• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

He should have back healed it to lennon, who then would wip it across goal to kane. Simple.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk

Lamela is a player who 100% deserves the description 'there's a player in there' - think we'll see it back end of this seaon

Thats what I keep telling everyone and myself. Every now again you see a flash of it! Its not just a flick or a pass anyone can do its something only a very few players have in their locker.

He annoys the hell out of me at other times, hes got to learn to keep hold of the ball more. On Thursday it was about the 90th minute in our own half by the touchline and he did some stupid stepover or flick and just gave the ball away, I was shouting all sorts at the TV for minute lol.

Thats what I keep telling everyone and myself. Every now again you see a flash of it! Its not just a flick or a pass anyone can do its something only a very few players have in their locker.

He annoys the hell out of me at other times, hes got to learn to keep hold of the ball more. On Thursday it was about the 90th minute in our own half by the touchline and he did some stupid stepover or flick and just gave the ball away, I was shouting all sorts at the TV for minute lol.

he'll do much better when the team is more settled. right now i can empathize with him - its like my saturday futsal game where i get to play with different guys every week. and its a mess.

[vine]OnZE1tXQbqn[/vine]

Imagine if that had gone in.. Beautiful

That was Lamela's only shot on target in the match. Too bad the goalie did well to save it. He will score more goals if he can put his shots on target more like this. I think Lamela needs to do more practise on shooting as almost all his shots goes off target.

Usually more weight comes at a cost to acceleration, pace, agility, stamina etc. Lamela seems to have a good balance between various physical traits.

I don't think having pace is helping Lamela much now. I think he needs to slow down a bit and think more before passing or shooting. I think Lamela is going too fast for his own liking. His finishing will probably improve greatly if he can calm down more when playing.

Is it a coincidence that Lamela is dropped and we play well? Yet again a totally anonymous contribution, once he came on. Persistently losing the ball and unable to get past his man. I so wish him to succeed but the more time passes, the worse he seems to play????

Is it a coincidence that Lamela is dropped and we play well? Yet again a totally anonymous contribution, once he came on. Persistently losing the ball and unable to get past his man. I so wish him to succeed but the more time passes, the worse he seems to play????

I think the win today was far more down to (1) playing 4-4-1-1 rather than 4-2-3-1 and therefore having a lot more width and (2) having two CMs who pass the ball quickly rather than either fannying about it it (Dembele) or not being able to pass (Capoue and Stambo)

I wouldnt say that its NOT a coincidence but we tend to look far better without him in the team... more direct players etc. Id rather have Chadli on instead of Lamela... I think Chadli will play mid week not sure if Lamela will...

No, no coincidence. And if he wants to get back in the team he'll have to do a lot better coming off the bench than today. We have better options than him who contribute more going forward and in defence. He's too much off a lightweight show pony.

Yes.

This was the first time in ages we had two proper passing footballers in central midfield since... Huddlestone and Modric?

Lamela wasn't great today when he came on, but imo he at least worked hard. Obviously instructed to stay wide and in position defensively and he did just that. I'm sure quite a few people were fearing Baines being released a lot with Lennon coming off, but he really wasn't and Lamela did his job off the ball.

Yes.

This was the first time in ages we had two proper passing footballers in central midfield since... Huddlestone and Modric?

Lamela wasn't great today when he came on, but imo he at least worked hard. Obviously instructed to stay wide and in position defensively and he did just that. I'm sure quite a few people were fearing Baines being released a lot with Lennon coming off, but he really wasn't and Lamela did his job off the ball.

I love this statement - talk about banging the same drum.

If I were paying someone 50k a week the VERY VERY VERY VERY least I would expect is he is working hard. Besides no one is criticisng his work ethic and tenacity which has been commendable.

I love this statement - talk about banging the same drum.

If I were paying someone 50k a week the VERY VERY VERY VERY least I would expect is he is working hard. Besides no one is criticisng his work ethic and tenacity which has been commendable.

But people have been criticizing the work rate of other players. Surely then praising someone who is working hard is fair? No? Lennon has been praised for this for years by plenty of posters, including myself... What's the problem?

The fact is that a combination of massive amounts of talent with good work ethic is fairly rare. He's inconsistent, but always trying and when he's doing his job defensively when his work on the ball isn't working out I at least will continue to have a lot of patience.

The problem for Lamela -besides the wanting to hang onto the ball too long, wanting too much time etc - is that he doesn't really have an obvious position. At the moment he is being played as a wide player that likes to come inside -and we already have a better one of those in Eriksen (who I would prefer to stay inside and do the job he does best instead of having to play central but always keep in eye on their RM -but still). We don't want two wide players who come inside.

He is not a defensively minded midfielder or playmaker. He is not a furthest forward striker. Which leaves second striker - possibly -but the Soldado/Kane partnership seems better. Which leaves Europe Cup/Fa cup etc and bench for Lamela.

Last edited:
I think using him from the bench is the right move at the minute -- I would like to see him used down the left flank though, and see how he goes. Bring him on after 60-70 minutes, let him have a run at tiring full-backs.

Don't think it's a coincidence at all that we played so well without him in the team he's going to have to earn his place to get back in the team. Needs to learn when to release the ball he was the only player who didn't look good today but hopefully he can turn things around

Don't think it's a coincidence at all that we played so well without him in the team he's going to have to earn his place to get back in the team. Needs to learn when to release the ball he was the only player who didn't look good today but hopefully he can turn things around

Agreed.
There is absolutely a player in there, and I believe it will happen, but for now he fights for his place. Lennon was much more impactful for us today and must play Wednesday.

Back