• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

I think AVB is handling this well. It would have been disheartening for Townsend to see us sign Eriksen, Lamela and the Chad. But AVB still having faith in him should give him the drive to take his game up a notch.

Tottenham Boss Claims Erik Lamela Will Struggle To Displace Andros Townsend
by Steven Green October 5th, 2013

AVB gives backing to young winger.

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has warned new signing Erik Lamela that he faces a tough battle to stay in the starting line up ahead of Andros Townsend and stay in the squad, talkSPORT reports.

The Argentinian was a club-record summer signing from Roma but has yet to start a Premier League game for Spurs. However, Andros Townsend’s fine form has kept him in contention for regular starting roles, whilst Belgian Nacer Chadli was chosen to replace him during the 1-1 draw with Chelsea last weekend.

He did start during the side’s 2-0 victory over Anzhi Makhachkala on Thursday, but he did not live up to the standards expected of him, though tricky playing conditions can’t have helped his cause much.

And Villas-Boas has insisted that although he is pleased with what he’s seen of Lamela’s brief appearances, which did yield an assist as he created Paulinho’s winner against Cardiff City, the winger must produce something special to oust Townsend.

“I am extremely happy with what Erik has been doing,” revealed the Portuguese manager. “It was difficult for him because he is a player that likes to be creative, involved in short combinations and he couldn’t come into the game as much as we wanted.

“They were difficult conditions [in Russia}. The pitch was awful and it was difficult for technical players to make a difference.

“We still tried to play the ball but you saw many times we lost it.

“But up until now I’m extremely happy with what he’s been doing. He just faces tough competition from Andros Townsend, who has also been doing very well, for that position.”

------------------------------------

So, it looks live AVB prefers Townsend over Lamela now. But wish AVB will start Lamela in 1 or 2 games just to see how to peforms in the league. I think Townsend will be a better player if he stops his "shoot-at-first-sight-of-goal" policy and try to create chances for others instead. Maybe Townsend wants to impress AVB by trying to score goals all the time but he should understand he is not Bale. I am convinced if Townsend had been in the position where Lamela was against Cardiff, he would have tried to score from that difficult angle instead of passing to Paulinho.

You must have missed the game against Chelsea

Bit worried he is of course still young this was his review of last night

Erik Lamela

After receiving a few rough challenges in the first half, he retreated completely into his shell, and rarely contributed anything dynamic for his team in attack thereafter.

He has for the most part, been pretty disappointing in the time I have watched him thus far but I think he will take a fair amount of time to get used to the pace and power of this league. You can see that he has a lovely touch and once up to speed he does look like a player that will contribute a lot but at the moment it seems to be a struggle for him, which is understandable.

lamelaeqlkt.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/erik-lamela-admits-struggling-to-adapt-following-30m-transfer-to-tottenham-8884064.html

someone really needs to tell the kid that he wasnt bought to make an impact this season. i think one of the acolytes should do that.

you potentially signed away your world cup slot when you came to tottenham under the banner of a project. be patient, your chance may or may not come this year

One step at a time. We have four weeks now until the next break. 4 League games, 3 Cup games. Think Lamela should start in at least all the Cup games, we should start to get a picture of his ability then.
Until then Townsend starts ahead of him for me, saying that, Lennon will come into the equation too very soon. Selection headaches...great thing to have

Really hope he starts on Sunday. Him on one wing, Townsend on the other, Eriksen in the middle. Sorted.

why? he has done nothing to validate a starting spot thus far even he said he is having trouble adapting to the league. I think AVB has handled it well play him in the cups hopefully he can find some form, we can all see the talent but would be silly to start him over Siggy or Townsend now who are in great form.

siggy on left for me

Even if Naughton starts at left back?

I really think we need a left footed left back to provide width when Siggy starts on the left. Starting Townsend on the left if Rose is still out and Naughton is preferred at left back makes all kinds of sense to me.

why? he has done nothing to validate a starting spot thus far even he said he is having trouble adapting to the league. I think AVB has handled it well play him in the cups hopefully he can find some form, we can all see the talent but would be silly to start him over Siggy or Townsend now who are in great form.

Nothing? That's a bit harsh. How about his assist against Cardiff?

Patience, lads. I think he'll continue to be eased in gently. Remember a lot of the same talk surrounding our #1 last season, and he is currently the first name on the team sheet.

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 12.48.44 PM.jpg

Even if Naughton starts at left back?

I really think we need a left footed left back to provide width when Siggy starts on the left. Starting Townsend on the left if Rose is still out and Naughton is preferred at left back makes all kinds of sense to me.

Nothing? That's a bit harsh. How about his assist against Cardiff?

It was a good ball but nothing that any other winger wouldn't do a simple low ball across the 6 yard box. Even in the cup games he has started he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. I still think he will prove a quality signing but not until he gets settled.

Back