• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

2 against QPR were good pieces of play.

The one against Arsenal - a fairly straight forward pass IIRC but he didn't **** it up so again, good play.

Can't remember the other two If I'm honest, refresh my memory.

Like I said before Eriksen created two sitters for Ade against West Brom and he missed them both (one of them he even missed the ball :lol:), I'm sure Lamela created chances for others that were also missed. Ultimately goals and general play are the most important factors for me.

'General play' is open to interpretation, hence the discussion. Just look at the contrasting views on his performance V Hull as an example. Both Eriksen and Lamela have played the same opponents alongside the same team mates so i don't think it's much of an argument to use Adebayors finishing as an excuse for one as it equally applies to the other. Lamela needs to start scoring - no arguments from me (or anyone else that i can see?) there but we need creativity and link play in the 3 behind the forward also - which i believe he is providing to an adequate enough level to keep him in the team.

'General play' is open to interpretation, hence the discussion. Just look at the contrasting views on his performance V Hull as an example. Both Eriksen and Lamela have played the same opponents alongside the same team mates so i don't think it's much of an argument to use Adebayors finishing as an excuse for one as it equally applies to the other. Lamela needs to start scoring - no arguments from me (or anyone else that i can see?) there but we need creativity and link play in the 3 behind the forward also - which i believe he is providing to an adequate enough level to keep him in the team.

I don't think he is doing enough to warrant a place in the side ahead of Kane, Chadli (where was he on Sunday btw) and Eriksen so I respectfully disagree. I'm sure in the long run, you will be right but for now, I'm not seeing enough from him.

just had a flash back to when i said i didnt see the 30 million pound big deal and got mauled by most on this place, the concensus was to wait, but no one gave a timeline

the truth is that i think he has much more to offer stats wise / team efficiency but dont see him being the main man...

now that i have come to accept that i wasnt completely off the mark about the price tag i find it easy to relieve lamela from the noose of the price tag as well. taking that away its plain to see that we have a very talented role player...the kind of player that you want to surround the bales and modrics of this world to make your team a super team.

i think it would be a big mistake to get rid of him as players like him are extremely hard to find

that video compliation is a good one. can the critiques of his performance in the hull game be made from that for a more objective discussion ?

I don't disagree with your argument that Kane, Chadli, and Erkisen are all possibly in better form than Lamela, however I do wonder whether there's enough creativity and good balance in a team of
-----------Soldado--------
Kane---Eriksen----Chadli
-----Mason---DM---------

For me, that team is short on creativity with only Eriksen really capable of creating many chances and none of them particularly apt at taking a player on. I love Chadli as a footballer and his goals have been huge for us, but he's mostly a finisher, really. I think he's a little bit like Kane in that respect. They both can create, for sure, but they are at their best getting on the end of chances. Like him or loath him, Lamela offers quite a different dimension than those two, and for me, I think we work best with one of Kane or Chadli plus a dribbler/creator like Lamela to open up space for others on the pitch.

The one that I think could challenge Lamela is Townsend, but he's been pretty patchy this season, so far. I still think Lamela deserves his place until Townsend takes it from him due to better form or possible injury.

--------------Soldado----------
-------------(Adebayor)
Lamela------Eriksen----Kane
(Townsend)------------(Chadli)

Whether you want Lamella in your side or not, there is no way you can justify not having Chadli in the starting XI at the moment. Lamela offers a different dimension but right now if everyone is fit I dont think he is not good enough to get in our first team, and should be an impact sub player....

I agree Lamela has more potential and will ultimately become a better player, but I just don't know how we can justify dropping Chadli when he has 6 goals and Lamela has 0. Chadli is a far bigger goal threat on current form.

Agreed. Difficult to justify dropping Chadli, same with Kane who keeps scoring. Eriksen got his goal against Hull so harsh to drop him too. Could play Kane as the lone striker, but he seems to play better behind a striker with Soldado up front perhaps. Not shocking if Lamela loses his place against Everton, although personally I think he should be in the team.

[video=youtube;9MBR5Ot3J40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MBR5Ot3J40[/video]

Someone made a compilation of his involvements against Hull. Just remember to turn off the GHod awful music.

Nice one! I think he has been rightly criticized for holding on to the ball sometimes in the past, very little evidence of that in this compilation at least. He fairly consistently manages to find space to turn, looks up, and if the pass is on he finds his team mate most of the time. Loved him winning the ball towards the end (at 1-1), then the little interplay with him and Eriksen. The kind of energy I was talking about earlier in the thread.

that video compliation is a good one. can the critiques of his performance in the hull game be made from that for a more objective discussion ?

That would be interesting. I really don't see much wrong with those involvements. One exception being that he really should have released Mason towards the end there.

Agreed. Difficult to justify dropping Chadli, same with Kane who keeps scoring. Eriksen got his goal against Hull so harsh to drop him too. Could play Kane as the lone striker, but he seems to play better behind a striker with Soldado up front perhaps. Not shocking if Lamela loses his place against Everton, although personally I think he should be in the team.

Lamela shouldnt be ahead of any of the three mentioned. Maybe eventually the solution will be Eriksen going CM....

That would be interesting. I really don't see much wrong with those involvements. One exception being that he really should have released Mason towards the end there.

Exactly. That was actually a pretty mature performance when you look at it like that. Its funny how we are so blinded with rage because the result is not in our favour at the time. In retrospective when we know we've won the game we can appreciate his performance a little more.

One thing I would say is both He and Eriksen remain incredibly narrow and without fullbacks who stretch the pitch we will struggle to create really good chances.

