• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

If he has gone, then fine. He hasn't shown enough end product, nor skills well applied, nor effort.

Maybe a number of reasons, and I don't wish him other than more success elsewhere.

Sorry mate but that's a load of tosh. You cannot polish a turd, and irrespective of what he did in Italy, Lamela in the EPL can only be described - at best - as a fish out of water.

The only way Poch's place will be at risk is if the signings he approved this year go the same way of Lamela. For some reason, maybe blind optimism, I don't think they will...

I am convinced If Lamela goes, Pochettino will have to follow him later in the season. I always thought the main reason Levy appointed Pochettino was to help his fellow Argentine Lamela to improve. We even brought on another Argentine, Fazio. It was so rare for us to have 3 Argentines at Spurs. So, with us trying to sell Fazio and Lamela, it will mean Pochettino has failed to do his job and surely his position will be under risk unless he improves the team instantly.

That is preposterous

Hope we keep Lamela atleast for 1 more season. If we sell him, all the pressure will be on Son to prove his worth as the most expensive current Spurs player.

I am convinced If Lamela goes, Pochettino will have to follow him later in the season. I always thought the main reason Levy appointed Pochettino was to help his fellow Argentine Lamela to improve. We even brought on another Argentine, Fazio. It was so rare for us to have 3 Argentines at Spurs. So, with us trying to sell Fazio and Lamela, it will mean Pochettino has failed to do his job and surely his position will be under risk unless he improves the team instantly.

The team does not revolve around Lamela. Sorry but this ridiculous. Can I just ask what exactly you have seen in him at Spurs to justify this profound belief in him?

The team does not revolve around Lamela. Sorry but this ridiculous. Can I just ask what exactly you have seen in him at Spurs to justify this profound belief in him?

Lamela was our most creative player last season with 8 assists in all competitions. Do we have another player who can create as many goals as him ? The original Eriksen surely can but he has gone AWOL since the League Cup semi final.

When Lamela goes Pochettino may be able to come off his medication. I know he makes my blood pressure soar!

Last edited:
Lamela was our most creative player last season with 8 assists in all competitions. Do we have another player who can create as many goals as him ? The original Eriksen surely can but he has gone AWOL since the League Cup semi final.

Most assists does not equal most creative player, Eriksen is our most creative player and one of the main reasons we finished 5th. Yes Lamela got assists, but it's hardly an earth shattering amount, you bang on about him like he's Cesc Fabregas and gets 20 assists per season and creates chances for fun. Other than the occasional assist and decent corner, he's a liability and gives away needless fouls and most importantly, doesn't score enough.

I will be amazed if he is as bad/disappointing as Lamela

I don't think Lamela has been terrible, but disappointing is the key word. It's not his fault we spent so much on him, but with that amount of investment comes heightened expectation. If we had spent say £7M on an exiting prospect from overseas and got most of our money back 2 seasons later if it hasn't worked out (which I believe is the case here), most on this board would have been pleased we'd taken a punt and moved on with 'no hard feelings' especially when you can see the lad is trying (or perhaps overtrying). What is upsetting in this case is that it was a third or our 'Bale money' on a player that was bought to fill exactly that slot.

The problem with Lamela for me though is consistency. He is still making the same basic errors he did when he was 'adjusting to the league' and the lack of development in his game looks irredeemable in his time here. If someone will give us a reasonable chunk of the investment back then I say sell, also hoping a lot of the original fee was performance-based and therefore not payable.

He isn't though is he?

I think he is.

Townsend offers something specific - bringing the ball forward extremely quickly and effectively.

That's not much, but at least it's something.

Lamela brings nothing to the team. His workrate is ostensibly useful, but he just bumps into players or makes very poorly timed challenges, giving away stupid fouls.

Most assists does not equal most creative player, Eriksen is our most creative player and one of the main reasons we finished 5th. Yes Lamela got assists, but it's hardly an earth shattering amount, you bang on about him like he's Cesc Fabregas and gets 20 assists per season and creates chances for fun. Other than the occasional assist and decent corner, he's a liability and gives away needless fouls and most importantly, doesn't score enough.

Not sure how you can say Eriksen was our most creative player last season. He only had 2 assists. He is more a goal scorer as he scored 10 goals. You cannot discredit Lamela'a assists as there are only 15 players who had more assists than him in the PL, 14 of them with only 4 assists more than him. Only Fabregas was way too high with 18 assists.

This is why I hate us buying young players like Lamela. We always buy young but always give up on them after 2 or 3 years. We should either buy experienced players age 25 or higher or don't bother buy them at all.

I think he is.

Townsend offers something specific - bringing the ball forward extremely quickly and effectively.

That's not much, but at least it's something.

Lamela brings nothing to the team. His workrate is ostensibly useful, but he just bumps into players or makes very poorly timed challenges, giving away stupid fouls.

How should we judge whether it is effective?

Not sure how you can say Eriksen was our most creative player last season. He only had 2 assists. He is more a goal scorer as he scored 10 goals. You cannot discredit Lamela'a assists as there are only 15 players who had more assists than him in the PL, 14 of them with only 4 assists more than him. Only Fabregas was way too high with 18 assists.

This is why I hate us buying young players like Lamela. We always buy young but always give up on them after 2 or 3 years. We should either buy experienced players age 25 or higher or don't bother buy them at all.

Is argue that eriksen would have got more assists if players like lamella, Townsend and Chadli for ex woke coils finish like him

A prime example was the Stoke game a few weeks ago where erisken put Chadli through and he passed it back to the keeper with a woeful first touch... Lamella would have probably kicked it out for a goal kick... Townsend would have checked back, tried to beat the nearest defender even if he was behind him and hit the upper tier.... Kane or Eriksen would have at least made the keeper work for it as there classy players who can do pretty much everything attacking wise

I don't think there's much in it, both aren't good enough but Lamela is slightly more productive. Both excel in set pieces, Lamela with corners and Townsend with penalties, probably each player's strength

This corner stuff just comes across as a way to diminish his actual contribution imo - he's far more productive than Townsend in open who really offers nothing, no creativity no goals and no tracking back/pressing

Back