• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

The Euros didn't seem to be affecting them when they were dispatching City and going one point off top.

Come on, he is key to our press and is passionate. He'd have helped big time in the last two European games, surely...if only to show some fight and get at least some of our pressing game going

Him and Eriksen have both been below par, work rate aside. Impossible to say whether he would have made a difference either way tbh but I personally think he's a bit overrated on this forum, Spurs57891 robot being the biggest fan.

Most under appreciated player on this forum in my opinion. We never look better when he's not playing, he helps defensively with his pressing from the front, and his ability to actually try defence splitting passes and be forward thinking when on the ball is something we don't have enough of i.e. Creativity, even if it doesn't always come off....

I'd say it's almost the opposite but most won't agree.

Him and Eriksen have both been below par, work rate aside. Impossible to say whether he would have made a difference either way tbh but I personally think he's a bit overrated on this forum, Spurs57891 robot being the biggest fan.

Eriksen and Lamela have been below par true, but Lamela has at least got stuck in and has been a bit more creative imo. In fact i'm sure our defensive capabilities have gone done overall since he has been away..

I was just about to make that point in another thread. Without Lamela chasing back our defence send midfield have looked much shakier. Even just his willingness to close down and be a nuisance is enough to help out.

I was just about to make that point in another thread. Without Lamela chasing back our defence send midfield have looked much shakier. Even just his willingness to close down and be a nuisance is enough to help out.

Its not just Lamella... serious question, when did we last name an unchanged side.

Im gonna wager a guess at Chelsea away last season

Eriksen and Lamela have been below par true, but Lamela has at least got stuck in and has been a bit more creative imo. In fact i'm sure our defensive capabilities have gone done overall since he has been away..

Well each to their own. The loss of Alderweireld is huge and is the main catalyst for our defence looking brick.

Our attacking midfielders have been underwhelming to say the least this season, but at least Son and Alli have chipped in with goals.

I really do think Eriksen and Lamela are the two players we quite urgently need to upgrade on if we are to push on and become a top 4 regular.

Well each to their own. The loss of Alderweireld is huge and is the main catalyst for our defence looking bricke.

Our attacking midfielders have been underwhelming to say the least this season, but at least Son and Alli have chipped in with goals.

I really do think Eriksen and Lamela are the two players we quite urgently need to upgrade on if we are to push on and become a top 4 regular.

I would agree that they are both in the last chance saloon somewhat regarding that "next step". My worry is that whoever of the two is more successful over the next year or so might be more of a reflection of our methodology as opposed to their own intrinsic strengths and weaknesses

Well each to their own. The loss of Alderweireld is huge and is the main catalyst for our defence looking bricke.

When was the last time we bought an upgrade of any of our first team? Alderweireld. Its not gonna happen.

I'm not sure we need to specifically upgrade on those two players, but we do desperately need that special player with the X factor which creates and scores goals like every other team in top 4. I suppose that will most likely come at the expense of one of them two being regulars....

When was the last time we bought an upgrade of any of our first team? Alderweireld. Its not gonna happen.

I don't understand how you have arrived at that conclusion - there has been one summer window since we signed Alderweireld, in which we bought what appears to be a starting eleven player, Wanyama. We have also spent just under 50m on Sissoko and Janssen to compete for the first team this window as well as 25m on Son at the back end of last summers window.

We finished 3rd last season don't forget - as far as I'm aware you don't generally need to make wholesale changes to your first eleven when you're off the back of a good season with no players looking to leave and all yet to hit their peak years.

Some of the transfers may not yet have proven their worth but I'm not sure how you can point towards our activity and say we won't be looking to improve our team in the coming windows as that's totally at odds with what we have been doing.

Last edited:
Upgrade on Lamela & Eriksen??

People even think of what a proven upgrade on either or both of those would cost?

Only hope we would have is trying to buy a Deli type purchase, but even that is unlikely as another young/upcoming player will probably not get the play time Dele got.

Both still 24 years old. Plenty of reasons to think that we can "upgrade" by them just getting better at Spurs. Looking to urgently upgrade on two players who were important first team players when we got 3rd last season seems like a great way to fail imo. Looking for that special upgrade purchase repeatedly proves expensive with a rather low hit rate.

We miss Lamela quite a lot for me. Particularly as we're lacking creativity in central/deep midfield and Lamela is one who actually tries to up our passing tempo rather than slow it down. Also key to our pressing in a lot of games and his intensity has been missed in a lot of games.

Son and Alli score more goals, but they play a rather different role in our team.

Back