• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

The problem with Lamela is, in my opinion, one that simply cannot be trained away or worked with. First couple of times I saw Chadli play, he was pretty useless but you could see straight away he would be successful in this league. He's got the physical strength and power needed to cut it here. Same with Townsend. Lamela hasn't. He is a very slightly built individual.

Of course, a really skilful player can counteract that, find a place and survive and flourish - a Modric and or a David Silva - but I don't personally think Lamela is anything like as fundamentally as good a footballer as either of those. I don't see where he can play that would be a place he truly excels in the premier league. Some say a striker, but I don't see that either. He's shown no eye for a goal at all.

I really, really do hope he starts tearing up each week, but I just don't see it, and I'm of the opinion we should look to cut our loses on him but I trust Poch to make the right decision either way.

I don't know where to begin with your 'assesment' of Lamela Bonsaiboy because it doesn't match up at all with what i have seen from him so far.

Dembele and Lamela are also similar in that it seems both of them can only beat a player on the left. It also looks like the opposition have got wise to this (especially in Lamela's case) which is perhaps why he seems to lose the ball so much when he attempts to dribble.

Reminds me of when Dumitrescu looked a world beater until opponents realised he could only go one way.

My worry with Lamela is what others have mentioned will he ever deliver the goods in this league? I am not doubting his ability but he just does not seem suited to the Premiership. I think we do need to be patient as the amount we paid for him is astronomical by our standards and we need to see if we can get return on our investment. But then the tricky part how can we keep giving him chances when it is becoming clear we have other options that may give us a better chance for a result.

I was very critical of Lennon over the past few seasons but he has come in and played very well. I also think Townsend deserves a run in the side as he has started to show he may be finding form again and then of course Chadli who has been a revelation this season and looks a constant goal threat. Kane and Eriksen obviously undroppable at the moment so the positions where he can get a spot are very crowded at the moment. He had a long run of games and didn't produce the goods so he is going to have to fight his way back up the pecking order.

I remember seeing a young lad a few years back, looking like a clueless donkey at times. Kane, was it? Heard he's scored 11 goals this season.

And this other fella, big hair, bigger ears, always losing, for a long time. Rumours say he's the world's most expensive footballer now. Can you believe it?!

Of course there's also the story of the tiny Ukrainan sidekick, the blonde Scandinavian drunkard and the crazy African dude, but they don't suit my point, so don't worry about them.

I just think we should gift this South American poster boy with a bit more patience as well. He's quick, technical, stronger than he looks and works hard. What he lacks is better decision making and consistency. Which I've heard rumours of young players actually getting better at before.

I remember seeing a young lad a few years back, looking like a clueless donkey at times. Kane, was it? Heard he's scored 11 goals this season.

And this other fella, big hair, bigger ears, always losing, for a long time. Rumours say he's the world's most expensive footballer now. Can you believe it?!

Of course there's also the story of the tiny Ukrainan sidekick, the blonde Scandinavian drunkard and the crazy African dude, but they don't suit my point, so don't worry about them.

I just think we should gift this South American poster boy with a bit more patience as well. He's quick, technical, stronger than he looks and works hard. What he lacks is better decision making and consistency. Which I've heard rumours of young players actually getting better at before.

At this point in time, all I'll say to this post is...

Ugh....

But soon enough I'll expand on my thoughts here

It's that he is plain ****ing awful at tackling, he just doesn't know how to do it and will just miss and/or get himself booked.

Poch needs to put him on some basic tackling training.

...which presumably is what he's getting now...some 'real' coaching...pet project...same language, etc. Early doors yet, and given investment we don't have much choice. I'm still hopeful, and he will get opportunities. But has work cut out in uncompromising league. Concerned he has slipped to bench in recent games. Haircuts aside, production in PL (which is really all that matters) will be limited unless he develops right foot. Also aint much in the air despite height. Pace is a concern, and his dribbling technique needs work. When he squares up to defenders and tries to go by he doesn't always do it with authority and conviction. Sometimes he just prods the ball toward defender and stands there or even backs off. Interesting how he fares in Jan thru Mar weather and pitches. Still, does some good things at times, and I agree he tries. I'd imagine if we got rid it will be because he was misunderstood, we didn't treat him right, he was unlucky (and so were we), we don't know a class player when we see one (maybe we don't), the timing was just wrong, 'there was a player in there somewhere', etc.

Last edited:
At this point in time, all I'll say to this post is...

Ugh....

But soon enough I'll expand on my thoughts here

I see your ugh and raise you an ah. And summarise my post for easier replying: I still think it's too early to judge Lamela.

