• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

It comes across that way sometimes. Constantly referring to his stats is somewhat pointless as I think we can all agree based on what our eyes have seen that he hasn't been good enough.

It really doesn't.

No wonder you think people overvalue the assist stat if you think just because someone posts his assist stat in comparison to other players they're saying he's been good enough.

I don't see the point of cutting our losses. We're better off keeping him, hoping he can fulfill his potential and have him hope to be an integral part of our team. There is a reason he's in and around Argentinas squad and why we forked out £30,000,000 for him. Raw ability.

He can play on the left, centre or on the right, so a good useful player to have. Is capable of something special, as we saw with the rabona and can pick out a great pass when he wants, assist for Kane against Liverpool for example.

I think we've all been disappointed with Lamela based on his price tag and the performances, but the majority of us agree that there is something there.

Agreed. He's our player now whatever he cost (unless there are appearance clauses etc). What we can get for him and if that offer seems better than keeping him is the question.

As he keeps being compared to Townsend, as they primarily play in the same position... I don't think we'll necessarily get much more for Lamela than for Townsend. They're at a similar age. I think Lamela has more potential and is a better fit in our team. Unless we got a properly big bid for Lamela I think it would make more sense to sell Townsend than Lamela.

Just for curiosity, would you be willing to give Paulinho another season for the same reason?

Not sure, the problem with Paulinho is I just dont see where he fits in to a Poch system, and also he is older than Lamela, so any potential improvement in time is less likely.

I wonder what Levy and Lewis make of the fact we spent £73m on him, Paulinho and Soldado. Do you think they lie in bed spooning and sucking their thumbs?

It's been said that Soldado and paulinho, were down to Avg primarily (backing the manager) Lamela is more of a baldini signing though.

Agreed. He's our player now whatever he cost (unless there are appearance clauses etc). What we can get for him and if that offer seems better than keeping him is the question.

As he keeps being compared to Townsend, as they primarily play in the same position... I don't think we'll necessarily get much more for Lamela than for Townsend. They're at a similar age. I think Lamela has more potential and is a better fit in our team. Unless we got a properly big bid for Lamela I think it would make more sense to sell Townsend than Lamela.

This is basically what im getting at - it's the business end of the season and RWF is one of the positions we need to improve on in the summer. It's a straight choice between Lamela and Townsend as to who is sold to make way for any potential signing in this position - and for the reasons i have put forward recently Lamela is the player i think should stay (because in terms of creativity and defensive contribution in a pressing team he is quite a considerable way in front of his 'rival') that's not to say i think he has had a great season or that he doesn't need to step it up - he does, as i have said many times.

Townsend will fetch a good fee, probably the same as what we'd get for Lamela, more or less, which can get reinvested in to the team - next summer if Lamela hasn't improved beyong where he is now id be looking to sell him also (assuming any new signing out performs him or shows good potential to do so)

How long does Lamela have left on his contract?

If its 3yrs (or the 2+ 1yr option) then if he has a "reasonable" season next season, ie an improvement but still nowhere near what would be expected then we are in an awkward position come summer 2016.

We might be forced to offer an improved contract to a player that might scarcely deserve it and still have shown no real sign of being the player we hoped or even signs he will ever be. Or trying to recoup as much of his transfer fee as possible despite the fact he would have had 3 totally unimpressive seasons behind him here on pretty high (for us) wages too. Good luck with that

This is basically what im getting at - it's the business end of the season and RWF is one of the positions we need to improve on in the summer. It's a straight choice between Lamela and Townsend as to who is sold to make way for any potential signing in this position - and for the reasons i have put forward recently Lamela is the player i think should stay (because in terms of creativity and defensive contribution in a pressing team he is quite a considerable way in front of his 'rival') that's not to say i think he has had a great season or that he doesn't need to step it up - he does, as i have said many times.

Townsend will fetch a good fee, probably the same as what we'd get for Lamela, more or less, which can get reinvested in to the team - next summer if Lamela hasn't improved beyong where he is now id be looking to sell him also (assuming any new signing out performs him or shows good potential to do so)
Personally I think Townsend probably has more potential. He has far better ball control, doesn't give up possession as soon as he is pressurised by the opposition, can receive the ball on the run, doesn't need nearly as much time on the ball to be effective and he is also two footed. Whereas Lamela's biggest attribute is that he can go for ages charging around running at whichever member of the opposition that currently has the ball.

When you can look as bad as Lamela did on Sunday against a Saudi Sportswashing Machine team who have completely given up trying this season then I don't think there is really any future hope.

Personally I don't see either of Townsend or Lamela as being good enough to take us to where we want to be, but seeing as Townsend counts as a homegrown player we might as well retain him instead of Lamela and then keep our fingers crossed that Pritchard continues to develop.

