• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I guess we Spurs fans are suckers for lost causes... I vividly remember the same "give him so more time.... he'll come good" pleas with every big name foreign signing who flopped; be it Rebrov, Postiga, Soldado and now Lamela. It didn't work for the first three and I cannot seeing it do so for Lamela. The guy has not had a single outstanding MOM game in his two years; just "quite decent" turnouts against weak sides like the EL group fodder we played against and the Burnleys and Hulls of the EPL. An assist here and there does not change much in my opinion.

There is no way he deserves to start games, especially if we have the likes of Pritchard, Alli, Clint and now maybe Son chomping at the bit. And if he doesn't start games, being on the bench will benefit neither him nor the club.

To me the solution is simple: loan him to Inter but as Atletico did with Toby, insert a buyback clause if he has a storming season in Serie A. If anything it will allow us to bump up the price.

We have a meritocracy don't we?
If Lamela starts ahead of those guys in the coming season it will surely be because he is playing better than them at the time, no?

Before any smartasses mention Leicester, i say again, it was logical he started ahead of the following:

* Townsend - injured
* Pritchard, Alli, N'Jie - no PL experience yet; in the case of Pritchard coming back from an injury, in the case of N'Jie getting up to speed re training etc
* Dembele - he started alongside him, but if he starts ahead of him, would that be a shock seeing as Dembele has about 4 assists in 3 years?

i actually dont think its a 100% meritocracy....no.

i think several things can play an important factor...no least of all money and experience

Lamela isn't coming good for us anytime soon - if we can offload him then great for us and for him. I was looking back through my old posts and Lamela exhibits exactly the same problems now as those identified by several posters back in autumn/winter of 2013.

And besides his technical issues, where does he play? He has been tried in a variety of positions by several managers and not looked up to the standards we need in any of them. There is only so much improvement you can get out of player from coaching, and on the training ground. I think Lamela's issues are too fundamental, too ingrained in his footballing DNA, to get him to play at the level we want, in the way we want, in the Premiership.

Lamella out and Son in for the pretty much the same money is possibly great business if Son settles

We would effectively be upgrading and Not be out of pocket

I can live with him being sold or staying. He's been a major disappointment, but we have invested a lot in him so I can see the value in keeping him for another season, provided he has a spell on the bench for the foreseeable future, I'd rather give Pritchard or N'jie a run in the side.

Lamela isn't coming good for us anytime soon - if we can offload him then great for us and for him. I was looking back through my old posts and Lamela exhibits exactly the same problems now as those identified by several posters back in autumn/winter of 2013.

And besides his technical issues, where does he play? He has been tried in a variety of positions by several managers and not looked up to the standards we need in any of them. There is only so much improvement you can get out of player from coaching, and on the training ground. I think Lamela's issues are too fundamental, too ingrained in his footballing DNA, to get him to play at the level we want, in the way we want, in the Premiership.

You know the writing is in the wall when his own Dad openly says he may not be suited to the Premier League and it's for the best if he goes back to Italy.

Lamella out and Son in for the pretty much the same money is possibly great business if Son settles

We would effectively be upgrading and Not be out of pocket

I don't think it's the same money, though. Son's fee is being quoted as being 20 million quid. Lamela's fee is being quoted as being 20 million euros.

I don't want Erik to go, and still think he's got a metric ton of talent we haven't seen quite yet. But if he does go...I think any potential Son-Lamela swap will end up with us losing money, if the reported fees are true.

If we are being offered anywhere near to £20m ( £4m/5m for a years loan and then a £14m fee) then we should cut our losses and take it. Lamela for me has been an even bigger disappointment than Soldado on a personal level just because i expected so much development from him as a flair player and he has just looked lost 95% of the time.

I do agree that potentially a player is within him but I don't think it is here in England and I also feel he won't mature properly until he is 26/27 and we simply don't have the time to allow that. If it is basically Lamela out for Son in then if it involves a bit of a loss then so be it but we definitely need to invest the other incoming funds and wages that have been freed up on 3 more players if we want to be anywhere near competing for a 4th place finish.

Lamela is the one of the munificent seven that I'd like to see come good. All transfers represent a gamble so I can accept that some don't work out, but one good and one adequate is not enough. If Lamela was to fulfil his potential it would make an acceptable return for that summer and, more importantly, we'd have a player. It would be disappointing to see him leave as a failure.

On the other hand, if Inter offer £20m, then I agree we'd have to take it

Lamela is the one of the munificent seven that I'd like to see come good. All transfers represent a gamble so I can accept that some don't work out, but one good and one adequate is not enough. If Lamela was to fulfil his potential it would make an acceptable return for that summer and, more importantly, we'd have a player. It would be disappointing to see him leave as a failure.

On the other hand, if Inter offer £20m, then I agree we'd have to take it

If they offer £20m then they're nuts!!

If Lamela really is on his way out, then it gives me hope that we might be bringing in both Son and Berahino. I didn't think we'd be spending the guts of £50m on two players, but from the little I know about them, they are both excellent prospects that could - alongside Njie - massively improve us.

Exciting times! COYS

Back