• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

It Evens Itself Out Over A Season - The Ref's A ****

Who is the worst recent Premier League referee?

• Howard "Red" Webb

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Chris "What a Foy" Foy

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Mark "Emotional" Clattenburg

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mike "Give us a Clue" Dean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uriah "Two Tickets to the UR Show" Rennie

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mike "Beachball" Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A.N.Other

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
Someone made the point in another thread that players and managers make a lot of mistakes also, over the course of matches and seasons. These are fully professional. Do refs necessarily make more mistakes as a % of their decisions? And more importantly, refs and linesmen are not even professional are they? They have another job during the week. How can they be expected to run and keep up with 22 exceedingly fit individuals who spend the 90 minutes trying to con them?

Someone made the point in another thread that players and managers make a lot of mistakes also, over the course of matches and seasons. These are fully professional. Do refs necessarily make more mistakes as a % of their decisions? And more importantly, refs and linesmen are not even professional are they? They have another job during the week. How can they be expected to run and keep up with 22 exceedingly fit individuals who spend the 90 minutes trying to con them?

They turned Professionals a few years ago. I think theyre on circa 50k. I think they should be on more like 100k but have to give interviews and get punished for their brickness

It will be interesting to see if the FA pull up Martinez after what he said on MOD last night.

Of course they will.

I actually that a lot of the times this season refs have been given a hard time when more focus should be on the linesman.

The referee is in the middle of the action with a lot going on around them, the linesman's job area of responsibility is far more limited yet equally important. It's the referee's names that everyone knows and look out for, but these guys are supposed to officiate a match as a team.

The standard of decisions making from linesman across the league this season has been some of the worst I can remember, but it's always the referee that gets blamed.

When the pressure is on, the referee is rarely going to overule his linesman.

They turned Professionals a few years ago. I think theyre on circa 50k. I think they should be on more like 100k but have to give interviews and get punished for their brickness

How come Webb is still a policeman then? Surely he should only be allowed to do one of the jobs?

Also, for 'professionals', some of them are still unacceptably overweight. If they're running around with 22 very fit people, they should also be very fit.

How come Webb is still a policeman then? Surely he should only be allowed to do one of the jobs?

Also, for 'professionals', some of them are still unacceptably overweight. If they're running around with 22 very fit people, they should also be very fit.

He isnt he is a full time ref, refs have been full time since 1999

oh yeah also I would need to see two things changed

1) Referees MUST be interviewed after games. The same as Managers HAVE to give an interview so should a Referee
2) Punishments given the same way punishments are given for red card offenses and accumulation of yellow cards. By that I mean bricky penalties given should result in a two or three match ban and an accumulation of bricky games should result in one or two game bans.

Referees MUST be held accountable. Pay em more rather than the 50k a year and actually hold them more accountable.

Agree with this. Quite frankly, they should be very well paid is only to protect against bung insinuations...

I reckon there is definitely corruption at some level. There's too much money stake in a business which is too poorly regulated for it not to be the case. If it were merely incompetence then I'd expect to see just as many wrongful red cards and pens against Chelsea and Man Utd when they play the Wigans and QPRs, but I don't see that happen.

It would be interesting to see a 'correction' at the end of the season - points added or deducted for obvious mistakes. I am thinking specifically about the points we lost against Stoke (two handballs and a 'offside' goal ruled out) and Wolves (? my bad memory) goal conceded from corner that should have been a GK, and another 'offside' goal not given. Yesterday an obvious handball not given.

I have watched most of our games on TV and can't recollect any where we have been obviously given a game changing benefit. (Not saying it didn't happen, just don't remember)

I don't believe it does "even out across the season". I see plenty of games but don't take as much notice of what happens to other teams. Would be interested to know.

How did Young escape today without a yellow for such a blatant dive ? An obvious cheat who should be exposed for what he is.

How will QPR feel if they go down by a goal difference of one ?

It is spoiling the game not having some method of correcting these blatant errors when they happen. There is so much riding on it it's well overdue.

TJ

Even the case of ref (I forget which one) who openly admitted he'd give a pen against Norwich if he's 70% certain, but to give the same decision against Man Utd at OT he'd have to be 100% certain, and know that everyone in the stadium knew it was the correct decision. That is a form of corruption. Perhaps a lesser form of corruption where refs are working in favour of big clubs to protect themselves and their reputations from adverse media attention. The only question for me is whether that's the extent of it or is there more theyre not willing to confess.

I reckon there is definitely corruption at some level. There's too much money stake in a business which is too poorly regulated for it not to be the case. If it were merely incompetence then I'd expect to see just as many wrongful red cards and pens against Chelsea and Man Utd when they play the Wigans and QPRs, but I don't see that happen.

This

After watching the latest howler from the officials at Old Trafford today, do the refs and linesmen genuinely just cave under the pressure at big teams grounds, or are they bent?

Yes, they have already admitted it they are. There was a post from a referee saying its difficult giving a decision against man u etc.

There is corruption.
If Bale can score hat-trick in 45 mins vs Inter Milan then how can he not score hat-trick vs Sunderland in 90mins?
Inter Milan are better than Sunderland.

:lol:

The title, and the qualification do not necessarily go hand in hand. Football is corrupt, officials sometimes are incompetent - but also can be bought.

There is corruption.
If Bale can score hat-trick in 45 mins vs Inter Milan then how can he not score hat-trick vs Sunderland in 90mins?
Inter Milan are better than Sunderland.

:lol:

Is this a serious post?

i'm sure chelsea give so called sweetners to refs/linos . the amount of dodgey decisions chelsea have had this season is shocking ! i can remember at least 6-7 games where they have match changing decisions go wrongley in their favour !
Abramovich is best buddies with putin & hes a really honest guy lol

spurs as a big club get very little controvertial decisions going our way !

another thing that sways refs etc is the likes of chelski, man u arse surround the refs and complain about the slightest thing ! where as we dont do that enough .... not that i agree with that anyway.

Not sure about officals being corrupt or not but what i will say is that something has to be done to make the playing fields more level. How technology hasnt been brought into the game is beyond me

Back