• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

No one actually. He was definitely better than Chadli and Eriksen but then both of them were hopeless, especially Eriksen.

Including the City players I thought he was one of the more creative players on the pitch. Unlucky not to get an assist today, and could have scored at the end.

His talent will shine through,of that I have no doubt. But one of the things I enjoy most about him is his fight and determination, he doesn't give up -even when he is having a poor game with the ball and is always prepared to get stuck in...

Agreed. Really like his attitude. Been a tough couple of years for him, but he doesn't look like giving up at all and keeps trying. Including today where he just kept going and kept going even in the final 10 minutes when he was clearly exhausted.

Much better today. Lost possession less than usual, and there was a real drive about his performance.

Still not enough end product, but he played the ball through to Kane on the early chance at least.

I have have been one of Lamela's most vociferous critics but today's performance, though anything but exceptional, offers some sparks of hope... Must be more creative though because ultimately that is where we need him!

Whoscored have him with 6 key passes, more than any other player on the pitch. Eriksen and Silva shared 2nd with 4 each.

Quite a few of those were corners I believe, but he did deliver some excellent corners so I think that should count as end product.

Could easily have equalized at the end, had Chadli managed to lift the ball to him early on he would have been in for a one on one with Hart too.

There are others much more deserving of the "not enough end product" tag than Lamela today.

Whoscored have him with 6 key passes, more than any other player on the pitch. Eriksen and Silva shared 2nd with 4 each.

Quite a few of those were corners I believe, but he did deliver some excellent corners so I think that should count as end product.

Could easily have equalized at the end, had Chadli managed to lift the ball to him early on he would have been in for a one on one with Hart too.

There are others much more deserving of the "not enough end product" tag than Lamela today.

I love his game and think it would be better for the team and him if he spent more time in the central areas. I also want him to have more efforts on goal when cutting in from the left like in this video. I know he can do it.

Going to wait for him to play like this in 10 or 11 games out of 15 before i am convinced.

Honestly I would be stunned if he managed to turn it around at this point.

Lamela/Paulinho have managed to start to turn in "less than awful" performances with some regularity, I just can't think of players in any club/league that have had 2 dire seasons, then turned it around and became a key/influential part of their team.

Happy to see them play out season, but really couldn't see the club not actively looking at offers for them +several others

Lamela/Paulinho have managed to start to turn in "less than awful" performances with some regularity, I just can't think of players in any club/league that have had 2 dire seasons, then turned it around and became a key/influential part of their team.

Happy to see them play out season, but really couldn't see the club not actively looking at offers for them +several others
I'm not sure Paulinho and Lamela are in the same boat. It goes without saying that so far both have been poor value buys, but Lamela effectively missed his first season with us and he pretty young too. I could see him being given another season. Paulinho should be shipped out asap.

I'm not sure Paulinho and Lamela are in the same boat. It goes without saying that so far both have been poor value buys, but Lamela effectively missed his first season with us and he pretty young too. I could see him being given another season. Paulinho should be shipped out asap.

Unless we get full value or close to it I think we'll hold back on those players that have been involved this season until we've moved on the completely useless ones (Adebayor, Kaboul, Capoue, Dembele). Then we move on to Townsend, Paulinho, Soldado and possibly Chiriches.

Unless we get full value or close to it I think we'll hold back on those players that have been involved this season until we've moved on the completely useless ones (Adebayor, Kaboul, Capoue, Dembele). Then we move on to Townsend, Paulinho, Soldado and possibly Chiriches.

I disagree, while recoup of fee might help us, we also have to consider just the wages off the books.

If I was going to do an order, I'd start with the players that never get played, then bit part, then regular squad.

I disagree, while recoup of fee might help us, we also have to consider just the wages off the books.

If I was going to do an order, I'd start with the players that never get played, then bit part, then regular squad.

Lamela won't be on massive wages he was signed by Roma from River Plate as a teenager and Roma don't pay massive wages, then we got him. He'll be on average wages for a first team player here.

I think he's pretty low down on priorities to sell. Think our selling list is as follows in order of preference:

Adebayor
Kaboul
Capoue
Lennon
Soldado
Paulinho
Chiriches
Dembele
Stambouli
Fazio

I think Lamela only goes if we get a decent offer for him and I think few clubs would be willing to part with that kind of money given his form so I suspect he will stay

The only one I can think of is Lucas at Liverpool. He was absolutely hated for a coupple of season before turning it around and becoming "the best dm ever" according to Liverpool fans.

I'd love for him to succeed at Spurs. He has shown glimpses of genuine quality and has undeniable determination and a great work-rate. He really wants to do better and tries his hardest. On top of all that, he's still very young, so he could yet find another level. But at the same time... we're coming to the end of his second season at the club now, and he's just not demonstrated the consistent quality we need from a creative attacking player. Going into next season with Lamela in the first eleven is a big risk; based on what we've seen of him this season. He's not yet good enough for where we want to be in my view.

His saving grace, in my eyes, is that there is a whole host of players ahead of him in the queue for the exit door. I'd be very surprised if any of the following players are still at the club next year... Adebayor, Capoue, Kaboul, Paulinho, Chiriches. And I also suspect Dembele, Townsend and Stambouli might not be in Poch's plans.

So keeping Lamela as a squad / bench player would make perfect sense. If he finally fulfils his potential and it happens at Spurs, then everyone's happy and he can step up into the first team squad and rip premiership defences apart like we all hoped he would. In the meantime, he's certainly good enough to play our group matches in the Europa League and the early rounds of the cups - so he will get game time and the opportunity to progress.

For now though, if we continue to play 4-2-3-1, and if Eriksen and Chadli remain two of that "3", then we need a new player ahead of Lamela as the third (and no, I don't think it should be Townsend). Assuming this season wasn't a one-off from Kane, he's too good a striker not to provide with top class support.

I'd love for him to succeed at Spurs. He has shown glimpses of genuine quality and has undeniable determination and a great work-rate. He really wants to do better and tries his hardest. On top of all that, he's still very young, so he could yet find another level. But at the same time... we're coming to the end of his second season at the club now, and he's just not demonstrated the consistent quality we need from a creative attacking player. Going into next season with Lamela in the first eleven is a big risk; based on what we've seen of him this season. He's not yet good enough for where we want to be in my view.

His saving grace, in my eyes, is that there is a whole host of players ahead of him in the queue for the exit door. I'd be very surprised if any of the following players are still at the club next year... Adebayor, Capoue, Kaboul, Paulinho, Chiriches. And I also suspect Dembele, Townsend and Stambouli might not be in Poch's plans.

So keeping Lamela as a squad / bench player would make perfect sense. If he finally fulfils his potential and it happens at Spurs, then everyone's happy and he can step up into the first team squad and rip premiership defences apart like we all hoped he would. In the meantime, he's certainly good enough to play our group matches in the Europa League and the early rounds of the cups - so he will get game time and the opportunity to progress.

For now though, if we continue to play 4-2-3-1, and if Eriksen and Chadli remain two of that "3", then we need a new player ahead of Lamela as the third (and no, I don't think it should be Townsend). Assuming this season wasn't a one-off from Kane, he's too good a striker not to provide with top class support.

Not that I disagree, but this is pretty short sighted by many to keep quoting this. His first-season was pretty much a non-starter due to a major injury. It's pretty much the end of his first season in reality. In terms of getting used to playing BPL football anyway.

Back