• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

It Evens Itself Out Over A Season - The Ref's A ****

Who is the worst recent Premier League referee?

• Howard "Red" Webb

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Chris "What a Foy" Foy

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Mark "Emotional" Clattenburg

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mike "Give us a Clue" Dean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uriah "Two Tickets to the UR Show" Rennie

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mike "Beachball" Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A.N.Other

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
That's just ridiculous mate, I don't think even you believe what you've just written there.

We were 1-0 up after 20 mins against Bolton and cruising, Bolton have shown no signs all season that they were capable of getting back in to that game, it wasn't even a stand out incorrect decision, harsh yes, wrong debatable.

The walker handball came minutes after Parker was taken out for a clear pen that wasn't given! You can just as easily say had that been given walkers handball wouldn't have occurred!

Ofcourse you can say any eventualities can happen in football but some are more likely than others. Cahill going on to get an equalizer or winner against us is not the same likelihood as us going on to win at city from 2-2 had lescott and Mario been correctly sent off, see my prev message for all the other wrong decisions occurring in borderline matches. That was the whole point, decisions favoring us have been few but when they have they've been inconsequential, the numerous poor decisions against us have been costly.

I rule absolutely nothing out when it comes to Spurs. Nothing. If we were ten-nil up against Stevenage with a minute to go, I would still shut up anyone who came along to congratulate me until the game was over, and even then I'd probably wonder if the FA would announce a replay because we handed in the team-sheet thirty seconds late or something. Because we are Spurs. We don't do predictable. ;)

But I see your point. Perhaps there have been more important decisions given against us than for us. But if you're going to complain about wrong decisions when they cost us, why not complain about wrong decisions when they benefit us? The Terry handball against us in April 2010, for example- did you storm down to the front of the stands and angrily demand that Defoe miss the penalty because it was wrongly awarded? Nah, you kept quiet and prayed with all your heart that it went in. And when it did, you celebrated like mad. We all did. It's not unusual - football fans are hypocrites and will always be. But there's no reason we can't point out our own flaws sometimes.;)

Graham Poll: big clubs always have more chance of big decisions

Former Premiership referee Graham Poll, talking to Danny Kelly on TalkSport last night, openly admitted what we Spurs fans have known - to our intense chagrin - all along. Kelly suggested its inevitable that refs will always favour the home club but Poll strongly disagreed, arguing that a refs' fear of upsetting the biggest clubs, whether home OR away, is that much greater.

'Big clubs have more chance of big decisions. Refs like to protect themselves. If I'm refereeing a routine game at somewhere like Norwich I'm more likely to give a pen against Norwich regardless. But a penalty against Manchester United at Old Trafford, that is serious news. No ref likes to see their name in the headlines on the back page, the only reason it's there is because it's a negative. Therefore I'm not going to give anything but an absolutely stonewall penalty, one that everyone in the crowd, even Sir Alex Ferguson goes to be fair, that's a pen..'

All too true. Even so, shame Kelly never mentioned the Stoke game!

sounds like it needs an enquiry to me

either Poll is bringing the game into disrepute and slandering all ref's in the English game
Or
its true and ref are not doing their job properly and cheating for the sake of their own ego's

(not that either of that is news - but it would be nice for all the smaller clubs to club together and push for an investigation, but pressure on to create a fairer game)

All Poll is trying to do is deflect attention from the fact he was a shockingly bad referee who made countless errors or even corrupt decisions of the type he is now complaining of.

There is actually no statistical basis to the claim that Utd get more home penalties than anyone else. Can't remember where I heard it (probably More or Less on Radio 4), but when taking into account the amount of time spent in the box for all teams there was no clear bias.

There was a very clear bias towards all home teams, but nothing above that to Utd. In fact, the team most likely to get a penalty at home was Arsenal. Probably something to do with the possession dominance they had at the time.

There is actually no statistical basis to the claim that Utd get more home penalties than anyone else. Can't remember where I heard it (probably More or Less on Radio 4), but when taking into account the amount of time spent in the box for all teams there was no clear bias.

There was a very clear bias towards all home teams, but nothing above that to Utd. In fact, the team most likely to get a penalty at home was Arsenal. Probably something to do with the possession dominance they had at the time.

