• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

In the home end whilst away..

lynneb

Jason Cundy
Just listening to The Spurs Show podcast & one of the guests sat with Spammers for Monday's game.

Where have you sat /stood with home supporters away from home?

My scariest experience was Barnsley away 1997/98. Gross was manager and we were fighting relegation. Desperate to go at the last minute, my husband managed to persuade the owner of Barnsley sponsors ( a car dealership) to source a couple of tickets. It turns out that we had the seats of two of the Barnsley supporters, who had been banned for trouble at a game with Liverpool. Major problem was all their mates were still in their seats. Everyone around was singing & we got daggers for not, so ended up having to join in.. So under my breath instead of Danny Wilson's R & W army, I was singing Christian Gross' B&W one. Game finished 1-1. I was never so pleased to get out of a ground in my life.

Bolton away a couple of season's ago, when we were in CL. Think it was after the Inter game perhaps. Bolton fans are bellends and it took every ounce for me not to celebrate Pav's Volley, class goal. Dreadful performance though...

Everton last season, really bad game...

Stamford Bridge when we "parked the bus" not that it needs confirming but everything you hear about their anti semitism is correct from my experience. Truely awful people.

Highbury when Graham went back for the first time in 98/99?, a dull 0-0, I was quite young so didn't give a brick.

Southampton FA Cup January 2003. I'd been living down here for five years, my visits to WHL had become less frequent, maybe once a year, it was a dull time for Spurs. 2002 had been a bad year around for me, New Years 2003 was a personal disaster and I saw this as a chance for me to kick start the new year. I'd very much adopted Saints as a second team, and I must admit I thought it would be interesting to see how I felt as the game went. I thought I'd want Spurs to win, but if Saints sneaked Id be happy for my mates for the community. My two favourite teams, a new year, yeah 2003 I need TP for my bunghole!

Spurs lost 4-0 and I worked out damn well who I supported.

Stamford Bridge when we "parked the bus" not that it needs confirming but everything you hear about their anti semitism is correct from my experience. Truely awful people.

Highbury when Graham went back for the first time in 98/99?, a dull 0-0, I was quite young so didn't give a brick.

Been in the home end of Stamford Bridge once too - very scary place.

I was lucky that for once their fans were making some noise so nobody heard my "Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur" ringtone 10 minutes in.

Emirates Marketing Project a couple of times and Wolves. Northerners fudging everywhere. Wouldn't do it again - no enjoyment whatsoever

Only did it once. Late 80's I went to the Dell with some Saints supporters my Mum worked with. They thought I'd like to go and watch Spurs but would have to stand with them in the home end (I would have been 12/13 at the time). We won 2-0, Chrissy Waddle scored one that came 2nd or 3rd in goal of the season. I wanted to celebrate but thought I'd better not and had to explode after i got out of the ground. Don't think I was in any danger but thought I wouldn't risk it :)

I was lucky that for once their fans were making some noise so nobody heard my "Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur" ringtone 10 minutes in.

Same. The entire 90 was "stand up if you hate Tottenham" and "Yiddo" everytime we had a corner. Forgettable game, we lost 2-0.

At Anfield and Brentford.
Scousers were excellent, a good laugh and very decent (especially considering Ruddock netted our equalizer -he was a dipper at the time)...Brentford was a disgrace. My missus (attending her first away game) and my Mum both got shoved by a group of 40-something hip-flask swigging arseholes. I fronted them, stewards came along, my missus burst into tears, I told her we would leave if she was upset, we got as far as the main stand corridor and she declared she did not want them 'winning'...back in we went, to the sight of my Mum telling them what a bunch of arseholes they were, etc, etc...they were like shamed little boys! To boot, we were only there because her fella was a Brentford fan who thought it'd be nice for us all to sit together! He doesn't like confrontation and was nowhere as it initially kicked off. I avoided getting chucked out and so did they. Today? Oh we'd all have been slung out/arrested, etc, etc...

Have seen games from both the Kop and the Stretford end , the Scousers were fine but the Mancs were another story.

I don't know whether this counts, but I always used to stand in the old North Bank (at Highbury)? Often wondered why it was so quiet in there until after a slight "scuffle or two", I found out that I was amongst friends.....Lol.

Reading away was the next time, FA Cup replay, which we won, 1-0. I remember a sweeping move, which ended with Steed hitting a dipping volley that was destined for the top corner. As I rose to celebrate the goal, the Reading 'keeper pulled off a world class save. At this point, I realised where I was and I had to rapidly change my disappointment to "oh, what a save". Most of the Royal's fans that I was sat around had worked out where my real allegiances lay, but were good enough to keep quiet. However, after that experience, I vowed never to sit in an away end again.

I don't know whether this counts, but I always used to stand in the old North Bank (at Highbury)? Often wondered why it was so quiet in there until after a slight "scuffle or two", I found out that I was amongst friends.....Lol.

