• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Still not sure what his best position would be? I would have said the 10 role behind the striker but he doesn't seem to have the vision/quick through ball in him that say VDV did. Holds on to the ball too long to play there imo. I think cutting in from the wing seems to be his best bet but he really needs to be quicker and smarter about when to release the ball and when to just keep it simple. Townsend gets crushed on here (rightfully so) for his long shots and dribbling too much but Lamela does much of the same (minus the shots)

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has revealed his anger at Erik Lamela for keeping him waiting at half-time while he Argentinian was taking a toilet break during the 2-0 League Cup win over Brighton last night.

Lamela came on at the half-time, replacing Aaron Lennon, and soon put Spurs ahead in the 54th minute.

"I got angry about him [Lamela] being late because I was focused," the manager said.

"When we arrived at the dressing room they knew about Lennon’s injury so I wanted Lamela on.

"After that he went to go to the toilet and we had to wait for him to come out."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/mauricio-pochettino-angry-with-erik-lamela-for-halftime-toilet-break-9827917.html

Saw tweet from John Cross the goon loving Mirror journo who covered the Brighton game. He said something along the lines of:

I like Erik Lamela. Overpriced, yes. very raw but very talented.

Thought that was pretty much a perfect summing up of our boy Erik.

Saw tweet from John Cross the goon loving Mirror journo who covered the Brighton game. He said something along the lines of:

I like Erik Lamela. Overpriced, yes. very raw but very talented.

Thought that was pretty much a perfect summing up of our boy Erik.

Yeah, he was over-priced for sure... some of it can be explained by the fact he is a very hyped Argentinan wonder kid who banged in a load of goals for a big Italian club I guess.

IMO Lamela's talent is not in question for me, it's there for everyone to see. Just a question of getting the right environment and set up (team-wise) for him to flourish in and iron out the clear raw aspects to parts of his game. I think Poch's clear confidence in the lad will only help too - he is clearly a confidence player at this stage in his career.

I mean just look at his productivity already this season - goals (3 is it now?) and assists (7/8??) are coming; and he's probably not even reached three quarters of his potential!!

Maybe second half of the season, and into the next season, we will see Erik Lamela tear up this league. That is my belief.

Yeah, he was over-priced for sure... some of it can be explained by the fact he is a very hyped Argentinan wonder kid who banged in a load of goals for a big Italian club I guess.

IMO Lamela's talent is not in question for me, it's there for everyone to see. Just a question of getting the right environment and set up (team-wise) for him to flourish in and iron out the clear raw aspects to parts of his game. I think Poch's clear confidence in the lad will only help too - he is clearly a confidence player at this stage in his career.

I mean just look at his productivity already this season - goals (3 is it now?) and assists (7/8??) are coming; and he's probably not even reached three quarters of his potential!!

Maybe second half of the season, and into the next season, we will see Erik Lamela tear up this league. That is my belief.

Is he over priced though? For what he's currently producing of course, but players are investments and when it comes to his value in 3-4 years time I can see him being worth far more than what we paid....

Is he over priced though? For what he's currently producing of course, but players are investments and when it comes to his value in 3-4 years time I can see him being worth far more than what we paid....

Yeah and I'm pretty sure that's how the club saw things as well.

To me its clear that the 'different philosophy' they quoted they wanted to go down when they sacked Redknapp was:

* Reduce the wage-bill
* Reduce the age of the squad
* Utilise the academy products more and develop younger talent more

They probably knew there would be a hit on performances in at the very least the short or medium term. I think they wanted to find a manager who wanted to build with this philosophy for the long-term gain.

I think they felt AVB was that man, but when there was friction over his targets like Moutinho, Hulk etc who were more Redknapp style premium wage and fee 'ready made player' packages, they probably felt they'd backed the wrong horse again.

Hopefully Poch is more on the board's wave-length.

There has been a divergence with the fan expectations though, i think when we spunked the Bale money on what were mostly unproven prospect raw-type players that needed a lot of coaching and patience, the fans got too excited and the dissapointment since has created a negative atmosphere.

I think the club realised we had a bloated squad with a lot of older and/or injury prone players on big wages and we needed to take a step-or-two back with the right man before things got better again.

I don't think teh club has managed fans expectations very well and htere hasn't been the openness and dialogue that could have prevented a lot of the negative press coverage and therefore negative feeling amongst fans.

I'm confident that Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli and Capoue can before very good players for us given the right development and time. Equally though there are question marks over our decision to buy Paulinho and Soldado IMO. Chiriches could go either way but clearly also has talent.

