• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Part of Levy's tweaking is to optimise the clubs business model or value chain or whatever you call it.

I think we are on the verge of something now, just waiting for new revenues from new stadium, sponsorships to add to our already promising youth scouting and development programme.

I believe levy knows the costs of the heavy transitions, only doing what is best for the long term.

This is quite interesting: http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015...-an-equal-performance-to-outstanding-liverp/?

Shows that Lamela's creativity stats compare favourably to many key players who are considered to have had good seasons.

Perhaps some (definitely including me) have been too hard on Lamela and over critical on him? In my case I think it comes from watching him have so many infuriating moments where he loses the ball needlessly, but maybe the positives could actually outweigh the negatives?

I like lamella and hope we keep faith in him. He has done better most are willing to admit to but I think that article is over playing it a bit.
In a settled side playing a fixed system I reckon he would improve. His plus points at the moment, chasing back and harrying people, are hurting him at the other end. Very difficult to go from scurrying about without the ball to being composed on it.

This is quite interesting: http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015...-an-equal-performance-to-outstanding-liverp/?

Shows that Lamela's creativity stats compare favourably to many key players who are considered to have had good seasons.

Perhaps some (definitely including me) have been too hard on Lamela and over critical on him? In my case I think it comes from watching him have so many infuriating moments where he loses the ball needlessly, but maybe the positives could actually outweigh the negatives?

To me, all it shows is how ridiculous it is to base any assessment of players solely on stats! Does the guy who wrote this piece actually have two eyes in his head? How can anyone countenance even thinking for a minute that Lamela has been anywhere as effective as Coutinho? WALOB!

Whatever happened to watching footballers actually play instead of thinking you are playing Football Manager?

He needs to look at Oscar as an example.
His stats when he first came here were good but he didn't quite fit in to the team completely. Now he is effective and hard working.

I think what scews Lamelas performances for some is that he does give the ball away and takes the wrong option a lot, which is frustrating and often sticks in the mind longer than the positive contribution he has on a game, which unless results in a goal can go un noticed (say chances created which then amounts to a poor shot or a loss of possession from the forward or whoever is given the chance) - personally when looking at young players i focus on what they do well and contribute to the team rather than focus on the negatives (hence why i focus on Lamelas positives rsther than Townsends weaknesses) as with any young player you hope that as they progress the weak parts of their game improve over time, through adapting their game and work on the training field. lets not forget he's younger than Ryan Mason who no one thinks is close to the finished article yet.

Last edited:
I think what scews Lamelas performances for some is that he does give the ball away and takes the wrong option a lot, which is frustrating and often sticks in the mind longer than the positive contribution he has on a game, which unless results in a goal can go un noticed (say chances created which then amounts to a poor shot or a loss of possession from the forward or whoever is given the chance) - personally when looking at young players i focus on what they do well and contribute to the team rather than focus on the negatives (hence why i focus on Lamelas positives rsther than Townsends weaknesses) as with any young player you hope that as they progress the weak parts of their game improve over time, through adapting their game and work on the training field. lets not forget he's younger than Ryan Mason who no one thinks is close to the finished article yet.

He is a conundrum! You are quite close tot he truth I suspect. My big problem is that he doesn't seem to learn... still loses the ball and takes the wrong option as frequently as he used to do in the beginning of the season.

He is a conundrum! You are quite close tot he truth I suspect. My big problem is that he doesn't seem to learn... still loses the ball and takes the wrong option as frequently as he used to do in the beginning of the season.

Nail in the head. He has not learned anything from his two season with us that has made him more effective as a creative force. He does work harder than he used to and that is his redeeming attribute at the moment

I think possibly the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game is making this seem more of an issue than it actually is - when we was last discussing Lamela i had a look at the what games he has played this calender year and iirc it was a mixed bag - some games he done well some games he done ok and some games he was poor...which kind of comes back to my point about the negatives sticking out more.

I think with any young player who is still developing it's a case of practice makes perfect - in a way i think it's good that he still tries to run with the ball as that was supposedly a strong point of his game prior to coming here and it suggests he hasn't lost his confidence, it's frustrating watching him fudge it up time after time but you don't learn and improve yourself if you shy away from the areas of the game in which you need to improve - frustrating to the extreme watching him run in to dead ends or lose possession when on the ball but hopefully it's all aiding his development. I suppose it'd look better on him if he went backwards/sideways more and played a safe pass to a team mate - do that half of the times he got caught out against Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the first half and maybe he wouldn't have looked so bad

Lamela
Chances created: 47
Key Passes: 41.
Assists: 6
Goals 2
Tackles won: 55

Coutihno:
Chances Created: 45
Key Passes: 41
Assists: 4
Goals: 4
Tackles Won: 41

Oh and Coutinho has played over 300 more minutes - I'd say the only difference between them? the price tag WE paid for Lamela, not something he demanded or probably believes he's worth. There is clearly talent there and I'm glad reading his recent quotes that he loves being here.

Lamela
Goals 2

Coutihno:

Oh and Coutinho has played over 300 more minutes - I'd say the only difference between them? the price tag WE paid for Lamela, not something he demanded or probably believes he's worth. There is clearly talent there and I'm glad reading his recent quotes that he loves being here.

I think probably Coutinho makes far fewer glaring/frustrating mistakes on the ball which Lamela is guilty of and is one one of the chief reasons he is poorly thought of

To me, all it shows is how ridiculous it is to base any assessment of players solely on stats! Does the guy who wrote this piece actually have two eyes in his head? How can anyone countenance even thinking for a minute that Lamela has been anywhere as effective as Coutinho? WALOB!

Whatever happened to watching footballers actually play instead of thinking you are playing Football Manager?

Because some of those who win on football manager tend to think that REAL football is as easy. :D

The problem with watching them play is that most tend to focus only on the things that reinforce their preconceived ideas.

Lamela
Goals 2

Coutihno:

I personally don't rate continho that highly but he has had a good season.

It may be worth looking at the impact of those key passes.

What I can say is I don't remember seeing continho run into the opposition like they weren't there as regularly as Lamella

Back