• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

The key for Lamella will be doing it against poor sides that sit deep and don't attack

That's when we need him to be at his best and deliver because there really games we struggle with

I agree with this.

I think when teams sit deep and play counter is when he and Eriksen need to deliver. Those two are our most creative players in my opinion...yesterdays switch by Pochettino was important...moving Eriksen & Son around made sense defensively and brought more out of Lamela's game.

So in such games effective use of Eriksen and Lamela in the same starting 11 should allow us to blow up any parked buses.

Told you Lamela will come good ! Lamela is getting better and better this season ! He had a man-of-the-match performance against ManCity and it is hardly surprising. The fact is, he was doing well even last season, scoring 5 goals and getting 8 assists. But his good performance was being overshadowed by his many mistakes. This season, he has looked more confident with the ball and has cut down on his mistakes.

You only have to look at his solo goal against Mancity. It was world class the way he confidently dribbled past the defender and rounded the goalie to score. The goalie was scrambling down to stop Lamela but he somehow managed to evade him. I think most players would have dived to win a penalty instead of rounding the goalie at that situation. It only shows how much confidence Lamela has in his ability now. As said before, Lamela will become a key player for us if he can keep up this performance consistently.

Was it Demechilis who he dropped on his ar5e to score? Instinctively the defender stuck his hand out to stop it. Could have been a penalty and red (which he should have got sooner anyway!)

Frankly, thought it was a half-hearted challenge from Demechelis to stop Lamela. Atleast the goalie Caballero was trying hard to stop him but Demechellis strangely fell down and didn't try to get up. Felt Demichellis could have stopped Lamela if he really wanted to as Lamela was dribbling too long. Maybe the fact all 3 were Argentinians had a part ? After all Demechellis is a 34 year old veteran while Lamela is a up-and-coming 23 year old who badly need a goal. So maybe Demechellis thought it was his duty to help a fellow Argentinian with the game already lost ! Who knows, it could be the moment that boosts Lamela's career to go on to become the "new Messi" and Demichellis wanted to be a part of that !

Just imagine, 5 Argentinian players started this game : Caballero, Demichellis, Otamendi, Aguero for ManCity and Lamela for us. Lamela was the youngest but he came out top as the best of them all ! Pochettino must have been proud of his fellow Argentinian !:D

Last edited:
He did the tango (it is an Argentine dance isn't it?) with his compatriots. Eric the leader and the City players the followers. I think there's some potential for a Vine there haha (with music obviously).

Frankly, thought it was a half-hearted challenge from Demechelis to stop Lamela. Atleast the goalie Caballero was trying hard to stop him but Demechellis strangely fell down and didn't try to get up. Felt Demichellis could have stopped Lamela if he really wanted to as Lamela was dribbling too long. Maybe the fact all 3 were Argentinians had a part ? After all Demechellis is a 34 year old veteran while Lamela is a up-and-coming 23 year old who badly need a goal. So maybe Demechellis thought it was his duty to help a fellow Argentinian with the game already lost ! Who knows, it could be the moment that boosts Lamela's career to go on to become the "new Messi" and Demichellis wanted to be a part of that !

Just imagine, 5 Argentinian players started this game : Caballero, Demichellis, Otamendi, Aguero for ManCity and Lamela for us. Lamela was the youngest but he came out top as the best of them all ! Pochettino must have been proud of his fellow Argentinian !:D

Haha, far too romantic for modern footie mate! :D

Game had the potential to have a lot of Argentine and Belgian interest.

Haha, far too romantic for modern footie mate! :D

Game had the potential to have a lot of Argentine and Belgian interest.

Just imagine, we had 4 English, 1 Argentine while ManCity had 4 Argentines, 1 English in the starting 11 ! I think Lamela and Pochettino would have been mad if someone had called this result as England 4 Argentina 1 ! Being a Argentina fan, I would have hated that too !;)

Really happy for Lamela. It was a very emotional and strange moment when Lamela scored that goal. It seemed as if he was taking forever to score and had wasted the chance. But it looked as if the entire stadium including all the fans and players freezed for him ! It was very funny looking at the the Spurs' fans reaction behind the goal. Everyone just freezed totally when Lamela got the ball. There was totally no movement among those fans until Lamela put the ball into the goal ! Credit to Lamela for being so composed and confident to score that goal.

I thought it was by far and away his best game yet, but I'm far from convinced. His performance was largely based on running, pressing and scrapping. Once again, he looked awkward in possession. He will never be a pretty player, the type he was hyped up to be. He looks more a grafter to me, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Michael Owen impressed with Erik Lamela

Michael Owen was impressed with Erik Lamela’s performance for Tottenham Hotspur against Emirates Marketing Project in the Premier League on Saturday.

Former Saudi Sportswashing Machine striker Michael Owen has been singing the praises of Tottenham Hotspur winger Erik Lamela on BT Sport 1.

Owen was commentating on the Premier League game between Tottenham and Emirates Marketing Project at White Hart Lane on Saturday afternoon for BT Sport 1.

The former Manchester United striker was impressed with the performance of Lamela and awarded him the ‘Man of the Match’ award.

Explaining his decision, Owen said on BT Sport 1 towards the end of the game: “I think he had a good game, capped it off with a goal.

“His work rate has been brilliant. It could kickstart his career here. Everyone knows that he has a lot of ability, but he hasn’t show it so far.”

