• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I don't think it's the same money, though. Son's fee is being quoted as being 20 million quid. Lamela's fee is being quoted as being 20 million euros.

I don't want Erik to go, and still think he's got a metric ton of talent we haven't seen quite yet. But if he does go...I think any potential Son-Lamela swap will end up with us losing money, if the reported fees are true.

Exchange rates swing though and let's be honest who knows what Son will really cost

I don't think he is the worst player ever. He is just the weakest player in the 2015/2016 Spurs team. I always think that the best way to improve a team is to replace the weakest component(s). There are also other players in our team that I would like to see upgraded, but upgrading them is a lower priority than upgrading the weakest link.

I honestly think that if Lamela had been an English player coming through from our youth team instead of being a £26 million Argentinian then he would’ve been written off as being not good enough by now. He has poor control, is completely one footed, gets tackled a lot, misplaces far too many easy passes, has an anaemic goal scoring contribution and his defensive contribution consists of playground football style charging in the direction of the opposition player that has possession of the ball, with no actual thought to the team’s general defensive shape, then on the occasions where he actually gets to the player before they offload the ball he commits a foul and leaves us defending a set piece.

I know it’s galling to have to admit that we’ve wasted £26 million quid, having already spunked a similar amount on our previous weak link that we now look to have managed to upgrade (fingers crossed that we actually do bring in Berahino!) However after two years with no noticeable improvement in Lamela’s performances I think it is time for us to face facts and try to recoup some money on him before his value plummets even further.

I do understand the financial implications of holding on to a player for to long if the expected return of the player's capabilities does not materialise out on the pitch. But, I do think your assessment of Lamela is a little unfair and perhaps based on his high transfer fee?

I don't agree with you that he has poor control , certainly not any worse than any of our other players in our squad. Also, Plenty of players are one footed are they not? I agree he does get tackled more so than any of our other forward players, but he has better take on stats than all our other forward players bar Eriksen and in this regard , the Dane is only marginally better than him. He's defending I agree with you, is at times rash so IMO if he's not a fit for the current system , he must be taken aside and coached better but meanwhile be used in a Plan B, in front three (4-3-3) alongside Kane.
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...lost/fouls_committed/successful_take_ons_%#90
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...lost/fouls_committed/successful_take_ons_%#90

I do think this web link below is worth a read ( perhaps worth a thread of it's own? ) as this sums up my feelings on the impatience shown by many that follow our club.

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/10-things-tottenham-fans-really-need-to-remember-this-season

3. Erik Lamela isn’t a harbinger of the apocalypse

On the verge of moving back to Italy—apparently—Erik Lamela remains still full of promise, perhaps destined to fulfil it elsewhere. Some fans have made him out to be a one-man problem machine, the cause of every issue present at Tottenham, and that’s obviously absurd. His sale will cause more questions than answers, and his position within the squad shouldn’t be under question this season. Perhaps not an automatic starter, but clearly talented enough to be given chances in the cup competitions, Lamela is a victim of a transfer fee he had no part in setting.

His sale would represent as much of a failure on the behalf of Tottenham as it would the player himself, perhaps even more so, and it shouldn’t be seen as a fix-all deal to remedy all that is wrong at the club. Lamela joined the club at a time where it was full of promise, with the Bale money reinvested in such a way that most believed the squad to be better off for it, with a young manager in place to help see that vision through. That failed to last a season.

I just worry that the impatience shown by many of our following will stink the place (WHL) out and that the progression of our young players, as individuals, and as a team will suffer. You and others have got your wish, and Lamela is soon out the door, so perhaps now is a good time to ask who is now in your crosshairs as the next weakest link?

I realise we have invested a lot, but you have to admit defeat at a certain point.

Its not just the investment....and at the risk of people rolling their eyes again :rolleyes: I am quite certain he has been playing within himself and we have seen nowhere near the boys talent.

As you know I have defended him vigorously on here.

But yes if the quotes from his Father are true then its some indication that Lamela is not willing to put in the required effort that we need, I cant really admit defeat just yet, he is still here....if he remains past the transfer window, then I will continue to hope he shows something special in our shirt.

Football is a funny old game and its not quite time to admit defeat just yet, if he goes then yes, if he stays then of course he has an extended period of time at going for some redemption.

On the verge of moving back to Italy—apparently—Erik Lamela remains still full of promise, perhaps destined to fulfil it elsewhere. Some fans have made him out to be a one-man problem machine, the cause of every issue present at Tottenham, and that’s obviously absurd. His sale will cause more questions than answers, and his position within the squad shouldn’t be under question this season. Perhaps not an automatic starter, but clearly talented enough to be given chances in the cup competitions, Lamela is a victim of a transfer fee he had no part in setting.

His sale would represent as much of a failure on the behalf of Tottenham as it would the player himself, perhaps even more so, and it shouldn’t be seen as a fix-all deal to remedy all that is wrong at the club. Lamela joined the club at a time where it was full of promise, with the Bale money reinvested in such a way that most believed the squad to be better off for it, with a young manager in place to help see that vision through. That failed to last a season.

