• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Umm... no.

Clearly Lamela was running off the pitch and the 4th official was holding up his number 11.

Then that little hobbit next to Poch that looks like Brick Tamland noticed Soldado was injured and went "wait a minute boss" and Poch threw his arm out to stop the 4th official and to tell Lamela to stay on.

Look at the video, around 4:25, it is clear as day.

lamela looked as confused as everyone else as to why he was coming off. Soldado was meant to come off earlier, but we started creating more (when Lennon come on) , so kept him on.

10365836_762307600472018_3192252599677745261_n.jpg

he was always going to come on for soldado.. was going to be earlier but lennon looked dangerous and eriksen was creating.

Watch the clip.... It is clear that he was coming on for Lamela. There was suddenly a big panic from one of Poch's minions as he noticed Soldado was injured and we were about to use our last sub subbing a fit player and leaving an injured out there.

Watch the clip.... It is clear that he was coming on for Lamela. There was suddenly a big panic from one of Poch's minions as he noticed Soldado was injured and we were about to use our last sub subbing a fit player and leaving an injured out there.

What's clear is that they put the wrong numbers up. The panic was because they put the wrong number up.

Whether you want Lamella in your side or not, there is no way you can justify not having Chadli in the starting XI at the moment. Lamela offers a different dimension but right now if everyone is fit I dont think he is not good enough to get in our first team, and should be an impact sub player....

If you read what I wrote, I didn't say that Lamela is playing "better" than Chadli or Kane at the moment. However, football is a team game, about systems, and it's not as simple as just playing your "best" players. I don't think Kane or Chadli are creative enough or offer enough energy both pressing or dribbling to be our flanking a loan striker. For me, they are both finishers, so if it was my system, I'd rather have the three CMs offering something different. Eriksen is my main creative passer, whilst Lamela is my main creative dribbler. I'd choose one of Kane or Chadli to be my second striker.

If you read what I wrote, I didn't say that Lamela is playing "better" than Chadli or Kane at the moment. However, football is a team game, about systems, and it's not as simple as just playing your "best" players. I don't think Kane or Chadli are creative enough or offer enough energy both pressing or dribbling to be our flanking a loan striker. For me, they are both finishers, so if it was my system, I'd rather have the three CMs offering something different. Eriksen is my main creative passer, whilst Lamela is my main creative dribbler. I'd choose one of Kane or Chadli to be my second striker.

I can almost agree with your logic, but when you are a team that arent scoring a hatful of goals you cant afford to drop players who have actual end product - Chadli has that, Kane has that, Lamela (and I am a big fan of his) currently doesn't have that end product so for me for the time being when we have a strongest side should be the one to come off the bench if we need some more energy or just to try something different....

I honestly cannot comprehend this general satisfaction with the video highlights which are basically Lamela's whole contribution to the game. Is there anything in those highlights that screams "there's a 30mill player here waiting to come out??" Is this our level of expectation from the supposed star of our team? I appreciate that people desperately want Lamela to succeed - so do I - but this is now bordering on the ridiculous. There is absolutely not one decent pass, shot or dribble in that whole clip. There are at least three occasions when he dribbles himself out of control of the ball and the ball rolls harmlessly out, dribbles that don;t come off etc. In addition out of the 6:25 minutes, only 2:10 relate to the first half when we were playing against a full team; he had a full 30 minutes against a ten man Hull for GHod's sake!!!

The irony is that Fazio is getting pasted left, right and centre on another thread when to me he was more effective than Lamela on Sunday

I honestly cannot comprehend this general satisfaction with the video highlights which are basically Lamela's whole contribution to the game. Is there anything in those highlights that screams "there's a 30mill player here waiting to come out??" Is this our level of expectation from the supposed star of our team? I appreciate that people desperately want Lamela to succeed - so do I - but this is now bordering on the ridiculous. There is absolutely not one decent pass, shot or dribble in that whole clip. There are at least three occasions when he dribbles himself out of control of the ball and the ball rolls harmlessly out, dribbles that don;t come off etc. In addition out of the 6:25 minutes, only 2:10 relate to the first half when we were playing against a full team; he had a full 30 minutes against a ten man Hull for GHod's sake!!!

The irony is that Fazio is getting pasted left, right and centre on another thread when to me he was more effective than Lamela on Sunday

I think they both put in decent performances once we settled into the game (which incedentally, happened before the sending off in my view).

What's clear is that they put the wrong numbers up. The panic was because they put the wrong number up.

Are you seriously going to continue with that belief despite the evidence to the contrary? Poch's assistant puts his thumbs up twice to find out if Soldado is ok and then when Soldado indicates that he isn't he quickly goes to Poch to tell him to change the player being subbed. He didn't look at the board at any point to see that the number was wrong. Also consider the fact that Lamela was in the process of coming off.... Do you not think that Poch wouldn't have checked/stopped him coming off otherwise?

I don't think anyone is saying that he was MOTM, had an 'outstanding game', or that he couldn't have done better against Hull. I don't think people are going overboard - they are simply just recognising him for what he did well during the game - kept the ball moving well, good 1-2s, drew fouls, WAS a threat at time, excellent workrate, real hunger and drive, was a threat at time and could have scored (should have scored perhaps).

To say he did not have 'one decent pass or dribble' is hyperbole and not actually true IMO. The highlights video shows the opposite. It also shows some mistakes – show me a Spurs player who ISN’T making mistakes right now??? And anyway, after the game and before the highlights video I already thought he had a pretty good match.