Could be an impact sub in a striker role, i.e. 20 minutes to go against tired centre backs, just whack it up the pitch and let him run like a gazelle.

Then you don't have to worry about him tracking back or passing, you just tell him to run until he scores.

The problem is I don't see where is pace is...he never seems able to get away from defenders....any defenders.

There were numerous counter attacking positions we had against Everton and other teams but Lamela just doesn't have that power, speed or strength to take advantage of that although to be honest that is the case for our entire squad bar Kyle Walker!

There have definitely been performances, cameos where you think we just need to persist with him and reap the rewards later! How long was Bale with us before he took off?

I think there is a will to want him to do well from everyone and he tries incredibly hard when he's on the pitch just unfortunately its just not coming off for him!

I would leave him on the bench in the league for now until we find our way, form and maybe just introduce him gradually again...

As frustrating as it has been I'm not giving up on him!

Ok, here's a video of Lamela's highlights vs West Brom. This video actually omits the numerous additional occasions he gave away possession that game, but it's adequate to show some of his chronic issues that keep on recurring game after game.

0.20 - poncing around trying to look flashy and fails to get a cross in.

0.30 - poncing around trying to look flashy and gives ball away.

1.45 - barged off the ball in a girly fashion.

2.10 - poncing around doing step overs and crosses straight to a defender

2.43 - bad pass in promising position and gives away possession.

3.25 - poncing around doing step overs and gives away possession.

[video=youtube;YGxByrrTULs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGxByrrTULs[/video]

I see your ugh and raise you an ah. And summarise my post for easier replying: I still think it's too early to judge Lamela.

Fair enough.

I do agree with you that it's too early to judge him but we can't turn a blind eye to his faults and point at a couple of players who started out meh and improved. Although I do think it's harsh to judge Kane as a clueless donkey, I thought he always showed intelligence and ability, but was usually played in pretty terrible teams early on.

I have such mixed feelings on Lamela, I do believe the talent is there but realistically looking at his end product he can be so frustrating. As PLT said, against Everton he had quite a few chances against tired legs and just didn't seize them and also didn't take the safe option to keep the ball, instead lingering in the not so good inbetween of that equation.

Also as said,

His passion and work ethic - Top notch

Tackling ability - ****ing dire. I don't think he's malicious but he's lucky to not get booked every game currently...

Fair enough.

I do agree with you that it's too early to judge him but we can't turn a blind eye to his faults and point at a couple of players who started out meh and improved. Although I do think it's harsh to judge Kane as a clueless donkey, I thought he always showed intelligence and ability, but was usually played in pretty terrible teams early on.

I have such mixed feelings on Lamela, I do believe the talent is there but realistically looking at his end product he can be so frustrating. As PLT said, against Everton he had quite a few chances against tired legs and just didn't seize them and also didn't take the safe option to keep the ball, instead lingering in the not so good inbetween of that equation.

Also as said,

His passion and work ethic - Top notch

Tackling ability - ****ing dire. I don't think he's malicious but he's lucky to not get booked every game currently...

I think we mostly agree though - he definitely has his faults, however I think they're the kind of faults that can be overcome by experience, training and hard work.

He's got the work ethic for improving, which is the key for me. He's quick and skillful, with a sweet left foot, the problems are more of a tactical/decision making nature. Which can be taught.

There's never a guarantee he'll be as good as I hope he will be, but I still have high hopes.

The price tag is probably his biggest problem for those most impatient, I think. Had he been bought for half the price, there wouldn't have been such expectations for immediate impact, IMO.

As for Kane looking like a clueless donkey at times when I first saw him - harsh perhaps, though he didn't look very promising to me, but boy has that kid proved me wrong.

Ok, here's a video of Lamela's highlights vs West Brom. This video actually omits the numerous additional occasions he gave away possession that game, but it's adequate to show some of his chronic issues that keep on recurring game after game.

0.20 - poncing around trying to look flashy and fails to get a cross in.

0.30 - poncing around trying to look flashy and gives ball away.

1.45 - barged off the ball in a girly fashion.

2.10 - poncing around doing step overs and crosses straight to a defender

2.43 - bad pass in promising position and gives away possession.

3.25 - poncing around doing step overs and gives away possession.

[video=youtube;YGxByrrTULs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGxByrrTULs[/video]

Sounds a bit like Ronaldo did when he first signed for United.

I wouldn't say I'm losing patience with Lamela but I am losing faith a bit. I think he's too slight currently to play wide in the PL, I'd say he has above average pace but below-average power so finds it hard to beat defenders, I think for now he'd be best off rotating with Kane in that second striker role but even then I'm not totally sure on that.

Back