• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

That would leave us quite imbalanced. Two big name lone forwards after one spot, and Townsend as our only proper RWF

I'm having visions of a 4-4-2 with a front 4 of Kane, Llorente, Dembele and Chadli - the slowest least-dynamic frontline in history!
I really wanted Lamela to succeed, but right now I'd be more than happy to put Njie on the right rather than Lamela. Sadly I don't see how we could get less dynamic if we put a statue on in his place. At least a statue wouldn't give away two free-kicks in dangerous positions before even touching the ball. Few things rob a team of dynamism more that gifting possession to the opposition via a set-piece in your own final third.

All I can think is that if Lamela is getting into the Spurs match day squad instead of Yedlin then Yedlin must be really, really, really, REALLY sh!te!

That would leave us quite imbalanced. Two big name lone forwards after one spot, and Townsend as our only proper RWF

I'm having visions of a 4-4-2 with a front 4 of Kane, Llorente, Dembele and Chadli - the slowest least-dynamic frontline in history!
So we would be left with one average RWF instead of 1 average and 1 awful RWF.

First of, lamella was bad on Saturday, but the fault shouldn't be lumped all on him. The momentum had gone before he came on. Our midfield had all but disappeared. Can't help but feel some of our players got the pipe and slippers out after Harry had that great chance saved. Looked like they felt job was done and we would score a couple more.

Second, he was brought on as a WF but all the problems were really created in the centre by Ireland. So even if he was played in the middle are we really expecting a young lad still learning way in this league to change the flow of a game going away from us against a veteran of this league who is also pretty useful player to boot.

He was bad, but let's not go over the top.

Not all his fault but Lamela has now played 38 games for us in the last 2 years i think that he has enough time to learn the league, style of play and the club.

For all the criticism of a lack of game craft and game management in the english game if Lamela wasnt from Argentina and hadn't been purchased for the money he was then patience would have run out some time ago. He is ill disciplined going back and wasteful going forward.

This isnt about how much he cost its about if he deserves a place on the bench or the team in the first place.

Modric, Bale, Erikksen all had to earn their way to play centrally / number 10, dont understand any logic that he has been woeful elsewhere so should be given a chance in that position.

Reactions: DTA
Not all his fault but Lamela has now played 38 games for us in the last 2 years i think that he has enough time to learn the league, style of play and the club.

For all the criticism of a lack of game craft and game management in the english game if Lamela wasnt from Argentina and hadn't been purchased for the money he was then patience would have run out some time ago. He is ill disciplined going back and wasteful going forward.

This isnt about how much he cost its about if he deserves a place on the bench or the team in the first place.

Modric, Bale, Erikksen all had to earn their way to play centrally / number 10, dont understand any logic that he has been woeful elsewhere so should be given a chance in that position.
It's difficult to defend lamella he's been so poor. But why does he have earn the no 10 role? If that's his best position then would we not be cutting our nose off? That's a general question by the way, not just for him.
To be honest I don't see that anyone in our midfield has done enough consistently to have nailed down a position and made it their own. Not criticising as they are all young and still learning and growing, but in my view quite a lot of the times the middle just seems to not perform to its abilities.

It's difficult to defend lamella he's been so poor. But why does he have earn the no 10 role? If that's his best position then would we not be cutting our nose off? That's a general question by the way, not just for him.
To be honest I don't see that anyone in our midfield has done enough consistently to have nailed down a position and made it their own. Not criticising as they are all young and still learning and growing, but in my view quite a lot of the times the middle just seems to not perform to its abilities.
If he's not good enough to play the (easier) wide attacking midfield role, then he is certainly not good enough to play as the number 10.

Because as the number 10 is the creator and player that most attacking play is going to go through, you need to see some kind of ability and awareness to warrant a player to be given that role. Its the position most players want in modern game, so to give the player that role above his peers then there needs to be a reason. Therefore you have to show your peers you warrant that position.

In terms of us
Dembele has shown that if you play the ball into him he is strong and doesnt lose the ball - Possibly promotion
Kane has shown vision when he has dropped back into that position creating erikksen's chance v utd and Davies ball for sats goal
Erikksen started on the left and has been our most creative player
Chadli has offered a constant goal threat and has proved to be a calm finisher

Pritchard, Carroll have been playing in a wider role and havent been around the club long enough to push those 4

Lamela has played 38 games and scored 2 goals, less goals than the allegedly "wasteful" lennon in every season he has played for us bar 1 in similar number of games.

The simple truth is that we seem to have reached the point where it is impossible to defend Lamela. We are now into his third season and he has yet to have a good 90 minutes.

Any GG posters wanting to continue to give him tme are doing so on blind faith (nothing wrong with that - or maybe they saw him do good things for Roma). At this point the only decision one can reach based on his time in a Spurs shirt is to cut our losses. Its a sad one as everyone had high hopes when he signed, but we just can't afford to carry passangers; even with youngsters three seasons HAS to be enough to show at least a modicum of improvement.

Because as the number 10 is the creator and player that most attacking play is going to go through, you need to see some kind of ability and awareness to warrant a player to be given that role. Its the position most players want in modern game, so to give the player that role above his peers then there needs to be a reason. Therefore you have to show your peers you warrant that position.

In terms of us
Dembele has shown that if you play the ball into him he is strong and doesnt lose the ball - Possibly promotion
Kane has shown vision when he has dropped back into that position creating erikksen's chance v utd and Davies ball for sats goal

Pritchard, Carroll have been playing in a wider role and havent been around the club long enough to push those 4

Lamela has played 38 games and scored 2 goals, less goals than the allegedly "wasteful" lennon in every season he has played for us bar 1 in similar number of games.

I don't really include Harry as a mid and only a real stickler could aim anything negative at him.
I just look at that midfield line up then think we should be better more often than we are. The first half of the last two games we've been excellent and hopefully as they progress they will be able to maintain that level, but for me a lot of the time we underachieve in games. Please note the in games, over a season we seem to end where we belong.

It is interesting that generally, Lamela is at his worst when he comes on as a sub - seems to struggle to get into a game.

Couldn't the club sign up David Ginola and coach Lamela how to trap the ball,dribble beat a man and shoot.

For a £30 million pound asset we're quite happy just to let him do what he wants. I don't think Poch has a clue what to do with him or what Lamela wants off Poch .........two years and we're all waiting.

It is interesting that generally, Lamela is at his worst when he comes on as a sub - seems to struggle to get into a game.

I think this is true.

After the fragmented/injury hit first season, it looked like they had hit the reset button, got lamela super fit and frothing for the second season, with Poch ready to show faith and give the lad plenty of starts from the off.

Well Lamela tried hard and there were flashes of good stuff but there never appears to be any consistency. Looking at the type of player he is meant to be i never expected him to try hard, i expected trickery, technical ability, and sublime vision.

On the face of it for someone that cost so much he looks far too raw. Whether he needs direction and coaching im not quite sure BUT the fear now is Poch may well think he has had his chance and with Njie and probably berahino about to arrive the current situation of not getting starts and the odd sub appearence is only going to get worse and literally is akin to giving up on him which is not unreasonable from a fan or manager perspective. The problem is the fee invested and moving him on.

I have said it before and I still feel the same, imo the M/F is our weakest area and as you say they are young but there is no bite in there and other teams must love playing against it.

In terms of us

Eriksen is not a very creative player. Nine times out of ten his attempts at setting up team mates fail (through balls straight at an opponent's feet mostly). Lamela posts very good numbers when it comes to chances created and assists.

Back