• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Rose is very lucky he didn't ask that question to Pochettino. If he did, he would have been either punched or made to train with the U-21s. Our non-English players seems to have more confident and ambitions than our English players. Or maybe our English players are more realistic than our non-English players.:D[/QUOTE]

No way would Poch do that. At most, he would have put his arm around Rose and probably say " believe, but take it easy "

Spurs news: Danny Rose reveals Erik Lamela's 'disgust' at his top four aims

Defender was given short shrift by team-mate for failing to aim high enough with his hopes for Tottenham's final league position

By Matt Law
12:00PM GMT 29 Feb 2016

It was over a meal with a Tottenham Hotspur team-mate that Danny Rose was reminded in no uncertain terms that the club should be thinking big this season.

A top-four finish and qualification for the Champions League would normally be cause for euphoric celebration at White Hart Lane. But this season is different. Spurs are finally starting to believe that they have the chance to do something pretty special.

Sunday’s 2-1 victory over Swansea City meant Tottenham are still just two points behind Leicester City heading into vital fixtures against West Ham United on Wednesday night and Arsenal on Saturday.

Come through both games unscathed and it will be impossible for left-back Rose, or anybody else, to ignore the fact that Spurs could win their first top-flight title since 1961.

“Before the Emirates Marketing Project game I was having dinner with Erik Lamela and I was still asking him if he reckoned we can finish top four,” said Rose. “I’ve never seen someone look at me with such disgust. He said ‘My friend, we can win the league’.

“I refuse to believe. I’d like to believe we can, but I don’t want to think that. I realise the position we are in, but I don’t want to get too carried away.”

Rose scored the winning goal against Swansea and hopes it proves to be even more important that the 30-yard volley he netted on his Premier League debut for Spurs against Arsenal in 2010, which helped the club qualify for the Champions League.

“Come the end of the season, I hope me scoring against Swansea can be a pivotal moment for Tottenham,” said Rose. “I will be able to tell you more at the end of the season. I hope it’s a vital goal and we’ll know at the end of the season how vital it was.”

Harry Redknapp’s 2010 Tottenham team included Gareth Bale and Luka Modric, but Rose believes Maurico Pochettino’s side combine star quality with an unbeatable work ethic.

Asked if this is the best Tottenham team he has been part of, Rose said: “I have thought about this a lot. I’m not sure. It’s probably the best togetherness I’ve had and that’s probably more important than actual ability.

“We never give up for one another, we’re willing to run to the end for one another and we’ve shown that today, but I’m not sure whether it’s the best one since I’ve been here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...rik-Lamelas-disgust-at-his-top-four-aims.html

----------------------------------------------------------

Rose is very lucky he didn't ask that question to Pochettino. If he did, he would have been either punched or made to train with the U-21s. Our non-English players seems to have more confident and ambitions than our English players. Or maybe our English players are more realistic than our non-English players.:D

Can't blame Rose too much. He and Walker are the only players remaining from the squad that threw it all away in 2011/12 when we should have won the league.

Too bad Lamela's 24th birthday yesterday went without any mention here. Anyway a belated Happy Birthday to Lamela ! Hope he will be fired up and help us beat Arsenal to make his birthday more memorable !

Lamela's finishing worries me. I really rate him and think he's a quality team player, but he must at least threaten to be able to score 10-12 league goals a season. If he can't do that i can't see him as a long term fixture in the side. Not in the position he occupies.

His finishing technique looks all wrong to me; I rarely have the feeling that he is going to score even when well placed. Doesn't look to have it in his locker. His lack of ability in front of goal is evidenced in as much as when we are chasing a goal its always Erik that is sacrificed for the more proficient Chadli. With Lamela's skill set I want him to be one of the players we look to to win us a game - not the guy who we replace.

He doesn't worry me at all, he excites me when I see his name on the team sheet.

I agree he could do with scoring a few more (10 a season seem reasonable) but his assists are good this year.

I rate him as one of our top three most technically gifted players.

Lamela's finishing worries me. I really rate him and think he's a quality team player, but he must at least threaten to be able to score 10-12 league goals a season. If he can't do that i can't see him as a long term fixture in the side. Not in the position he occupies.

His finishing technique looks all wrong to me; I rarely have the feeling that he is going to score even when well placed. Doesn't look to have it in his locker. His lack of ability in front of goal is evidenced in as much as when we are chasing a goal its always Erik that is sacrificed for the more proficient Chadli. With Lamela's skill set I want him to be one of the players we look to to win us a game - not the guy who we replace.

that's a lot of league goals for a midfielder, that's around what Costa and Giroud have and they are first choice forwards

I can see where you guys are coming from: i rate him and like him too. But i wouldn't call him a midfielder per se; asking for 10 goals from one of the three off the striker is hardly like demanding the same from Dembele or Dier.

He has decent, if unpredictable technique, but this ability he has deserts him in front of goal. He looks devoid of instinct in scoring positions to me, and just doesn't seem like enough of a goal threat. You'd have him in the team over Chadli (probably) at the start of the match, but who would you have on if you were chasing a game? I'm not sure.

EDIT: and if you are the one who gets the chop when the chips are down and the match tight, you can't really call yourself a leading member of the squad unfortunately.

Actually I think the opposite, he has great technique, but lacks confidence. He's always looking to pass it to someone to score rather than try himself. Most of his goals are when he has been the forward and no options.

It is strange that we signed Lamela for the purpose of using him as an attacking threat and yet this season where he's stepped up is with defensive qualities. I'm sure there must still be a finisher in there somewhere. Seire A isn't what it once was but you don't score 1 goal every 2 games in that league if you can't finish. And then there's the robanna as well.

Hopefully he'll regain form I'd say he has more of a chance of scoring 20 goals for us and this moment in time than Soldado ever did.

Would have left him on regardless. The intensity of the team completely dropped as soon as he went off. Would ten men have been that different?

Being as he was providing the intensity, 10 men, without him, we would have lost..imo
He would have gone, no doubt. He could have gone minutes before he was subbed.

Would have left him on regardless. The intensity of the team completely dropped as soon as he went off. Would ten men have been that different?

This. We ended looking like we had ten anyway. Although having said that, Poch couldn't foresee that we'd continue the dip all the way through to the end of the game, so maybe he thought keeping us at eleven versus ten would be better.

For what?

A petulant grabbing of Sanchez before Sanchez got booked. Would have been harsh but could have happened. He also lunged in on someone near the touchline, can't remember the player but he wasn't in full control and I'm sure he would have had another mistimed tackle before the end.

Sanchez walked in front of him trying to waste time and rile Lamella up. Lamella turns the tables on him and could actually have got Sanchez sent off. the ball was out of play so the VERY SLIGHT tug was never going to be a card.
Maybe it playing in South America or Italy but Lamella is actually our most intelligent player when it comes to this aspect of the game. We are not the same team without him.

Back