• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

My dread is that Southgate now think we missed Mount. The total waste of Foden is criminal, ok plays a wide roll at City but with licence to roam, sticking him to the touchline is madness. How does Sterling get away with it? He's useless, terrible first touch, no vision on what's going on around him and lazy. Most of these players perform well for their clubs and look confident, in an England shirt they look like a group of strangers with not a clue what they are supposed to be doing when they get the ball.
This must be down to the manager and his plan or lack of one. Too late to do anything about it, but displays like the last few in the World Cup will surely be the end of his tenure of the international team.

Personality and wokeness aside Southgate has done reasonably well but 80% of his games have been against poor opposition, as soon as we get a competent team we usually get beat. We fluked our way to those semi and final, got extremely lucky in the draws and even with home advantage for nearly all the euro games we were still average and should have been knocked out by Denmark. A lot of the performances have been very poor. Cautious too often and not using our main threat which is our attacking flair. Nice bloke though.

We fluked our way to the semi and the final? Righty o then good to know, let's hope we can fluke our way to going one step further!

Although joking aside, can't understand why Grealish doesn't start. He's exactly what we need to link midfield and attack, talented and gives 100%.

Personally would use Sterling as a sub and find a way to include Grealish, Kane and Foden.

I must be missing something with Grealish. Whenever I see him play it's head down try to take on 3 defenders, fall over, scream for free kick, adjust hair, repeat.
His link up play is always pretty 5 yard triangles which then becomes flooded in defenders with zero outcome.
If he could learn to put in a decent cross or actually do some pass and movement with Kane then I'd possibly see a place for him in the England team.
The same goes for Mount, Foden, Sterling and Saka.

It must be inconvenient having an England team and manager being against racism if you are racist. Care to provide any actual quotes from Southgate on issues that you have a problem with or is it just the overall general anti discrimination message that irks you?

Sure we have looked awful for a five six game spell but it's like this manager hasn't got us to the semis then finals of the last two tournaments - Italy haven't even qualified for the world cup.
Bore off
He is a total yes man and a terrible manager
I don't want him gone because he is anti discrimination
I want him gone because he is brick,boring and wasting generational talents like other managers have done previously

Offer Guardiola the chance to manage us for the World Cup. He doesnt need to manage beyond that, maybe he rejects the opportunity but definitely a solution like that seems to be the best route to take.

Decent keeper, one decent defender who has only been selected once in the last couple of years, one decent forward.

The rest are brick.

I didn’t watch the game, but based on the line up, not getting tanked was a good result. Any Italy side is going to be decent.

People will always look back on the semi and the final like it was some massive achievement but realistically it would have been an underachievement if we hadn’t. We couldn’t have picked an easier route in both tournaments If we picked it ourselves. Apart from Germany (who are not as great as they used to be.) We lost to every decent team we came up against in both of those competitions so lets not claim it was some underdog fairytale. England have been brick for years and I can’t remember the last time we actually looked fluid and looked like we had a style of play. Southgate should never manage a team again.

Offer Guardiola the chance to manage us for the World Cup. He doesnt need to manage beyond that, maybe he rejects the opportunity but definitely a solution like that seems to be the best route to take.
Problem with that is you can't buy a new squad of the best players in the world or raid rival clubs at International level...

Problem with that is you can't buy a new squad of the best players in the world or raid rival clubs at International level...
Isn't he meant to be the best coach in the world though
There is plenty of talent in the main and U21 squad for him to work his magic with

I must be missing something with Grealish. Whenever I see him play it's head down try to take on 3 defenders, fall over, scream for free kick, adjust hair, repeat.
His link up play is always pretty 5 yard triangles which then becomes flooded in defenders with zero outcome.
If he could learn to put in a decent cross or actually do some pass and movement with Kane then I'd possibly see a place for him in the England team.
The same goes for Mount, Foden, Sterling and Saka.
None of those players can pass well enough
England need a tempo player who pick a quick pass to release someone
Everyone above is one who plays short passes around the box
The player who looked great for England doing the tempo role was one Harry winks. Shame his game is now dead but he kept the ball moving which meant England could attack (people should check his record for country)
Now we have no one who can play like that.
Rice is a great player but not that kind of passer
Bellingham is a bit of everything and I think he could be dele alli esque for England played in the right system
Not sure who to play alongside them in a 3 though now
Maddison cab play those passes but he now plays more like a 10
England could theory played 4-2-3-1
Kane up top
Foden one side, Saka the other and someone like Maddison central
All players who get goals there
Sterling is a weak link. Guys got no brain
When he was scoring those goals they were all first time goals which are typical of a player who doesn’t think and just “does” (like a Robbie Keane) … great players can take the touch elsewhere and excel. We don’t have them so he needs to decide Kane or Sterling

