• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Erik Lamela is the new Lionel Messi, says Spurs legend Ossie Ardiles

Tottenham legend Ossie Ardiles says Erik Lamela is the new Lionel Messi and is already a better player than the departed Gareth Bale.

Lamela was brought to White Hart Lane for a club-record free over the summer, with Andre Villas-Boas earmarking the Argentine as a star of the future.

But according to compatriot Ardiles, Lamela can be as good as Barcelona superstar Messi, and is already a better option for Spurs than Bale.

‘Lamela needs a little more time to bed into Tottenham but he will prove to be a great purchase,’ explained Ardiles.

‘He is not as powerful but he is more skilled than Bale.

‘He has been nicknamed the ‘new Messi’ and that’s right – it’s a sign of how talented he is.’

Lamela was part of a mass spending spree conducted by Tottenham in the transfer window, with £100million being spent on new talent.

And for Ardiles, Spurs’ business will stand them in good stead for the future, despite the departure of Bale to Real Madrid.

‘We need players who can create but also finish over the summer,’ he added.

‘Spurs did that and we had a fantastic transfer window with players for the future.’

----------------------------------------

Ardiles seems to be the only one talking highly about Lamela now. With Lamela still struggling to impress at Spurs, it seems not logic to compare him with Messi now. Obviously he needs more time to show his real worth. But his 30m price tag will always be a big burden to him. If he had cost 15m or less, we probably would show more patience to him. Now it feels like he is the right player at the wrong time for us. We probably should have waited 2 or 3 years to buy him when he would have been more experienced and matured.

Ardiles seems to be the only one talking highly about Lamela now. With Lamela still struggling to impress at Spurs, it seems not logic to compare him with Messi now. Obviously he needs more time to show his real worth. But his 30m price tag will always be a big burden to him. If he had cost 15m or less, we probably would show more patience to him. Now it feels like he is the right player at the wrong time for us. We probably should have waited 2 or 3 years to buy him when he would have been more experienced and matured.

I disagree with almost all of your conclusions.

Ardiles is talking about his ability, not what he's done so far at Spurs. I'd venture to say that Artiles knows a thing or two about how good Lamela is, for him to talk about how good Lamela is makes perfect sense to me. Lamela is not some random kid we signed from a youth academy somewhere.

I think you're right that not a lot of the media are talking about Lamela right now. To me at least that highlights that it's probably been a good move for AVB to introduce Lamela more slowly, assuming that AVB thought he would need time to adapt. Instead of throwing him in at the deep end and have the pressure build he's allowed that pressure to diminish. This says nothing about Lamela's ability, just that he needs time to adapt.

Who are you talking about that should be more patient? Who are being less patient than yourself?

Your last sentence? Really? At this point you're going to say that we shouldn't have signed him? After no PL starts and just over a month since his transfer finalized. Might I suggest you take your own advice and show more patience.

Andros has deserved his place and Lamela needs time to adapt, surely it's as simple as that?

Ardiles is talking about his ability, not what he's done so far at Spurs. I'd venture to say that Artiles knows a thing or two about how good Lamela is, for him to talk about how good Lamela is makes perfect sense to me. Lamela is not some random kid we signed from a youth academy somewhere.

I think you're right that not a lot of the media are talking about Lamela right now. To me at least that highlights that it's probably been a good move for AVB to introduce Lamela more slowly, assuming that AVB thought he would need time to adapt. Instead of throwing him in at the deep end and have the pressure build he's allowed that pressure to diminish. This says nothing about Lamela's ability, just that he needs time to adapt.

Who are you talking about that should be more patient? Who are being less patient than yourself?

Your last sentence? Really? At this point you're going to say that we shouldn't have signed him? After no PL starts and just over a month since his transfer finalized. Might I suggest you take your own advice and show more patience.

+1

Andros has deserved his place and Lamela needs time to adapt, surely it's as simple as that?

Lamela is the better player, a home game against a perceived weaker opponent is probably a good game to give him his full PL debut in. Surely it's as simple as that? ;)

Good post. Spurs7891 is informing us that we show more patience whilst also telling us we shouldn't have signed him now :lol:

Lamela is the better player, a home game against a perceived weaker opponent is probably a good game to give him his full PL debut in. Surely it's as simple as that? ;)

He may be or may end up being (I've not seen enough to form an opinion) the better player but does Andros deserve dropping? If anything - being a Spurs fan he'll be very much fired up to play against WH. He's also got England in mind so the desire will be right up there. In addition, Lamela has just played a game on Thursday so perhaps coming off the bench.

I honestly do not think we are in a desperate rush to prove why we spent so much on him - our squad depth allows us to do what is right for the team.

