• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I am a little worried

And neither have ever returned to that form. Parker had one year of brick and Huddlestone three. They will be easily replaced because as of last season they were not performing to a standard required to get top four.

It's not revisionism, it's just not living too far in the past.

Parker was only at the club two years. Last season he didn't play the entire season, and the half of season he did play Spurs demonstrated their best form of the campaign and he played well for the most part. There were a fair few Spurs fans who were moaning about Parker the year before last. I have little doubt you were one of them.

Huddlestone was also injured for a period of time. Last season he was OK, but nothing more. He didn't shine or disgrace himself and proved himself to be a valuable squad player.

So basically, your facts are wrong and why? Because you are a revisionist. :lol:

Jumpers, i am having trouble understanding how you have come to the conclusion that this is the best ever premiership spurs squad when you clearly have great reservations with 3 of our 4 new signings and are bemoaning the release of several others - any way you could spell it out for me a little better?

Sure.

Last season was our best ever squad.

This season we've added Soldado to it. We've spent big money on players in other areas. Whilst this is no guarantee for success, you have to trust and back the management and the management MUST believe these are upgrades on players they are willingly letting go.

We haven't lost any first team players yet.

Therefore the conclusion is, if last season was our best ever squad and the management feel they have strengthened the squad then this is the best squad we've ever assembled.

Parker was only at the club two years. Last season he didn't play the entire season, and the half of season he did play Spurs demonstrated their best form of the campaign and he played well for the most part. There were a fair few Spurs fans who were moaning about Parker the year before last. I have little doubt you were one of them.

Huddlestone was also injured for a period of time. Last season he was OK, but nothing more. He didn't shine or disgrace himself and proved himself to be a valuable squad player.

So basically, your facts are wrong and why? Because you are a revisionist. :lol:

I haven't said any facts, it's all opinion.

Parker was at the club two years yeah, he spent half the season injured and the second half was horrific. Even when he was at his 'best' it was because the team was being run around him by players who were significantly better.

He was injured for a while, however he had an injury free season last season and didn't show he was capable of repeating that form he had three years back.

It's not revisionism if that's how i saw it at the time
. What you seem to be saying is 'My opinion is fact and everyone else is wrong', which just makes you look a bit strange.

cheers, so individually you're not prepared to make a judgement on the players signed as they're 'unknown' quantities' but as a whole you're willing to take managements judgment?

how does that work exactly?

I haven't said any facts, it's all opinion.

Parker was at the club two years yeah, he spent half the season injured and the second half was horrific. Even when he was at his 'best' it was because the team was being run around him by players who were significantly better.

He was injured for a while, however he had an injury free season last season and didn't show he was capable of repeating that form he had three years back.

It's not revisionism if that's how i saw it at the time
. What you seem to be saying is 'My opinion is fact and everyone else is wrong', which just makes you look a bit strange.

And there we have it.

cheers, so individually you're not prepared to make a judgement on the players signed as they're 'unknown' quantities' but as a whole you're willing to take managements judgment?

how does that work exactly?

Absolutely, I have a lot of faith in our management and I doubt they'd spend £17m on a replacement if they didn't think he was as good as the player they were willing to release.

I am not sure what the driver behind your questions is?

As for how it works? That's simple. I think people at the club know more than I do. I'll trust their judgement over mine every time.

Absolutely, I have a lot of faith in our management and I doubt they'd spend £17m on a replacement if they didn't think he was as good as the player they were willing to release.

I am not sure what the driver behind your questions is?

As for how it works? That's simple. I think people at the club know more than I do. I'll trust their judgement over mine every time.

but you have been questioning the *upgrades* on Parker and Huddelstone?

Not questioning. I am cautious about them. People are on here are saying they are definitely upgrades. I am saying we don't know yet. Is that a problem for you?

not at all, in fact id say it's a wise stance to take, if not a little too damped down for my liking - i was just curious as to how someone can be so cautious over players coming in, yet so emphatically declare the squad to be our best ever only days before - logic imv would dictate such claims would not be made by someone with such an approach

not at all, in fact id say it's a wise stance to take, if not a little too damped down for my liking - i was just curious as to how someone can be so cautious over players coming in, yet so emphatically declare the squad to be our best ever only days before - logic imv would dictate such claims would not be made by someone with such an approach

It's not a contradictory approach. The squad is over many positions. Ask me have we improved the central midfield of the squad? My answer is, I don't know. Ask me whether we have improved the squad elsewhere, I will say yes. Even if Soldado flops the fact that we now have three professional strikers who have played pretty much top flight football all their careers is an improvement on only having two last season. On a mathematical basis alone, we have improved on the squad last season and last season's squad was the best ever.

