• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

If that is true and Harry did pull out of managing England purely because he wanted Terry to be captain, then he even more stupid than any of his critics (of which i am one) could possibly believe he was...i mean to turn down your dream job because of some fading cvnt who uses racist language??

Just heard a very interesting rumor that is linked to us.

In the last round of manager interviews Redknapp was given a 3 year contract by England, Redknapp insisted on making Terry captain upon being made manager. Bernstein denied this and said Harry could have him in squad but not as captain, Harry therefore pulled out the deal. Roy got the job, towed the line on Terry and took the job.

By this time Levy made his mind up on Harry for a few reasons so Harry finishing high and getting sacked may have been seen as a shock....it wasn't

Not true, he never even got to go for a interview for the job, the FA remembered what happened the last time they gave the job to a ( so called) messiah.

Again I agree, sometimes the truth is harder to work out than fiction...

I do wonder if it's a nice story put out by the Redknapps to cover for the fact that an offer actually didn't materialise (sounds better for him doesn't it....even if he looks more stupid to have such a 'principle')

I do wonder if it's a nice story put out by the Redknapps to cover for the fact that an offer actually didn't materialise (sounds better for him doesn't it....even if he looks more stupid to have such a 'principle')
Could also be that it wasn't Terry in particular that was the problem, it was the FA sticking their noses into managerial decisions.

After all, if they did that, what would stop them from telling 'Arry he couldn't take a 5th right back to a tournament simply because he (and therefore 'Arry's mate his agent) would be due an international appearance bonus?

Not true, he never even got to go for a interview for the job, the FA remembered what happened the last time they gave the job to a ( so called) messiah.

I agree that it seems like a strange story. And I really doubt Redknapp would step away from the England job over an issue like that.

What I will believe is that by then Levy had essentially made his mind up that Redknapp was history at Spurs. A good history, fond memory. But it was time to move on.

Could also be that it wasn't Terry in particular that was the problem, it was the FA sticking their noses into managerial decisions.

After all, if they did that, what would stop them from telling 'Arry he couldn't take a 5th right back to a tournament simply because he (and therefore 'Arry's mate his agent) would be due an international appearance bonus?

Interesting take on this...could explain why certain players always get picked constantly (or taken to tournaments instead of more established players even though there is no plan to actually play them **cough**Walcott**cough**)

Interesting take on this...could explain why certain players always get picked constantly (or taken to tournaments instead of more established players even though there is no plan to actually play them **cough**Walcott**cough**)
I may be being naive, but I don't see Woy as one of those Redknapp/Pulis types with fingers in all the pies.

Venables yes, Keegan possibly, looking at Sven's selections it's the only answer!

I think Woy is probably the cleanest man in English football, he does have some funny ideas but he reaches them through optimistic deliberation rather than an agenda imo.

I think he's doing a fine job with the incredibly limited resources he has.

I think Woy is probably the cleanest man in English football, he does have some funny ideas but he reaches them through optimistic deliberation rather than an agenda imo.

I think he's doing a fine job with the incredibly limited resources he has.

I believe that is a good summing up of the job he is doing.

I agree that it seems like a strange story. And I really doubt Redknapp would step away from the England job over an issue like that.

What I will believe is that by then Levy had essentially made his mind up that Redknapp was history at Spurs. A good history, fond memory. But it was time to move on.

Its more then strange its flimflam, I know for sure that " rent a quote" never had a chance at being offered the job.

There was a thread on Bluemoon discussing Roy's selections and how it ties in with agents he works with and deals etc. It all sounded quite convincing if I'm honest, but could be tin-foil hat territory. There was credible links in the thread. Can't be arsed to look for it though.

Whilst I don't think Hodgson has a particularly talented squad, there are a few talented players within that squad. It is a big part of a manager's role to get the best out of the players and really above all else to get them playing as a team. Neither of which he has done, so I wouldn't say he's done a 'fine' job as he hasn't achieved a fundamental part of the managers role. If we look at other successful national teams or even teams that have given a better account for themselves against us than we would expect, a lot of the time its teams who have done so either through individual brilliance (or even individually dismal; looking at you Rob Green) performances or cohesive team performances that allow that brilliance to happen (either through laying the foundation for individual brilliance or raising the game of other players to a level of brilliance). The best example I can give of a lesser talented team achieving success on the back of team cohesiveness (with an admittedly excellent James Rodriguez) is Colombia in 2014's world cup.

Also, the football we play is so boring, even if we do score goals against bad teams - goals don't always mean exciting attacking football.

The idea behind playing boring football is generally that it gets results despite a lack of style so boring football with no results is pointless.

Last edited:
If I'm reading right, the third place team in each group only has to have more points that two other third place teams from other groups to progress to the knockout round, so we'd have to do extremely badly to not qualify.

My team for the Euros would be

GKS Forster, Butland, Hart

RBs Kyle Walker, Clyne (wanted to include trippier and you could argue it'd be good continuity but, Clyne has much more experience) - both good Right backs with a bit of pace
CBs- Smalling, Stones, Scott Dann and Phil Jones
LBs - Rose, (guessing shaw will still be injured) Bertrand

Right sided midfielder/forward - Walcott (spits), Zaha - both can also play on the left
Central midfielders/dms/attacking mids - Alli, Dier (obviously), Milner (good amount of goals and assists, key passes per game is good, hey would be a good player in a three but, not as the main main midfielder) Barkley, Drinkwater.

Left Sided midfielder/Forward - Junior Stanislas, Sterling

Strikers - KANE, Vardy, Troy Deeney (not a bad player in reality, obvious third choice though - replaced by sturridge if not injured)

XI based on form and suitability:

GK Forster

Walker

Stones

Smalling

Rose

Dier

Drinkwater

Right - Walcott

Centre - Ali

Left - Sterling

Kane

Subs
Vardy
Zaha
Barkley
Milner
Dann
Bertrand
Hart

I would've actually wanted to include Mason in the squad as I think his energy could be particularly useful in matches that are often slow paced but, Milner has had a good season with fewer injuries

Last edited:
Back