Reading away was the next time, FA Cup replay, which we won, 1-0. I remember a sweeping move, which ended with Steed hitting a dipping volley that was destined for the top corner. As I rose to celebrate the goal, the Reading 'keeper pulled off a world class save. At this point, I realised where I was and I had to rapidly change my disappointment to "oh, what a save". Most of the Royal's fans that I was sat around had worked out where my real allegiances lay, but were good enough to keep quiet. However, after that experience, I vowed never to sit in an away end again.

I forgot to mention my two trips in 80 and 81...yes...in 1980 I remember someone either burning something or throwing a homemade petrol bomb (milk bottle with paraffin and a rag stopper)...the old days...do you remember the fire I'm talking about mate?

1982 at Highbury. Was 13 years old and me and a mate couldn't get tickets for Spurs end but snagged a couple in Scum end. Stood next to the biggest ugliest bloke I had ever seen and it turned out he was one of the "leaders" of the Arsenal Hard nuts. Crooks scored and my immediate reaction was to start cheering when about 20 idiots around me started abusing and threatening me. The big bloke told them all to f*** off, put his arm around me and laughed telling me I was the ****iest yid he had ever met. He stayed beside me all game and then made sure I left the ground safe afterwards with my mate.

Similar (but not strictly "away") was QPR fa cup final replay. Last minute tickets off a tout but at the wrong end. It was full of Gooner scum who got hold of a job lot of QPR tickets and for the entire game we were bombarded with coins and bottles. The police stood by and watched.a

Same. The entire 90 was "stand up if you hate Tottenham" and "Yiddo" everytime we had a corner. Forgettable game, we lost 2-0.

Similar, in 1996 away at Stamford Bridge. Armstrong was playing for us and scored. I was so terrified I didn't even stay til the end . At one point I saw a real Chelsea neanderthal who knew me, luckily with my collar up and a baseball cap on he didn't spot me. He's the kind of guy who would have pointed me out if he had.

It was possibly my worst footballing experience ever. The level of vitriol was remarkable. I swore never to sit with opposition fans again after that.

Last edited:
Quite a few times now I think on.
1st ever live Spurs game. Relegation season, back of the Kippax with the City fans, We lost 5-0, I cheered when we got a corner near the end, I was only 15, all the CIty fans around me patted me on the head.

Sat with an Everton fan(work colleague) and his dad twice in the 90s. 1st time(1-1) didnt join in when Everton when 1up and my mate 'dobbed me in'. Got a bit of stick until we equalised. we I enjoyed.
2nd time in the Gladyws St we won 1-0, was advised beforehand to keep quiet if we scored. Just dug my mate in the ribs when we scored.

A rep let me have tickets at Anfield one year, wasnt too bad considering we lost 6-2 and Teddy even missed a pen

Won 2 tickets for a United games about 6 seasonsago via a Manc radio station. We lost 1-0 and really didnt enjoy the experience. I would be very reluctant to ever sit amongst oppositon fans again, especially after standing amongst our own fans so many times now. Our away following is magnificent and Id be too gutted to be at an away game and not be amongst our own crowd

I forgot to mention my two trips in 80 and 81...yes...in 1980 I remember someone either burning something or throwing a homemade petrol bomb (milk bottle with paraffin and a rag stopper)...the old days...do you remember the fire I'm talking about mate?

Wasn't the fire bomb incident at the Lane in 1980?

My work had (until this year and those business bribery laws 8-[) season tickets in with the prawn sandwich lot at Old Trafford.

I'll never forget going apebrick when we went 2-0 up in 09 and giving it large to all those around me (it's the prawn sandwich lot - Eamonn Holmes sits a few rows in front for gods sake!). I continued to do this right through half time in the 'Manchester Suite'.

#-o

But I must say. That was never, EVER, a fudging penalty.

Although I must add, I was also in the Manchester Suite (with boss/clients - Wigan I think it was?) watching on the tv when Kaboul scored the winner in the 3-2 against Arseholes and due to the fact they could have gone above Utd to top I think if they beat us the place went absolutely fudging nuts and all the Utd fans were going as mental as me. \o/

It was actually hilarious and slightly weird.

Do you remember the Hamlet adverts? That would have been a fudging perfect one! :ross:

I cant remember it too well but it was when we played Arsenal in the Carling Cup semis at the emirates and I know for a fact Paul Robinson was in goal.
I paid £70 for a ticket in their end because a ticket in ours was £150, off the touts..

I was completely hammered (Also I was only about 15 at the time!) and I kept on singing "Englands number one!" about Paul Robinson constantly and eventually got into a shed load of aggro with a few 40 somethings. Funnily enough he got kicked out and I didnt. I left not too long afterwards though after being warned I was close to getting my head kicked in. I think it finished a draw (Or we won!?)

Wow, I was hammered..

Last edited:
Back