Can people who believe that an improvement from Lamela can take place next season, clarify what this optimism is based on? Other than irrational hope.

The guy has had a almost full season in the Premiership now but his games since Christmas has actually regressed from those he played earlier in the season when he was at least average. I never thought I could see a Sours player be so crud as he was in the first half - someone compared him to Tramezzani and they were not far wrong.

Personally I think Townsend probably has more potential. He has far better ball control, doesn't give up possession as soon as he is pressurised by the opposition, can receive the ball on the run, doesn't need nearly as much time on the ball to be effective and he is also two footed. Whereas Lamela's biggest attribute is that he can go for ages charging around running at whichever member of the opposition that currently has the ball.

When you can look as bad as Lamela did on Sunday against a Saudi Sportswashing Machine team who have completely given up trying this season then I don't think there is really any future hope.

Personally I don't see either of Townsend or Lamela as being good enough to take us to where we want to be, but seeing as Townsend counts as a homegrown player we might as well retain him instead of Lamela and then keep our fingers crossed that Pritchard continues to develop.

Townsend is dispossessed and gives the ball away just as much as Lamela, in fact it's slightly more but not worth getting caught up on as there's not much in it and it's something both players need to improve on. It's certainly something i have picked up on in both players game and find it strange that you think one player is any worse than the other in this regard (much less the fact it's actually the slightly better of the two which is the one getting criticized :D )

I've seen you condemn Chadli for offering his full back zero protection this season several times which is exactly the situation Townsend is currently in and something Lamela can not be accused of at all so i find it quite telling that not only are you not picking up Townsend for doing exactly what you criticized Chadli for but you are actually now attempting to play down Lamelas defensive contribution as : "charging around running at whichever member of the opposition that currently has the ball." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lamela very often looks the other way when passing the ball - he'll pass left and look right to confuse the opposition. It is a neat trick, but also means he fairly often messes up simple passes, would be better to just pass the ball rather than trying to fool everyone.

Also he plays with his head up a lot, looking around at where people are, thinking for the next pass which is great... but can mean he misses the ball as he is thinking one step ahead.

Townsend has the opposite problem, he is always thinking one step 'behind'. He will pass where the player was, not where the player is running to. He will dribble into a space that is being closed down.

Somewhere in both players there is talent but by GHod they need to start showing some end product and iron out these fatal flaws.

Can people who believe that an improvement from Lamela can take place next season, clarify what this optimism is based on? Other than irrational hope.

The guy has had a almost full season in the Premiership now but his games since Christmas has actually regressed from those he played earlier in the season when he was at least average. I never thought I could see a Sours player be so crud as he was in the first half - someone compared him to Tramezzani and they were not far wrong.

I don't think Lamela is going to be any great shakes, the problem I see is us getting rid of five players and getting another seven in ! I don't think I could go through that again, lets have evolution and not revolution this time please.

Can't see Lamela going to Inter. Their transfer strategy seems to be looking around for "misfits" with good potential and try to get them on the cheap or loan, not really compatible with Levy is it..

Edit:
I have no evidence to back up this claim, it's just an impression I've got from Inter.

I don't think Lamela is going to be any great shakes, the problem I see is us getting rid of five players and getting another seven in ! I don't think I could go through that again, lets have evolution and not revolution this time please.

I doubt we will see the same again. Our squad is too big right now and I imagine that we will likely only buy 3-4 tops whilst looking to sell closer to 8-9.

Can't see Lamela going to Inter. Their transfer strategy seems to be looking around for "misfits" with good potential and try to get them on the cheap or loan, not really compatible with Levy is it..

Edit:
I have no evidence to back up this claim, it's just an impression I've got from Inter.

Levy will at least have to consider loaning him out back to a club in Italy.....it will give him a chance to play, perform, and who knows a year of success in Serie A might encourage, lets say Juve, to make a good and acceptable bid to buy him in 2016. If Lamela is not in Poch's plans then a year long loan to Inter is not a bad idea at all

That's the key IMO too. Only replace with upgrades and develop what we have that we want to keep

Our squad isn't small and what it may lack in quality id rather see supllemented with one or two quality additions and promotions

Buying 7 players was a bad move in hindsight. I think most of us at the time were happy we were reinvesting the money rather than squirreling it away, Paulinho, Lamela and Eriksen were high profile signings that did get our rivals' attention at the very least, plus Soldado was a proven commodity in Spain. 7 in one go is too many to integrate. Look at Chelsea this season, they've spent smart and identified key positions rather than their typical scattergun approach.

I doubt we will see the same again. Our squad is too big right now and I imagine that we will likely only buy 3-4 tops whilst looking to sell closer to 8-9.

I hope so but how many of our players fit into the MP "system", I can see big changes again and we will start next season unsettled.

Back