Lamela has been frustratingly inconsistent for Tottenham since his move to the North London outfit from AS Roma in the summer of 2013.

However, on Saturday against City, the Argentina international attacker was absolutely superb and was arguably the best Spurs player.

During the 86 minute he was on the pitch, the 23-year-old took four shots, had a pass accuracy of 76%, created two chances, put in four crosses, attempted three dribbles, and made one interception.

Perhaps the impressive performance against City could kickstart Lamela’s Premier League career, as Owen suggests...

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/27/michael-owen-impressed-with-erik-lamela/page/1/

------------------------------------------

Nice to see Lamela getting due credit from all the pundits.

Last edited:
You can tell he is a very intelligent footballer. He always releases the forward pass at exactly the right time,makes sure he draws the defender in then release....

I thought it was by far and away his best game yet, but I'm far from convinced. His performance was largely based on running, pressing and scrapping. Once again, he looked awkward in possession. He will never be a pretty player, the type he was hyped up to be. He looks more a grafter to me, not that there is anything wrong with that.
I suggest you look at that five minute clip above of all his touches, looks like he did plenty on the ball to me....

The most important thing for lamela yesterday was not anything he done......it was the standing ovation and the big cuddle from poch when he came off.

Regardless of how messed your head is and confidence fragile, those two things blow so much sh#t away that all of a sudden you're well and truly up and running. He'll be gagging for Thursday.

You can tell he is a very intelligent footballer. He always releases the forward pass at exactly the right time,makes sure he draws the defender in then release....

Whoa hold on... He has been shocking at that plenty of times so always is a very strong word

What he did yesterday was top notch but he has had far more games IMO that were woeful. But showing what he can do was the right thing and what we need going forward is more of that which I hope we get

One thing that was different yesterday was he received a lot of ball in front of him and he controlled and dealt with them comfortably. He does seem to struggle with passes that are actually at him though

Whoa hold on... He has been shocking at that plenty of times so always is a very strong word

What he did yesterday was top notch but he has had far more games IMO that were woeful. But showing what he can do was the right thing and what we need going forward is more of that which I hope we get

One thing that was different yesterday was he received a lot of ball in front of him and he controlled and dealt with them comfortably. He does seem to struggle with passes that are actually at him though
Oh well, we will have to disagree on this then mate. This isn't based on yesterday's performance, I think he's an intelligent footballer whose end product hasn't always come off but looks like that could be in the process of changing...

Great performance from him. Agree that it was probably his best league game in a Spurs shirt. So much work defensively and so many telling involvements going forward.

Just has to keep going now...

Oh well, we will have to disagree on this then mate. This isn't based on yesterday's performance, I think he's an intelligent footballer whose end product hasn't always come off but looks like that could be in the process of changing...

I think he is showing the potential that he showed at Roma... But is been two games of him performing at a high standard

Last season for me he spent so many times passing the ball to the opposition or simply losing it in his runs

Yesterday he exploited space well and most of his passes came off. He did 90% of everything to a high standard and was deservedly MOTM

But as I said earlier he needs to do that (along with others) against the sides that don't open up and attack. If he can then he will start to justify the fee and become the player that we clearly thought he was.

I was a big advocate of signing him but he has generally been average to poor for me but like I say yesterday was an exemplary performance and one that got a lot us thinking what he could do now

I think he is showing the potential that he showed at Roma... But is been two games of him performing at a high standard

Last season for me he spent so many times passing the ball to the opposition or simply losing it in his runs

Yesterday he exploited space well and most of his passes came off. He did 90% of everything to a high standard and was deservedly MOTM

But as I said earlier he needs to do that (along with others) against the sides that don't open up and attack. If he can then he will start to justify the fee and become the player that we clearly thought he was.

I was a big advocate of signing him but he has generally been average to poor for me but like I say yesterday was an exemplary performance and one that got a lot us thinking what he could do now

Signs were there lat season that he was improving a lot in many of the areas people have been complaining about.

It's not him performing at a high standard out of nowhere. It's been a gradual improvement, along with not actually being as bad as some have claimed, but perhaps hampered by a lack of confidence that I think is fairly understandable.

I still believe that often when he "loses it in his runs" or passes the ball to the opposition it's partly about him trying very hard to make stuff happen. When he won the free kick against Demichelis yesterday he could have been tackled fairly had Demichelis been a bit quicker, and it would have been one of those where people would have complained about him not getting rid of it earlier. But there weren't many good passing options and he's not going to pick a simple pass just to get rid of it. He will keep looking for the decisive passes. Remember when people were complaining about him getting dispossessed in our own half after winning the ball? Well, now we're seeing the value of a player being able and willing to accept some risk and find the decisive passes in those situations to set up counter attacks rather slow it down with a simple pass backwards or square. A lot of small margins with Lamela, and he still needs to improve his decision making, but he's been improving all along.

The risk taking is a big thing and I'll back any player willing to do the right thing when it comes to taking risks

Something Danny Highinbotham was on about on the radio the other day was that younger players over here now seem to have the risk element coached out of them and it's creating identikit limited footballers

Lamella is showing that he isn't limited and as I say he needs to step up against the defensive sides

Yesterday we were Helped by city's lack of effort and tinkle poor defenders. But you still have to exploit them like we did. The poorer teams are generally IMO better organised defensively and that's where we need moments of brilliance

Back