It's not a contradictory approach. The squad is over many positions. Ask me have we improved the central midfield of the squad? My answer is, I don't know. Ask me whether we have improved the squad elsewhere, I will say yes. Even if Soldado flops the fact that we now have three professional strikers who have played pretty much top flight football all their careers is an improvement on only having two last season. On a mathematical basis alone, we have improved on the squad last season and last season's squad was the best ever.

you keep saying this so i'll bite - how's that then? how can a first team lose it's two most important players and the squad 4 or 5 proven quality players and improve with the players we signed that summer?

and we'll have to agree to disagree on the other stuff because : strikers we're a man up - center mid we can't judge yet, Chadli >< Dempsey we can't judge either and in central defense we are a man down. so to me that's a stalemate (by your logic)

You're right, you are quite funny. :lol:

you keep saying this so i'll bite - how's that then?

and we'll have to agree to disagree on the other stuff because : strikers we're a man up - center mid we don't yet Chadli >< Dempsey we can't judge either and in central defense we are a man down. so to me that's a stalemate (by your logic)

Kaboul's return negates Caulker's and Gallas's departure, as does the arrival of our new utility man.

We had a great team last season. Not the best balanced team, but possibly the best Premiership team we've had. And that was just the first team. The depth we had in the squad last season was superb.

Goalkeepers - we had 4 quality keepers, including what I believe to be the best keeper in the league.

Full backs - We had Naughton back who can play either side, as well as Verts would could fill in at left back. Much approved on recent seasons.

Centre halves - 4 very good centre backs to fill 2 positions, and that excludes the injured Kaboul.

Wide right - The weak area from last season, but at least we had Sigurdsson who is comfortable over there which is something we lacked the season before.

Central midfield - The fact Sandro got injured and we barely missed him states it all to me. Two of our back up players were regulars in two top four Spurs sides. Other than keeper, this was our strongest squad area last year.

Wide left - Bale obviously is a fantastic talent. The signing of Dempsey and Sigurdsson, both capable of playing there also, meant we had a very strong left side.

Up front - Only two recognised forwards wasn't great, but Bale then filled in nicely and Dempsey could play up top too so although it wasn't ideal it was adequate.

well Jumpers i don't agree but fair enough if that's how you saw things.

11/12 is my pick for best starting XI as well as overall squad

Arnie/Billy
I am old school and what's pleased me over the last few years is our team spirit, we have got out of many a tight spot and the players are a very happy lot together, how can anyone even suggest that the dressing room will be the same now, everybody here that has played a team sport will know how important it is to play for your mates.

Chadli has spoken of how having two countrymen at the club has helped him settle and it certainly looks like Paulinho and Sandro are good buddies. Soldado and Capoue both seem like hard working, talented individuals that take their football seriously as well, so I think they'll fit in just fine. We had a much bigger changeover last summer and even those that weren't regular starters have spoken well of AVB (Siggy, Hudd).

Chadli has spoken of how having two countrymen at the club has helped him settle and it certainly looks like Paulinho and Sandro are good buddies. Soldado and Capoue both seem like hard working, talented individuals that take their football seriously as well, so I think they'll fit in just fine. We had a much bigger changeover last summer and even those that weren't regular starters have spoken well of AVB (Siggy, Hudd).

Last season if we were 2-0 down with 15 minutes to go I used to think we can still win this, I did not think that even with the double side, this spirit is built up in a group of players overs a period of time and I am not sure that foreign players have this, someone said to me recently that the only team in the past that have done this are Arsenal with their French nucleus, both Utd and Chelsea have succeeded with a British core, a prime example of this failing is City, I obviously have watched us over many years and since Jol we have had this spirit and these recent wholesale changes to our squad leaves me " a little worried ".

Last season if we were 2-0 down with 15 minutes to go I used to think we can still win this, I did not think that even with the double side, this spirit is built up in a group of players overs a period of time and I am not sure that foreign players have this, someone said to me recently that the only team in the past that have done this are Arsenal with their French nucleus, both Utd and Chelsea have succeeded with a British core, a prime example of this failing is City, I obviously have watched us over many years and since Jol we have had this spirit and these recent wholesale changes to our squad leaves me " a little worried ".

Was this something you felt was new last season? After signing 6 non-British players in the summer transfer window?

Last summer we signed captains from Ajax and Lyon, LLoris is also the French captain. Dempsey was the vice captain for the US and Holtby captains the Germany u21 side. If we're talking about attitude I think some of these purchases have been steps in the right direction compared to some of our previous British players.

We've continued against this summer I think, although perhaps to a lesser degree. Soldado was the vice captain behind Albelda at Valencia I've read, something that more or less meant that he was wearing the armband every game. Both Paulinho and Capoue have been praised for their attitude when we've signed them.

Back