Yeah and I'm pretty sure that's how the club saw things as well.

To me its clear that the 'different philosophy' they quoted they wanted to go down when they sacked Redknapp was:

* Reduce the wage-bill
* Reduce the age of the squad
* Utilise the academy products more and develop younger talent more

They probably knew there would be a hit on performances in at the very least the short or medium term. I think they wanted to find a manager who wanted to build with this philosophy for the long-term gain.

I think they felt AVB was that man, but when there was friction over his targets like Moutinho, Hulk etc who were more Redknapp style premium wage and fee 'ready made player' packages, they probably felt they'd backed the wrong horse again.

Hopefully Poch is more on the board's wave-length.

There has been a divergence with the fan expectations though, i think when we spunked the Bale money on what were mostly unproven prospect raw-type players that needed a lot of coaching and patience, the fans got too excited and the dissapointment since has created a negative atmosphere.

I think the club realised we had a bloated squad with a lot of older and/or injury prone players on big wages and we needed to take a step-or-two back with the right man before things got better again.

I don't think teh club has managed fans expectations very well and htere hasn't been the openness and dialogue that could have prevented a lot of the negative press coverage and therefore negative feeling amongst fans.

I'm confident that Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli and Capoue can before very good players for us given the right development and time. Equally though there are question marks over our decision to buy Paulinho and Soldado IMO. Chiriches could go either way but clearly also has talent.

Your first point regarding the change in philosophy is an interesting one and I think you could be right in thinking that is Levy looking more medium-long term. I have had a feeling since the day Poch was appointed that he would be viewed as being coach for the long term unless something disastrous happens...

Similarly, I believe J-Rod has a 25% sell on fee to Burnley, so any price from Saints will likely be extortionately overpriced to compensate.

Sorry - slightly off topic

Yeah, at the end of the day in these situations you get to a ceiling point in price negotiations below which the selling club aren't going to budge. Its a call on our part or any buying club's part as to how to proceed from then on in.

We were probably given a final price for Lamela, weighed it up and decided to go for it.

I don't think we seriously thought he would be worth £26m plus add-ons as he is right now. What we were probably thinking and are still thinking is that if he continues his development at a similar rate to that shown at Roma, that we'd be able to sell for a Suarez/Bale like figure in a few seasons time.

Your first point regarding the change in philosophy is an interesting one and I think you could be right in thinking that is Levy looking more medium-long term. I have had a feeling since the day Poch was appointed that he would be viewed as being coach for the long term unless something disastrous happens...

Well its what Redknapp said to the Media when asked what Levy had said to him when he was sacked. He said he'd met with Levy and the people who owned the club and they had told him they wanted to go in a different direction.

To my mind that is ENIC have spent a lot of money on the academy and training centre and our youth teams by then were very competitive across all levels.

I'm pretty sure the club have known for a while that we had a very good academy crop coming through. They probably thought that for these players to flourish, they couldn't have the type of manager that wants to bring in his experienced 'top lads, great professionals' on big contracts and fill the team with 'now' players with little regard for the long-term future.

I'm not having a dig at Redknapp BTW, he's clearly our best manager of the PL era. It's an interesting debate about the pros and cons of focusing on the here and now, or having the patience to build for something in the future.

The thing is that you only have to look at the press coverage and fan melt-downs early doors this season to see you have to have a tough back to ride through on the 2nd strategy.

Levy's copping a lot of flak just now due to the on-pitch performances, and I hear time and again that we sold the crown jewells and replaced them with dross etc.

What we've actually done is reduced the wage bill, brought a lot of raw academy players into the first-team squad and supplemented them with quite a few younger, raw talents from the continent. We've then brought in a young manager who's agreed to work within these parameters.

Obviously the start of this process is not gonna be pretty. Typical example of this is Lamela, who is almost a representation of the current Tottenham: first-time Robana half-volley into the bottom corner one-minute, beating himself running down a blind-alley the next.

We're just going to have to be patient and hope that Levy is the same.

It could be that we'll have to do what Arsenal did when they built their stadium, depending on how the financing is put together. It's a good thing that we're already well under way and over the coming years will see one or two academy products break into the squad every season. Most of them will end up elsewhere, but hopefully we can make a little profit on them to put towards the buys we need to make.

Well its what Redknapp said to the Media when asked what Levy had said to him when he was sacked. He said he'd met with Levy and the people who owned the club and they had told him they wanted to go in a different direction.

To my mind that is ENIC have spent a lot of money on the academy and training centre and our youth teams by then were very competitive across all levels.