If you can't see the (obvious) potential in the guy based on the game - and other matches this season - then i am not sure what to say.
But I suppose that I, and others, am merely judging him for what he currently is (a clearly talented young guy who is still adapting to the PL and his team mates and who has areas for improvement) rather than what his price tag ‘says he should be’. Lamela cost £30 mil, so seems to be judged by this mythical standard. 'He cost 30 mil so he must be the absolute dogs doo dahs straight away'.

When I say judged, I mean hanged. I think people hang him by his price tag, like you appear to be doing. Lamela can't do anything about his price tag. it was probably a fair price tag given his form and hype at Roma, but it's a dangerous game to simply assume he'll walk into the side and look like the 'mythical £30 mil player'. He's had to face a lot of challenges - prolonged injuries, culture shift at a young age, a shifting and out of form Spurs team. His team mates, by the way, are themselves almost to a man experiencing the same fluctuations in form as Lamela is. But Lamela is good looking and hyped and cost £30 mil, so I think this is where the mythical different standard comes into play…

As africanspurs said, maybe Lamela isn't going to be the absolute STAR of this team, maybe he may "just" be a talented role player who supports people like Eriksen. This is a key role for any good team, so I don't have a huge problem if that's the case. Or maybe, just maybe, as the team grows, and he grows, and if people show some patience, he may grow to be a star, like he did at Roma.

Either way, I think most of the people you express frustration with simply recognise the challenges Lamela/Spurs face, and are prepared to show some patience, in light of the his clear talent and in recognising the difficult journey he (and we) are on.

You see, as some have said your 'dissatisfaction' is clearly felt due to the price tag.

Once you accept that the £30m fee wasn't a fee chosen by Lamela, or was even reflective of his 'current ability' or contribution. Once you accept it was just the 'take it or leave it fee' we were quoted by Roma and that we decided to go for it with his potential in mind, then you'll start judging him not based on your idea of what a £30m player should look like, but merely by what a clearly talented but raw 22 year old playing effectively his first full season in English football should look like.

Your blood pressure will be a lot lower, i promise.

I don't think anyone is saying that he was MOTM, had an 'outstanding game', or that he couldn't have done better against Hull. I don't think people are going overboard - they are simply just recognising him for what he did well during the game - kept the ball moving well, good 1-2s, drew fouls, WAS a threat at time, excellent workrate, real hunger and drive, was a threat at time and could have scored (should have scored perhaps).

To say he did not have 'one decent pass or dribble' is hyperbole and not actually true IMO. The highlights video shows the opposite. It also shows some mistakes – show me a Spurs player who ISN’T making mistakes right now??? And anyway, after the game and before the highlights video I already thought he had a pretty good match.

If you can't see the (obvious) potential in the guy based on the game - and other matches this season - then i am not sure what to say.
But I suppose that I, and others, am merely judging him for what he currently is (a clearly talented young guy who is still adapting to the PL and his team mates and who has areas for improvement) rather than what his price tag ‘says he should be’. Lamela cost £30 mil, so seems to be judged by this mythical standard. 'He cost 30 mil so he must be the absolute dogs doo dahs straight away'.

When I say judged, I mean hanged. I think people hang him by his price tag, like you appear to be doing. Lamela can't do anything about his price tag. it was probably a fair price tag given his form and hype at Roma, but it's a dangerous game to simply assume he'll walk into the side and look like the 'mythical £30 mil player'. He's had to face a lot of challenges - prolonged injuries, culture shift at a young age, a shifting and out of form Spurs team. His team mates, by the way, are themselves almost to a man experiencing the same fluctuations in form as Lamela is. But Lamela is good looking and hyped and cost £30 mil, so I think this is where the mythical different standard comes into play…

As africanspurs said, maybe Lamela isn't going to be the absolute STAR of this team, maybe he may "just" be a talented role player who supports people like Eriksen. This is a key role for any good team, so I don't have a huge problem if that's the case. Or maybe, just maybe, as the team grows, and he grows, and if people show some patience, he may grow to be a star, like he did at Roma.

Either way, I think most of the people you express frustration with simply recognise the challenges Lamela/Spurs face, and are prepared to show some patience, in light of the his clear talent and in recognising the difficult journey he (and we) are on.

Oh, yes, tickle my balls with a feather! Thanks for posting that. :eek:k:

You see, as some have said your 'dissatisfaction' is clearly felt due to the price tag.

Once you accept that the £30m fee wasn't a fee chosen by Lamela, or was even reflective of his 'current ability' or contribution. Once you accept it was just the 'take it or leave it fee' we were quoted by Roma and that we decided to go for it with his potential in mind, then you'll start judging him not based on your idea of what a £30m player should look like, but merely by what a clearly talented but raw 22 year old playing effectively his first full season in English football should look like.

Your blood pressure will be a lot lower, i promise.

I'm not getting too worried yet and I would not be surprised if he became a top player, but even if you put his price tag aside, he really doesn't deserve to be in the team ahead of Kane, Eriksen and Chadli (assuming he regains fitness for Sunday of course). Would be more fair to judge at the end of the season, but if we are assessing him so far as fans, which I think we should be allowed to do, he's been a bit disappointing so far. Not a total flop, by hardly set the world alight either.

I still think Lamela should put up some weight. He looks too thin. Maybe that is one of the reason he always loses the ball easily.

Back