I just worry that the impatience shown by many of our following will stink the place (WHL) out and that the progression of our young players, as individuals, and as a team will suffer. You and others have got your wish, and Lamela is soon out the door, so perhaps now is a good time to ask who is now in your crosshairs as the next weakest link?

This some of our fans should read and contemplate.

I do understand the financial implications of holding on to a player for to long if the expected return of the player's capabilities does not materialise out on the pitch. But, I do think your assessment of Lamela is a little unfair and perhaps based on his high transfer fee?

I don't agree with you that he has poor control , certainly not any worse than any of our other players in our squad. Also, Plenty of players are one footed are they not? I agree he does get tackled more so than any of our other forward players, but he has better take on stats than all our other forward players bar Eriksen and in this regard , the Dane is only marginally better than him. He's defending I agree with you, is at times rash so IMO if he's not a fit for the current system , he must be taken aside and coached better but meanwhile be used in a Plan B, in front three (4-3-3) alongside Kane.

I do think this web link below is worth a read ( perhaps worth a thread of it's own? ) as this sums up my feelings on the impatience shown by many that follow our club.
http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/10-things-tottenham-fans-really-need-to-remember-this-season

I think that article is a great one. I agree with almost every point and certainly with the general thrust of the article particularly point 8 and 9.

Surely the whole point of improving a football team is to identify the weakest link and replace them with a stronger player? You say it as if no player should ever be let go.

It isn't like, as the author of that article suggests, Lamela has been made a spacegoat due to his transfer fee - he has been underwhelming regardless of his price-tag. Just like Soldado was.

While Lamela is a talent, you can argue that he is stopping promising home grown players from getting games. If he's sold, allowing the younger Pritchard or Njie a greater role, is his sale really stopping the progression of young players?

I agree we should show patience with Lamela and young players in general, but if the price is right, there are equal, possibly better options; which is evidenced by Dembele being ahead of Lamela in the team right now.

Last edited:
While Lamela is a talent, you can argue that he is stopping promising home grown players from getting games. If he's sold, allow the younger Pritchard or Njie a greater role, is really stopping the progression of young players?

I agree we should show patience with Lamela and young players in general, but if the price is right, there are equal, possibly better options; which is evidenced by Dembele being ahead of Lamela in the team right now.

Spot on. It's a judgment that the club and Poch in particular has to make, and if that's what they think, then that's it.

Its not just the investment....and at the risk of people rolling their eyes again :rolleyes: I am quite certain he has been playing within himself and we have seen nowhere near the boys talent.

As you know I have defended him vigorously on here.

But yes if the quotes from his Father are true then its some indication that Lamela is not willing to put in the required effort that we need, I cant really admit defeat just yet, he is still here....if he remains past the transfer window, then I will continue to hope he shows something special in our shirt.

Football is a funny old game and its not quite time to admit defeat just yet, if he goes then yes, if he stays then of course he has an extended period of time at going for some redemption.

I'm not totally against him staying, I would prefer that he leave personally, but he should not be first choice for a long time until he makes a few sub appearances and proves firstly not to be a liability let alone contribute in terms of goals and overall play.

I am convinced If Lamela goes, Pochettino will have to follow him later in the season. I always thought the main reason Levy appointed Pochettino was to help his fellow Argentine Lamela to improve. We even brought on another Argentine, Fazio. It was so rare for us to have 3 Argentines at Spurs. So, with us trying to sell Fazio and Lamela, it will mean Pochettino has failed to do his job and surely his position will be under risk unless he improves the team instantly.

I am convinced If Lamela goes, Pochettino will have to follow him later in the season. I always thought the main reason Levy appointed Pochettino was to help his fellow Argentine Lamela to improve. We even brought on another Argentine, Fazio. It was so rare for us to have 3 Argentines at Spurs. So, with us trying to sell Fazio and Lamela, it will mean Pochettino has failed to do his job and surely his position will be under risk unless he improves the team instantly.

Pochettino's success or failure will not hinge on the underperformance of 2 players just because they come from Argentina but on the performance of the whole team.

Lamela was neither a Poch' buy nor does he fit in to Poch's system so whether he stays or goes will not impact on whether Poch' stays or not.

That's why it's 6mill now and 14 next year probably split over some time.I suppose if we bought Son and kept Lamela we wouldn't go big on another striker

I doubt that would have anything to do with it.

Sorry mate but that's a load of tosh. You cannot polish a turd, and irrespective of what he did in Italy, Lamela in the EPL can only be described - at best - as a fish out of water.

The only way Poch's place will be at risk is if the signings he approved this year go the same way of Lamela. For some reason, maybe blind optimism, I don't think they will...

Sorry mate but that's a load of tosh. You cannot polish a turd, and irrespective of what he did in Italy, Lamela in the EPL can only be described - at best - as a fish out of water.

The only way Poch's place will be at risk is if the signings he approved this year go the same way of Lamela. For some reason, maybe blind optimism, I don't think they will...

.... but you can roll it in glitter. I'm with you, though.

Back