So you believe that if the Mendes 'goal' at OT that wasn't given had been 'scored' by a United player at the other end it STILL wouldn't have been given? And that when Nani stole the ball from Gomes and tapped the ball into an empty net it would still have been allowed if the same situation had arisen AGAINST United?

So you believe that if the Mendes 'goal' at OT that wasn't given had been 'scored' by a United player at the other end it STILL wouldn't have been given? And that when Nani stole the ball from Gomes and tapped the ball into an empty net it would still have been allowed if the same situation had arisen AGAINST United?

No, I believe that there is home bias in all matches, and that there is no statistical evidence of a Utd-based leaning from referees.

All Poll is trying to do is deflect attention from the fact he was a shockingly bad referee who made countless errors or even corrupt decisions of the type he is now complaining of.

Poll was a brick ref ( much like Webb is now), its a pity that none of them ( Gallagher is another who is always on talkbrick) said any thing when they were still in the game. Both of them are just saying brick and getting paid or it.

But by all accounts, we're still one of the bigger clubs in the league and were even when we were utter brick. Not all of the brick decisions against us come about at grounds of the old top 4, so what is the explanation for all the poor decisions against us in other games, against 'smaller' teams?

The answer is that the refs are utter brick. And so are their linesmen. And they're expected to keep up, mentally and physically, with 22 exceedingly fit individuals who increasingly try any means to trick them, for 90 minutes And as Scara says, they will often favour the home team, regardless of who that teams happens to be (whether Man Utd or Wigan Athletic).

But by all accounts, we're still one of the bigger clubs in the league and were even when we were utter brick. Not all of the brick decisions against us come about at grounds of the old top 4, so what is the explanation for all the poor decisions against us in other games, against 'smaller' teams?

The answer is that the refs are utter brick. And so are their linesmen. And they're expected to keep up, mentally and physically, with 22 exceedingly fit individuals who increasingly try any means to trick them, for 90 minutes And as Scara says, they will often favour the home team, regardless of who that teams happens to be (whether Man Utd or Wigan Athletic).

Doesn't help that managers like Harry and BMJ are rolypoly pussycats.

id like to see someone go undercover as a referee for a few years and then expose everything that goes on behind the scenes - i bet there is some real dodgy brick that goes on

surprised The Sun haven't already thought of it tbh

Former Premiership referee Graham Poll, talking to Danny Kelly on TalkSport last night, openly admitted what we Spurs fans have known - to our intense chagrin - all along. Kelly suggested its inevitable that refs will always favour the home club but Poll strongly disagreed, arguing that a refs' fear of upsetting the biggest clubs, whether home OR away, is that much greater.

'Big clubs have more chance of big decisions. Refs like to protect themselves. If I'm refereeing a routine game at somewhere like Norwich I'm more likely to give a pen against Norwich regardless. But a penalty against Manchester United at Old Trafford, that is serious news. No ref likes to see their name in the headlines on the back page, the only reason it's there is because it's a negative. Therefore I'm not going to give anything but an absolutely stonewall penalty, one that everyone in the crowd, even Sir Alex Ferguson goes to be fair, that's a pen..'

All too true. Even so, shame Kelly never mentioned the Stoke game!

We know it to be true, but to read it, is worrying as fudge. There has to be something done about it.

Took, what 6/7 years ? But now I finally can put to rest reason the Mendes 'goal' at Old Trafford wasnt given.

Of course most teams will get more decisions at home. But for anyone to argue that United don't get more decisions than anyone else is ridiculous. Look at the amount of decisions they've got against us alone in the past 6/7 years. You could the number of controversial decsions that have gone against United at Old Trafford on one hand in the past 10 years or so.

The big teams/players in every sport get the big decisions more often not. Is it just a coincidence that teams like Real Madrid, Man United, Barca, Bayern Munich, and Brazil all seem to get the big calls in their favour more often than not?

I don't know how anyone can claim Howard Webb doesn't favour United also. How many controversial penalites has he given them over the years?

id like to see someone go undercover as a referee for a few years and then expose everything that goes on behind the scenes - i bet there is some real dodgy brick that goes on

surprised The Sun haven't already thought of it tbh

Its a game with a huge amount of money involved and the ref is the guy earning the least amount of it, it would be fairly naive to think that something dodgy wouldnt be happening.

Back