• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I honestly think a lot of Spurs fans are guilty with confirmation bias with Lamela. He cost 30 Million, he's Argentinian and he's a pretty boy. And you just believe he's a great player based on this alone.

He wasn't just bad yesterday he was utterly dire - DIRE - and it's been typical of his performances since being at Spurs - the Premier League is just too quick and physical for him. In the Europa against weak opposition he gets a chance to indulge himself at the slower pace. I agree with Martin Keown, the Rabona goal was just completely self-indulgent. He plays with his Youtube highlights video in mind.

Time will tell but I believe the Lamela is duffer movement will grow amongst Spurs fans. I hope I am wrong. I hope he starts tearing it up soon, but I just don't see it.

^ It's funny because from where im sitting the only people who use his price tag as a way to judge him are those knocking him.

Really concerned for Lamela he has showed flashes of brilliance but by and large he has been very poor. Gives the ball away almost at will and when there is an easy pass on to keep things ticking he holds on to it far too long. To me it seems like he is still used to Serie A where it is less physical and he gets more time on the ball. How long can we wait to see him produce the goods? He scored two great goals in midweek but even at that I thought he was quite poor aside from the goals.

I honestly think a lot of Spurs fans are guilty with confirmation bias with Lamela. He cost 30 Million, he's Argentinian and he's a pretty boy. And you just believe he's a great player based on this alone.

He wasn't just bad yesterday he was utterly dire - DIRE - and it's been typical of his performances since being at Spurs - the Premier League is just too quick and physical for him. In the Europa against weak opposition he gets a chance to indulge himself at the slower pace. I agree with Martin Keown, the Rabona goal was just completely self-indulgent. He plays with his Youtube highlights video in mind.

Time will tell but I believe the Lamela is duffer movement will grow amongst Spurs fans. I hope I am wrong. I hope he starts tearing it up soon, but I just don't see it.

Ive been saying this too. Hew simply needs his own ball and space and time zone. I dont think he will adjust because of how he is as a player i.e. he likes playing at his own pace. Doesnt mean he is a bad or poor players but just someone who wont be suitable to this league.

Ive been saying this too. Hew simply needs his own ball and space and time zone. I dont think he will adjust because of how he is as a player i.e. he likes playing at his own pace. Doesnt mean he is a bad or poor players but just someone who wont be suitable to this league.

Well, that "could" be an adjustment

- he does expect a little more time on the ball than he gets
- he sometimes needs to take the simple option

That to me is one of those things that could click with playing time and he could become the player we all hope he will in the PL.

He is terrible at defending/tackling, so positionally the team needs to accommodate for that.

I have no problem playing him a lot (his talent and our investment means it's worth the risk), my issue is, if he's having an ineffective game, ****ing sub him out at 55/60 minutes ...

I think we are at a crossroads with a couple of players now Lamela is probably the most prime example one of those, but would include Chadli, Soldado & Capoue in that list aswell..

With last season written off Lamela has shown more this season than he did last so there is improvement there no question and Roma record shows he has talent along with performance's like Thursday.

That said we are not going to win the League this season or finish in the top 4 that being said we wont get relegated either.. Poch needs a year mould his team and style on the squad and use that to see if players will make it, if come May and we are still having the same discussion then fine there will be plenty of clubs in Italy or Spain that will take him off our hands. Give him game time let him learn and given the opportunity to learn the English game..

Hes not a lost cause but he will need the support of Poch and the team around him.. The press\sky want him to fail that's for sure but that rights stories 30m in 6 months if hes got 20 assists and 10 goals by the end of the season then they will be calling Poch a master stroke.. Personally I think we have bigger problems in this team the Eric Lamela, get Walker back fit, get Kaboul away from that first team, a new central midfielder in Jan different to the current crop and either find a way to motivate Ade or drop him completely and let Soldado follow the same chain of thought as Lamela let him prove his worth or go come next summer.. Whats killing us are the players that done give a rats, Ade, Vertonghen (although I rate him) Kaboul, Dembele to name a few

Well, that "could" be an adjustment

- he does expect a little more time on the ball than he gets
- he sometimes needs to take the simple option

That to me is one of those things that could click with playing time and he could become the player we all hope he will in the PL.

He is terrible at defending/tackling, so positionally the team needs to accommodate for that.

I have no problem playing him a lot (his talent and our investment means it's worth the risk), my issue is, if he's having an ineffective game, ****ing sub him out at 55/60 minutes ...

I think that is a fair comment. IMO he should be played in the centre of the three AM's as he gravitates to the centre anyway. To be fair he does not shy away from tracking and pressing side of things which is good but having the two CM's behind him would mean he would be more inclined to stay further up the pitch and away from more dangerous (for us) areas.

I think he will come good but he has a flaw to his game which actually permeates a lot of the players in the club, and that is holding the ball for too long. Ade, Dembele, Chadli, Townsend all are guilty of it though you could argue there are others. In pre-season there were signs of a quick pass and move game developing but that seems have evaporated sadly. Get a bit of chemistry going between the front 4-5 players and we'll all be creaming ourselves for the right reasons instead of having a consolation **** because we are playing badly. Even swapping in Soldado for Ade would help as he tends to make runs off the shoulder of the defenders and encourage passing in the channels.