People will always look back on the semi and the final like it was some massive achievement but realistically it would have been an underachievement if we hadn’t. We couldn’t have picked an easier route in both tournaments If we picked it ourselves. Apart from Germany (who are not as great as they used to be.) We lost to every decent team we came up against in both of those competitions so lets not claim it was some underdog fairytale. England have been brick for years and I can’t remember the last time we actually looked fluid and looked like we had a style of play. Southgate should never manage a team again.
Southgate achieves what he should have
He should get credit for that
Now he needs to do a bit of transformative work… his lack of experience and arguably ability is showing
He is a nice guy but that doesn’t win you things in football
Problem is who comes in…

Isn't he meant to be the best coach in the world though
There is plenty of talent in the main and U21 squad for him to work his magic with
If he can't win a European cup with City or Bayern I'm not sure he'd be able to take an international team that isn't favourite to win a cup competition to glory.

Southgate achieves what he should have
He should get credit for that
Now he needs to do a bit of transformative work… his lack of experience and arguably ability is showing
He is a nice guy but that doesn’t win you things in football
Problem is who comes in…

Hmmm he is a good sporting politician but he is frankly a poor manager. The level came down to us in recent years where as Spain and Brazil are not the force of old and we have also had talent and he has failed to take advantage. The last WC and Euros was the perfect storm in some ways for us to win as the stars aligned for us and he was and is too negative, too passive and showed where he fails and thats tactical awareness.

Playing a 3-5-2 with two defensive midfielders against international pap is dreadful and shows a lack of cahones

(Southgate) was and is too negative, too passive and showed where he fails and that's tactical awareness
Agreed. He is shoving square pegs into round holes.
As Bedford said, England have no flow, no tempo, no clue. And Sterling is truly terrible in terms of link play, awareness etc.
We have enough players to be decent, but Southgate is really messing things up right now.
If only Saka and Sterling would be that bad in the league; but they aren't.

Agreed. He is shoving square pegs into round holes.
As Bedford said, England have no flow, no tempo, no clue. And Sterling is truly terrible in terms of link play, awareness etc.
We have enough players to be decent, but Southgate is really messing things up right now.
If only Saka and Sterling would be that bad in the league; but they aren't.

But when you look in comparison at the Prem which is a better standard than international and Pep who trusts Foden you see what can be achieved. And its really as simple as that TBH. Playing our best RB as centre back to accommodate another 3 RBs or whatever it was in a WC squad was laughable TBH and showed a lack of real decision making and leadership.

But when you look in comparison at the Prem which is a better standard than international and Pep who trusts Foden you see what can be achieved. And its really as simple as that TBH. Playing our best RB as centre back to accommodate another 3 RBs or whatever it was in a WC squad was laughable TBH and showed a lack of real decision making and leadership.
City have players who treasure the ball
England have players who react to the ball
It’s like chalk and cheese
Actually feels like Southgate is trying to play conte ball without the players or the brains

England either need to win midfield or to play counter
To win midfield there needs to be a holder, a player who will go B2B and probably another creator who can score
That to me looks and sounds like rice, Bellingham and probably Maddison
The 3 up top need to have 1 who is rapid, one who is clever and one who is Kane…
Not sure who the rapid one is that’s traditionally been Sterling… who just gets the ball under himself all the time. Rashford could do the job to be fair. He has the pace
In fact Rashford, Kane and Foden has goals and guile in it
He can’t play 3-5-2 as he doesn’t have a left wing back unless chillwell gets more game time there or he goes for sessegnon
Big arse isn’t getting games at United which wing change and Saka was IMO a solid gamble that backfired
Right side James was poor last night but is exceptional
So play 4-3-3 as I’ve suggested

England either need to win midfield or to play counter
To win midfield there needs to be a holder, a player who will go B2B and probably another creator who can score
That to me looks and sounds like rice, Bellingham and probably Maddison
The 3 up top need to have 1 who is rapid, one who is clever and one who is Kane…
Not sure who the rapid one is that’s traditionally been Sterling… who just gets the ball under himself all the time. Rashford could do the job to be fair. He has the pace
In fact Rashford, Kane and Foden has goals and guile in it
He can’t play 3-5-2 as he doesn’t have a left wing back unless chillwell gets more game time there or he goes for sessegnon
Big arse isn’t getting games at United which wing change and Saka was IMO a solid gamble that backfired
Right side James was poor last night but is exceptional
So play 4-3-3 as I’ve suggested

Southgate has fallen into the biggest trap of them all which is now trying to fit players in a system rather than set a system first. In that team yesterday we had a RWB as RCB, and Saka on the LWBish role, its odd and looks confused. If after his time with this core of players he still does not know his system then he should not really be leading them now

City have players who treasure the ball
England have players who react to the ball
It’s like chalk and cheese
Actually feels like Southgate is trying to play conte ball without the players or the brains

Its like that because he has us playing scared. A few years back we were fearless and tonking teams for laughs, including some great showings against Spain and Germany. Now we looked back in our box and devoid of confidence and ideas.

Back