I honestly do not think we are in a desperate rush to prove why we spent so much on him - our squad depth allows us to do what is right for the team.

great point, i think we as fans are sometimes too impatient when it comes to new signings - last season with Lloris was a similar story i guess and that worked out reasonably well in the end id say.

i think so far, with the little evidence available, our management have shown they know how to integrate new players in to the fold - have no doubt that we will be doing whats best for both Lamela and THFC in this instance

He may be or may end up being (I've not seen enough to form an opinion) the better player but does Andros deserve dropping? If anything - being a Spurs fan he'll be very much fired up to play against WH. He's also got England in mind so the desire will be right up there. In addition, Lamela has just played a game on Thursday so perhaps coming off the bench.

We have more than 11 players that doesn't deserve "being dropped".

I was just trying to make a point that it can go either way and that there are good reasons for either one to start. I would prefer to see Lamela personally, but I won't be disappointed at all to see Townsend start. To be honest I would like to see Townsend on the left, Lamela on the right at some point. But then again, Sig doesn't deserve being dropped...

Great predicament to be in isn't it? I remember a time we were called a one man team :D

Great predicament to be in isn't it? I remember a time we were called a one man team :D

I have no memory of this time you talk of...

Was it when we had Berbatov up front? I suppose we were a bit one-man-team-y back then, although Keane and King? Nah... I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

No no, i was talking about how he's so unpredictable, it's like he's absurd. And he knows it himself... :-"

:lol:

I guess that's why you are called Braineclipse. Sometimes the fingers take over from the brain when typing. :)

I like the concept of self-absurdness. Anyone remember Paolo Wanchope? One of the pundits - it might even have been the Twunt - said he is so unpredictable because even he does not know what he is going to do.

Agree with everything braineclipse said. To add as well, waiting for 1 to 2 years wasn't an option. If Lamela had continued to progress as his talent suggested he might, he would already have been out of our reach by then.

Give him time to bed in, better players than him have taken a long long time to fit into the new country and club.

Not sure if I am being impatient with Lamela. More like worried other people and the media might become impatient with him. Afterall, this is the club where the fans boo their own players when they don't perform. Remember Ghaly, Vega, Armstrong etc ? Lamela's price tag is always an disadvantage to him. I think as long as we get good results, players like Lamela and Soldado are safe from the boo boys and the anti-Spurs media. But if and when we start to struggle you know all kinds of criticism will fly against Lamela. Badly want Lamela to succeed at Spurs because 1.he is an Argentine and 2.he is the replacement for Bale.

Do Spurs fans really care that much about West Ham? It's a London derby but it's far, far behind Scum and Chelsea derbies.

I agree with Braineclipse, tomorrow would be a good opportunity to give Lamela his first start, throwing him in last Saturday might have been a bit much, but I can't believe he didn't even come off the bench.

No goals and no assits from Townsend is not exactly dynamic stuff.

Lamela in 1/10th of the time already has a crucial match winning assists and a good one at that.

Foolhardy for Townsend to keep our record signing out of the team, for much longer.

Tottenham Boss Claims Erik Lamela Will Struggle To Displace Andros Townsend
by Steven Green October 5th, 2013

AVB gives backing to young winger.

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has warned new signing Erik Lamela that he faces a tough battle to stay in the starting line up ahead of Andros Townsend and stay in the squad, talkSPORT reports.

The Argentinian was a club-record summer signing from Roma but has yet to start a Premier League game for Spurs. However, Andros Townsend’s fine form has kept him in contention for regular starting roles, whilst Belgian Nacer Chadli was chosen to replace him during the 1-1 draw with Chelsea last weekend.

He did start during the side’s 2-0 victory over Anzhi Makhachkala on Thursday, but he did not live up to the standards expected of him, though tricky playing conditions can’t have helped his cause much.

And Villas-Boas has insisted that although he is pleased with what he’s seen of Lamela’s brief appearances, which did yield an assist as he created Paulinho’s winner against Cardiff City, the winger must produce something special to oust Townsend.

“I am extremely happy with what Erik has been doing,” revealed the Portuguese manager. “It was difficult for him because he is a player that likes to be creative, involved in short combinations and he couldn’t come into the game as much as we wanted.

“They were difficult conditions [in Russia}. The pitch was awful and it was difficult for technical players to make a difference.

“We still tried to play the ball but you saw many times we lost it.

“But up until now I’m extremely happy with what he’s been doing. He just faces tough competition from Andros Townsend, who has also been doing very well, for that position.”

------------------------------------

So, it looks live AVB prefers Townsend over Lamela now. But wish AVB will start Lamela in 1 or 2 games just to see how to peforms in the league. I think Townsend will be a better player if he stops his "shoot-at-first-sight-of-goal" policy and try to create chances for others instead. Maybe Townsend wants to impress AVB by trying to score goals all the time but he should understand he is not Bale. I am convinced if Townsend had been in the position where Lamela was against Cardiff, he would have tried to score from that difficult angle instead of passing to Paulinho.

Last edited:
Back