Nice one! I think he has been rightly criticized for holding on to the ball sometimes in the past, very little evidence of that in this compilation at least. He fairly consistently manages to find space to turn, looks up, and if the pass is on he finds his team mate most of the time. Loved him winning the ball towards the end (at 1-1), then the little interplay with him and Eriksen. The kind of energy I was talking about earlier in the thread.

A good highlights clip. Confirming what I thought based on my recollections of g the game at the time - which was that Lamela played well. Absolutely love the way he takes the ball in - he's got an excellent touch. And the way he receives the ball draws defenders in - and he's effective in these situations, either laying the ball off and moving into space for a one two, or skips/turns past the player. And when he gets past them he lays the ball off, or draws a foul.

When I watched the game I didn't see him frequently losing the ball, taking too many touches, not finding team mates, making bad decisions etc - which is what he seems to be frequently cricitised for.

I see an intelligent player who actually is a step ahead of most opponents - even a step ahead of his team mates at times. Put him in a settled, proper pass and move team with everyone on the same wave length and he'd look twice as good as he already does. But encouragingly as you mention you can see his interplay with Eriksen - a player who is on that wavelength already - is really, really slick. And very effective at moving our play progressively up the field. There's even signs with Vlad in this video.

This video seems to back up what I was thinking at the time about his performance. Particularly love the passages at 1.17 (one two with Eriksen) and 3. 17 (Cruyff turn in a tight spot, then more excellent one-two style football before a great switch of play). Shows all the attributes I just talked about.

I think it shows he has a footballing brain, he is brave on the ball, and he has been coached well as a kid.He also, clearly, works hard. Love his clear energy and desire shown throughout the game.

Do think his chance at the end, though, when he should have squared to Mason, is an example where Lamela's decision making could have been better. He can improve... BUT just like the whole team can.

To me Lamela's decision making is actually clearly quite good. I still think people are using the price tag to effectively bash him - "his decision making isn't at the level of a 30 mil player". He's no better or worse than any of our other players including Eriksen IMO, it's just he cost £30 mil and this automatically makes people think he should be so much better than the others.

I would be inclined to agree with africanspurs about this. I'm not sure he'll ever be "our 'star' £30 mil player". I think he will a high class support player to the key pivots in the team (a bit like Chadli is proving to be). I think this is key to the whole price thing - if people think he will go on to be our MVP based on his price tag, then they will end up being disappointed.

The only slight concern I have is that I am seeing Lamela playing like a no 10. I also think Eriksen is a no. 10 and plays best when he does this. So fitting the two into whatever team and system we go with could be a challenge. Still, how it ended up on Sunday -- Lamela wide on the left, Lennon wide on the right, Eriksen through the middle - could prove to be a good way round this puzzle.

Someone made a compilation of his involvements against Hull. Just remember to turn off the GHod awful music.

Thanks for that Jordinho....

Love his enthusiasm, his technique in receiving and distributing the ball is better than most and we just need him to get a goal or two.
I'm very pleased with Lamela. I don't understand why he's getting so much criticism. Poch was going to sub him too ...wtf lol

Thanks for that Jordinho....

Love his enthusiasm, his technique in receiving and distributing the ball is better than most and we just need him to get a goal or two.
I'm very pleased with Lamela. I don't understand why he's getting so much criticism. Poch was going to sub him too ...wtf lol

i dont think he ever meant to sub him. Looks like a mistake from the official. Soldado was injured.

Lamela shouldnt be ahead of any of the three mentioned. Maybe eventually the solution will be Eriksen going CM....

Possibly not.

For me what makes it at least close is that I still think Lamela has bags and bags of potential. We've signed him as a young kid for a ton of money because of that potential and so far he only has 13 league starts for us. Not saying he should be kept in the team above everyone else because of the price tag, but I do think giving someone with a lot of potential a lot of time on the pitch to keep developing that potential is a good idea.

That being said, having 4 players in fairly close competition for those 3 attacking midfield spots isn't a bad thing. With injuries and a touch of rotation there will be a lot of time on the pitch for everyone.

Unfortunately this isn't a comprehensive video of his "involvements", as I remember very clearly two incidents -one when he ran straight into defender on the edge of the box as he tried to go round him and lost the ball (at the time I even rewound to see who it was as I wasn't sure), and another time on the right side of their box where he made a very poor pass to a Hull player, which are not in here - and that's just the two I can remember.

So we shouldn't be trying to form an objective view of his contribution from this.

Unfortunately this isn't a comprehensive video of his "involvements", as I remember very clearly two incidents -one when he ran straight into defender on the edge of the box as he tried to go round him and lost the ball (at the time I even rewound to see who it was as I wasn't sure), and another time on the right side of their box where he made a very poor pass to a Hull player, which are not in here - and that's just the two I can remember.

So we shouldn't be trying to form an objective view of his contribution from this.

Thats not the point though, noone is arguing about the fact he has made errors or lacking end product at times.

The fact is he has a lot of potential and is demonstrating some very good things, and at a young age the mistakes he are making arent surprising but are superseeded by his talent...

i dont think he ever meant to sub him. Looks like a mistake from the official. Soldado was injured.

Umm... no.

Clearly Lamela was running off the pitch and the 4th official was holding up his number 11.

Then that little hobbit next to Poch that looks like Brick Tamland noticed Soldado was injured and went "wait a minute boss" and Poch threw his arm out to stop the 4th official and to tell Lamela to stay on.

Look at the video, around 4:25, it is clear as day.

Back