 4 year tenure (http://www.englandfootballonline.com/teammgr/Mgr_CapelloPlyrsApps.html). I appreciate that over four years players' form will change, and some youngsters will come through whilst some older players will fall out of the picture. But that seems pretty wasteful and pointless to me, when generally about 15 players get any significant playing time in a torunament.

If you play all of your best players in friendlies they will probably die. These are players who will go through 40-50 game seasons. They can't take much more.

Amazed anybody watches this utter pile of steaming brick.

A bunch of arseholes talking brick and acting smug around a table. Tossers.

Back