I'm pretty sure the club have known for a while that we had a very good academy crop coming through. They probably thought that for these players to flourish, they couldn't have the type of manager that wants to bring in his experienced 'top lads, great professionals' on big contracts and fill the team with 'now' players with little regard for the long-term future.

I'm not having a dig at Redknapp BTW, he's clearly our best manager of the PL era. It's an interesting debate about the pros and cons of focusing on the here and now, or having the patience to build for something in the future.

The thing is that you only have to look at the press coverage and fan melt-downs early doors this season to see you have to have a tough back to ride through on the 2nd strategy.

Levy's copping a lot of flak just now due to the on-pitch performances, and I hear time and again that we sold the crown jewells and replaced them with dross etc.

What we've actually done is reduced the wage bill, brought a lot of raw academy players into the first-team squad and supplemented them with quite a few younger, raw talents from the continent. We've then brought in a young manager who's agreed to work within these parameters.

Obviously the start of this process is not gonna be pretty. Typical example of this is Lamela, who is almost a representation of the current Tottenham: first-time Robana half-volley into the bottom corner one-minute, beating himself running down a blind-alley the next.

Thats pretty much how i see it.

To tie in with what Levy told HR.....i think Levy was looking for someone to see us through (and beyond) the building of the new stadium period. Levy knew this would be a financially prudent time and wanted a man who would work with bought in and academy talent while implementing these players in a club wide philosophy/system that could withstand comings and goings (eg selling on our star performers). Dare i say it but a bit Wenger like.

All the time hoping that we may just pick the right man and over acheive and/or strike on a good thing and punch above our weight in a dortmund/bilbao/a.madrid kind of way. Remember we cannot compete financially with the clubs above us, if we try to match them, we are really risking too much. This other way is long winded but could be argued for the greater good.

I suppose he even attempted this as far back with Ramos as Sevilla were just that type of team and a delight to watch.

And just to add i am prepared to give Poch (and Levy) as much time as they require (barring a complete disaster)

I wonder if that same journo who bitched about the rabona goal showing Lamela as being 1 footed will comment on the fact that he scored with his right the other night?

The amount Roma paid for him will have pushed the price up too (they paid quite a bit from memory).

The thing is, at least going by reports at the time, because of a combination of financial problems and them having just been relegated the fee Roma actually paid for him was probably significantly smaller than what they would have had to pay had River been in a solid position. That's how highly rated he was at the time.

I don't actually think he was all that overpriced. Remember we paid around £16m for Luka Modric, a non-goalscoring midfielder that had never played outside Croatia 6 years ago. Inflation in football since then, powered by the wealth of clubs like City, Chelsea, PSG etc and extraordinary talent of the kind Lamela has is always going to be expensive unless there are special circumstances (contracts, buyout clauses, clubs in severe financial problems etc). Real Madrid paid £25-30ish millions for Angel Di Maria 4 years ago and he was largely considered overpriced up until last season. When he actually realized his potential his price doubled from that initial fee.

I think people are a bit stuck on prices from the past. The fact is what we paid for Lamela really doesn't get you an established superstar these days. We spent our money on a very talented young player new to the league. 12 starts in the Premier League later and people are jumping to conclusions about him being overpriced or not, I really think it's way too soon.

I wonder if that same journo who bitched about the rabona goal showing Lamela as being 1 footed will comment on the fact that he scored with his right the other night?

Both goals came against weak opposition that nobody else will care about, so why would a journalist looking for attention make further comment?

Once he starts doing incredible things against quality opponents there will be more scrutiny but for the time being for anyone who isn't a Spurs fan, he has talent and can do things against weak opposition but why will people care until he's doing it on the regular against teams that mean something.

You should forward that to the club and get them to put it in tomorrow's match programme.

Excellent summary of the situation we are in.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has revealed his anger at Erik Lamela for keeping him waiting at half-time while he Argentinian was taking a toilet break during the 2-0 League Cup win over Brighton last night.

Lamela came on at the half-time, replacing Aaron Lennon, and soon put Spurs ahead in the 54th minute.

"I got angry about him [Lamela] being late because I was focused," the manager said.

"When we arrived at the dressing room they knew about Lennon’s injury so I wanted Lamela on.

"After that he went to go to the toilet and we had to wait for him to come out."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/mauricio-pochettino-angry-with-erik-lamela-for-halftime-toilet-break-9827917.html

Pochettino should not be criticizing players publicly. It was a small mater and he should have dealt with it privately instead of telling the media.

Back