I don't think Eriksen is there to provide width. If you look at Eriksen last season he played on the lef, cutting in and drawing away from his marker making him a nightmare for the opposition. I just think the game passes him by centrally. I'd like to see him there again, he was special

No absolutely, I see that, but I think it's as much about the player himself wanting to grow and take games by the scruff. a player of his talent should've been able to take yesterday's match. The front three behind Adebayor are arranged to switch off each other, and I want Eriksen demanding to be where he wants to be to take the game over. if that's central, then great. if that's from the left then great. But if he's going to be squeezed and out-muscled in all senses, then he needs to revert to a role which helps everyone IMO, and if he is on the left then he needs to at least provide some width positionally if he won't dominate any other way. At the moment we have two 'ball-players' in Eriksen and Lamela who are simply getting in each other's way. We are not fluid enough yet to play that tight behind a striker, and to your earlier point on injuries, with walker out we lack the ability to let full-backs bomb on.

In theory, and on paper, I see how Rose and Walker could supplement an Eriksen Lamela Chadli trio with Nobby up-top; if you have a Mason/Bentaleb midfield axis behind them, with one ready to drop in and cover at all times, then it could be wonderful. But we currently aren't making it happen.

A couple of them really need to grow up and become men out there IMO. Fulfill and not just 'exist' as 'mercurial' talent. Christian is young thus there is time, but for me it needs to happen this season...I would absolutely like to see Nail and Ryan together for a game or two to see how it would work. Both are hungry and both have come through our youth system. nail is, for me, a leader in making. they will offer more sweat for the shirt than Capoue, not to mention mobility.

It would help if Poch instructed him to stay out wide, hug the touchline a bit and then quickly get the ball to him so he can go one on one with the full back

All our attackers constantly going into the centre is bollox

If you want him to do that then you'd want him on the left, which is a bit like playing Lennon centrally. You also nullify Rose.

If you want him to do that then you'd want him on the left, which is a bit like playing Lennon centrally. You also nullify Rose.
No, we need to get Lamela isolated with the left back on the right. He has the pace and power to cause problems, of course he will more than likely come inside but from a wider position there will be more room for him to work with and he will be dangerous either shooting, or slipping in a pass between full back and centre back, or floating in a quick cross

At the moment, Rose provides the attacking width on the left, Eriksen should tuck in on the left like he did last season under Sherwood, and its on the wide right we need to open up some dangerous options. Lamela can do it, he can hug the touchline and cause problems

No, we need to get Lamela isolated with the left back on the right. He has the pace and power to cause problems, of course he will more than likely come inside but from a wider position there will be more room for him to work with and he will be dangerous either shooting, or slipping in a pass between full back and centre back, or floating in a quick cross

At the moment, Rose provides the attacking width on the left, Eriksen should tuck in on the left like he did last season under Sherwood, and its on the wide right we need to open up some dangerous options. Lamela can do it, he can hug the touchline and cause problems

He can't.

Chadli can however, which frees up Lamela to play his strongest role of AM

I'd prefer lamela to start ahead of eriksen, to help wear down the opposition. I think eriksen as an impact sub is better.

Given the fact our full-backs bombing on cannot really happen 'in balance' I think we might need to adapt accordingly. Lamela has a wondrous left-foot. If he were to play on the left, his mere presence on the ball there would create space for others to move into the channel. He has a unique ability to dribble from the left ON his left, and as such (again) he creates space. I think he is generally more comfortable there for us right now...it's a tough decision because both are skill players, but for me, right now, if played in the right place with a bit more space to roam, Lamela is there man especially with a Nobby or Kane in the set up (Nobby moves quickly, Kane drops into the 10 spot, Chadders moves up, Lamella gets roaming space)...

There's a risk that Poch (under instructions or otherwise) spends too much time focusing on trying to get Lamela to fit in, at the expense of team performances, skewed formations, and opportunities for other players.

It is a bit like a massive IT project that goes wrong, but because it costs so much money to that point, noone wants to admit it, so valuable resources are wasted continuing with the project, instead of investing in and pursuing a new solution. I don't know how much more slack Lamela is going to be cut, but it can't be too much. After all, you could tell almost immediately that Eriksen was going to transfer to the Premier Ok. I've never had that feeling with Lamela.

There's a risk that Poch (under instructions or otherwise) spends too much time focusing on trying to get Lamela to fit in, at the expense of team performances, skewed formations, and opportunities for other players.

It is a bit like a massive IT project that goes wrong, but because it costs so much money to that point, noone wants to admit it, so valuable resources are wasted continuing with the project, instead of investing in and pursuing a new solution. I don't know how much more slack Lamela is going to be cut, but it can't be too much. After all, you could tell almost immediately that Eriksen was going to transfer to the Premier Ok. I've never had that feeling with Lamela.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that as he is really only 9 games in. If you take this approach then I'd highlight kaboul and ade first, who probably are the top tier earners at the club.

Given the fact our full-backs bombing on cannot really happen 'in balance' I think we might need to adapt accordingly. Lamela has a wondrous left-foot. If he were to play on the left, his mere presence on the ball there would create space for others to move into the channel. He has a unique ability to dribble from the left ON his left, and as such (again) he creates space. I think he is generally more comfortable there for us right now...it's a tough decision because both are skill players, but for me, right now, if played in the right place with a bit more space to roam, Lamela is there man especially with a Nobby or Kane in the set up (Nobby moves quickly, Kane drops into the 10 spot, Chadders moves up, Lamella gets roaming space)...

Elementary, isn't it. Water probably runs deeper than we see, or poch is avb ii over complicating things a bit.

Back