• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Lamella is mentioned in almost every article about the new Spurs and how much he's improved. But they do seemed to by pass him and put all the attention and credit on to Poch. Not saying Poch doesn't deserve massive credit but surely so does lamella for be willing to tough it out and be prepared to put the work in. IMO that's how he's managed to fly under the radar so much.
Poch is certainly doing a great job by absorbing a lot of the pressure and attention from the players.

Deserves huge amounts of credit for the work he's put in.

First season was a complete mess for him. The rejection from AVB, the injury. Seeing two head coaches go in his first year at the club and then getting a lot of the blame for our failed transfer strategy post-Bale. Got quite a lot of stick from the fans and a lot less patience than he deserved.

Never stopped working hard though from what I could see. And always managed to get his head up and try to play football. Showed a really strong character even back then...

A lot of fans I met at the games kept throwing up his transfer fee and using that to say he was crap, they did not take in account that he was a young kid in a different country, different language and also suffered a injury during his first season.

It was not Lamela's fault that the fee was so high but some fans could not see past that, I wonder if they still have the same opinion now?

Deserves huge amounts of credit for the work he's put in.

First season was a complete mess for him. The rejection from AVB, the injury. Seeing two head coaches go in his first year at the club and then getting a lot of the blame for our failed transfer strategy post-Bale. Got quite a lot of stick from the fans and a lot less patience than he deserved.

Never stopped working hard though from what I could see. And always managed to get his head up and try to play football. Showed a really strong character even back then...

Couldn't agree more. He's not always brilliant, but he's a massive fighter with an incredible engine. I always hate when national pundits call him "soft," "weak," or "lightweight." I've seen him make plenty of mistakes, but I've never seen him look scared or back down in the last two years. He always shows passion and runs himself into the ground for the cause. Love the guy.

His reaction to Eriksen's goal sums him up to me.

I always think of this quote from his first season at the club, when everything was going awful for him. It took a lot of balls to say, and he easily could have gone back to Italy or France, but he stuck with it and has made the difference in some big games for us.

“My moment will come and I will make the difference,” Lamela said. “You always train thinking that you’re going to play. Sooner or later, my moment will arrive and I have to be ready. That is the way I am looking at it.

Tottenham’s Erik Lamela is the Premier League’s dirtiest player of the season so far
Erik Lamela may have endured a difficult first two years atTottenham, but the Argentine is slowly, yet surely, beginning to show this season just why Spurs splashed out £25.7million to recruit him from Roma in 2013.

Lamela has shown a marked improvement in form under Mauricio Pochettino this term, and has scored eight goals in all competitions for the north London side - who currently sit in second place in the Premier League table - including his first career hat-trick in Spurs' 4-1 Europa League group-stage victory over Monaco in December.

However, goals and assists have not been the only aspect of Lamela's game that he has seemingly demonstrated during matches this season.

Statistics provided by fantasy football game Oulala show that the 23-year-old has committed the highest number of fouls in the top flight this term (47 in 23 games) - nine more than Chelsea striker Diego Costa (38 in 22 games), who has garnered a reputation for making the most of his aggressive style of play for the champions.

However, Costa doesn't make the top 10 in the list of most fouls committed by Premier League players so far this season.

Infographic---Top-10-fouls.jpg

Aston Villa's Idrissa Gueye comes in at second place, two fouls behind Lamela, while the latter's teammate at Spurs Eric Dier, another player to have flourished this season, comes in at ninth place with 40 fouls in 25 games.

Fellow Tottenham star Dele Alli is in 12th position with 37 fouls in 24 games.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...est-player-of-the-season-so-far-a3184926.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

Who need Wanyama when we got Lamela ? Lamela has been playing more like a defensive midfielder this season. Even though the above stats say he has committed more fouls than anyone else in the PL, almost all his fouls have been to stop the other teams from attacking us. Compared this to the likes of Alli who seems fond of committing fouls just to get revenge on his opponents. Pochettino should realise this and make Lamela a first choice in our first eleven.

Who need Wanyama when we got Lamela ? Lamela has been playing more like a defensive midfielder this season. Even though the above stats say he has committed more fouls than anyone else in the PL, almost all his fouls have been to stop the other teams from attacking us. Compared this to the likes of Alli who seems fond of committing fouls just to get revenge on his opponents. Pochettino should realise this and make Lamela a first choice in our first eleven.

Looking at whoscored.com and looking at the European leagues they track Lamela's foul numbers do not particularly stand out. 2 fouls per game puts him 56th of the European players overall with plenty of attacking and forward players ahead of him in that stat.

More a style of play thing than a position on the pitch thing. As illustrated by Alli also being in that top 12 for the PL.

I think Pochettino realized just fine what Lamela brings to the team.

Who need Wanyama when we got Lamela ? Lamela has been playing more like a defensive midfielder this seaso.

He really hasn't.

Compared this to the likes of Alli who seems fond of committing fouls just to get revenge on his opponents.

He really doesn't. It also wasn't that long ago that people were questioning Lamela's temperament.

Pochettino should realise this and make Lamela a first choice in our first eleven.

He has and he is.

Is it a prerequisite of being a staff member, that you have to come across as being exceptionally arrogant?

It's not a prerequisite but it certainly helps.

To be honest, I found myself getting irritated by a post where pretty much every point made was totally wrong and I allowed that irritation to spill over into my response.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice he played LW for a good part last night, and stayed wide a lot more

Work rate as usual was insane ...

Did anyone notice he played LW for a good part last night, and stayed wide a lot more

Work rate as usual was insane ...

Yeah. Lamela was left and Eriksen right for large portions of last night. Poch has done that a few times this season. I assume that he does it to exploit a specific weakness in the fullbacks that we have identified.

Back