• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Really concerned for Lamela he has showed flashes of brilliance but by and large he has been very poor. Gives the ball away almost at will and when there is an easy pass on to keep things ticking he holds on to it far too long. To me it seems like he is still used to Serie A where it is less physical and he gets more time on the ball. How long can we wait to see him produce the goods? He scored two great goals in midweek but even at that I thought he was quite poor aside from the goals.

A lot longer than the few starts he's had I hope!

There's a risk that Poch (under instructions or otherwise) spends too much time focusing on trying to get Lamela to fit in, at the expense of team performances, skewed formations, and opportunities for other players.

I think we can probably take it as read that Pochettino has had his card well marked by Levy on that score, to the effect that he considers it important that (£30m) Lamela is fitted successfully into the side.

I think we can probably take it as read that Pochettino has had his card well marked by Levy on that score, to the effect that he considers it important that (£30m) Lamela is fitted successfully into the side.

Sorry but I do think this theory that Lamela is being played because of how much he cost is wide of the mark. For all his apparent faults at the moment the boy clearly has more talent(not end product but talent) than most if not all in our team at the moment. With the exception of Kane its not like there's three or four players knocking on the door who could justifiably replace Lamela - Lennon, Townsend?

He's getting consistent game time in the PL for the very first time and thats the only way he's going to learn. In reality this is his first season at the club if we are being fair. If we are seeing the same issues this time next year, maybe then is the time to show a little concern. But now? Please....

Sorry but I do think this theory that Lamela is being played because of how much he cost is wide of the mark. For all his apparent faults at the moment the boy clearly has more talent(not end product but talent) than most if not all in our team at the moment. With the exception of Kane its not like there's three or four players knocking on the door who could justifiably replace Lamela - Lennon, Townsend?

He's getting consistent game time in the PL for the very first time and thats the only way he's going to learn. In reality this is his first season at the club if we are being fair. If we are seeing the same issues this time next year, maybe then is the time to show a little concern. But now? Please....

You don't think it's likely to be a matter of any concern to Levy? I do.

About the fact that his performances haven't been great? Im sure Baldini gave the lowdown to Levy before making him splash out such a fee that he was a young boy with talent and that he might take time to adapt. Im sure Levy doesn't need to even be told that. Of course he would rather Levy was performing to a consistently higher level right now but I dont think he'll be panicking at the moment, no....

I'm not suggesting he's panicking, or even that he has said explicitly, "play him or else". I'm suggesting it will have been made clear to Pochettino that Levy considers it important Lamela is a success, and that that has its own implications.

I'm not sure you can come to that conclusion if you look at the evidence. Paulinho and Soldado both cost almost as much as Lamela. Paulinho cant even get into the EL team, I don't see why he would be concerned that Lamela plays every game due to his price tag but not concerned that Paulinho is basically rotting in the reserves.

I'm not sure you can come to that conclusion if you look at the evidence. Paulinho and Soldado both cost almost as much as Lamela. Paulinho cant even get into the EL team, I don't see why he would be concerned that Lamela plays every game due to his price tag but not concerned that Paulinho is basically rotting in the reserves.

Personally, I'd say it's all the more reason why he'd be likely to place even greater importance on one of them coming good.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd say it's all more reason why he'd be likely to place even greater importance on one of them coming good.

Hmmmmmmmm Maybe, having read your second post I do agree that Levy may have asked Poch to place some kind of importance on Lamela's success. Although I don't think he will be 'concerned' about it just yet. If Lamela just doesn't cut it in this league it will boil down (yet again) to personalities. Poch will at some point (after a season at least of bedding in) have to say, 'look, he's not going to cut it, I can't play him anymore' and Levy will either say 'You are the manager, I hired you for your football understanding and I respect that you know more about it than I do' or 'I disagree, you're just not using him right, out the door you go'.

We all know his track record on this...........

Hmmmmmmmm Maybe, having read your second post I do agree that Levy may have asked Poch to place some kind of importance on Lamela's success. Although I don't think he will be 'concerned' about it just yet. If Lamela just doesn't cut it in this league it will boil down (yet again) to personalities. Poch will at some point (after a season at least of bedding in) have to say, 'look, he's not going to cut it, I can't play him anymore' and Levy will either say 'You are the manager, I hired you for your football understanding and I respect that you know more about it than I do' or 'I disagree, you're just not using him right, out the door you go'.

We all know his track record on this...........

Not really. This triggerhappy *******s that keeps getting repeated on here simply isn't true.

That doesn't mean he knows more about football than Redknapp

No, but he does know the value and potential of a player and he has people giving him advice and info.

In this specific case though, I don't think he would have done any more than ask for Lamela to be given a proper chance, not demanded that he plays as much as possible. Poch's job security being dependent on Lamela's success is just a ludicrous notion.

No, but he does know the value and potential of a player and he has people giving him advice and info.

That's not really the point I was trying to make though. Basically, in employing Poch he is saying 'I believe this man is the man to take the club forward' this time, it seems he has also said 'There are no top four targets, Poch has a year to evaluate the squad etc etc'.

So in a years time, if Poch comes back to him with news he doesn't want to hear, 'I.e Lamela will not cut it in this league' Levy can't then decide 'Poch is no longer the man to take this club forward' . Otherwise Levy might as well just manage the first team himself.

That's not really the point I was trying to make though. Basically, in employing Poch he is saying 'I believe this man is the man to take the club forward' this time, it seems he has also said 'There are no top four targets, Poch has a year to evaluate the squad etc etc'.

So in a years time, if Poch comes back to him with news he doesn't want to hear, 'I.e Lamela will not cut it in this league' Levy can't then decide 'Poch is no longer the man to take this club forward' . Otherwise Levy might as well just manage the first team himself.

A big part of Poch's task is to realise the potential from some of our squad. Hopefully the players he doesn't want are sent packing in the summer, even if we stand to lose a couple of million here and there. I don't think Lamela will be sold so quickly though, but we may have to wait another season or two for him to become the player we want to see. When someone is that young there's still time. The likes of Paulinho and Dembele are in their prime and not likely to improve that much.

A big part of Poch's task is to realise the potential from some of our squad. Hopefully the players he doesn't want are sent packing in the summer, even if we stand to lose a couple of million here and there. I don't think Lamela will be sold so quickly though, but we may have to wait another season or two for him to become the player we want to see. When someone is that young there's still time. The likes of Paulinho and Dembele are in their prime and not likely to improve that much.

I think so too. But if things don't work out and Poch turns round to DL after a couple of seasons and says 'Lamela just doesn't have the potential that you thought he did' or 'He will never reach the level we thought he would becasue of x, y and z' Levy has to take that on the chin if he truly believes that Poch is the guy to take the club forward.

Hopefully the above won't ever happen because Lamela will grow into the player we think he can.

I suppose only time will tell.

That doesn't mean he knows more about football than Redknapp

not to mention that when bale was being touted about for loans he was at his lowest confidence level ever. the loan would have helped him..as would BAE getting injured and harry moving him into a much more advanced position and handling him well enough to bring his confidence up (even brought bale on at at 4-0 to shatter the jinx)

Great players have an impact on games
Plenty of Talented players have talent but invariably not the ability to use it when required... And end up on you tube

He could go either way but my biggest concern is his lack of vision and reading of the game. I can only assume he has never watched any footage of his games because he would see how often he runs down blind alleys and takes way way too many touches when a simple pass would do the job in half the time

Really disappointed Lamela failed to impress against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. After the way he scored 2 brilliant goals against Asteras, he should have used the confidence and momentum to shine against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Back