• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I am a little worried

Surely being worried is what being a Spurs fan is all about. I don't want that certainty that the ref will get us out of trouble and the FA will arrange the cup draws for us.

we're not making signings for the sake of it Jimmy - we are improving the team/squad, i can see the angle that it's *potentially* a lot of new faces this summer and it may take some time for them to gel fully - but id take that over continuing with the same squad as last season and only a couple of additions/replacements - in the hope that we have built a better more balanced squad.

that's the goal at the end of the day - to build the best squad possible, if we can do that in a small amount of time surely that's of benefit to us as in our position (outside the top 4) we can't really waste time

That is the main issue, and remains to be seen.

Arnie/Billy
I am old school and what's pleased me over the last few years is our team spirit, we have got out of many a tight spot and the players are a very happy lot together, how can anyone even suggest that the dressing room will be the same now, everybody here that has played a team sport will know how important it is to play for your mates.

i can see it perfectly well

I hope you're right. We have fans talking about us being genuine title contenders. Personally I still think we need a left back and a number 10.

Soldado may be the next Torres or the next Morientes. Is he an upgrade on Adebayor? My Spanish friends say no, but then they didn't see the Adebayor of last season.

Paulinho isn't the number 10 we need. So I am assuming that he will be replacing Dembele or Sandro in the team and we'll purchase another player to replace Bale if Bale leaves.

Chadli is purchased so that he can play wide left, and that Bale can move into the centre for good. Will Chadli be an upgrade out there on Dempsey/Sigurdsson? Not sure to be honest, but I do think Chadli is our short term solution.

point being - how can you make the call that it's our best ever premiership squad when you're also saying that we can't rate the new signings at this point?

it's the best ever squad yet at the same time you're also grumbling about squad players being replaced by unknown quantities

make you're mind up son

point being - how can you make the call that it's our best ever premiership squad when you're also saying that we can't rate the new signings at this point?

Depth and the signings we've made do have pedigree. My point isn't whether they are good signings, it's whether they are better than what we have in the current first team OR better than the players we let go. We had a great squad last season (our best ever) and simply by adding Soldado we strengthened it considerably. Chadli as well because we finally have someone who can naturally fill in for Lennon. Have we improved central midfield squad depth? No.

Depth and the signings we've made do have pedigree. My point isn't whether they are good signings, it's whether they are better than what we have in the current first team OR better than the players we let go. We had a great squad last season (our best ever) and simply by adding Soldado we strengthened it considerably. Chadli as well because we finally have someone who can naturally fill in for Lennon. Have we improved central midfield squad depth? No.

well you obviously think so if you're proclaiming the squad the best ever - it must be better than last season in that case so the players signed must be better, in your opinion, than the ones which have left - otherwise how do you draw the conclusion we have improved the squad so much?

and as for last season being our best ever squad at that point ... well i don't even know where to begin with that one

You don't think that Capoue and Paulinho are an upgrade on Parker and Hudd?

Arnie/Billy
I am old school and what's pleased me over the last few years is our team spirit, we have got out of many a tight spot and the players are a very happy lot together, how can anyone even suggest that the dressing room will be the same now, everybody here that has played a team sport will know how important it is to play for your mates.

Team spirit is based on form though, if you win your team spirit will be perfectly fine.

If you lose it is more challenging, but I don't think Parker has become the heart of our team spirit over the past two years, although Huddlestone might mean the Physio room have a lot of time on their hands..

And why does different have to mean bad? Do you know what kind of people Capoue/Chadli/Paulinho/Soldado are?

Last edited:
Arnie/Billy

you seem to be focusing on one point and letting it override all the others, looking at it as though the worst possible scenario comes to fruition

he hasn't seen them play, along with Chadli (presumably) so he can't say as they are unknown quantities - but even though three quarters of our new signings are such mystery men he can still see enough to say that our squad has not only improved on last season - it's also the very best squad we've had in the premiership era. he must really rate Soldado

At present, I am saying we don't know. Parker and Huddlestone both featured as regulars in Spurs sides that finished 4th. I feel their contribution, and their ability, is being drastically rewritten on this forum as to make them easily replaced. I believe they are both better players than some of the revisionists on this forum are making out and it's going to take two very good players to replace them.

he hasn't seen them play, along with Chadli (presumably) so he can't say as they are unknown quantities - but even though three quarters of our new signings are such mystery men he can still see enough to say that our squad has not only improved on last season - it's also the very best squad we've had in the premiership era. he must really rate Soldado

I do, he is a fantastic talent.

I admit that. I wager most on this forum haven't. At present I'd play 442 and the only new signing that gets into my preferred XI is Soldado in front of Defoe.

At present, I am saying we don't know. Parker and Huddlestone both featured as regulars in Spurs sides that finished 4th. I feel their contribution, and their ability, is being drastically rewritten on this forum as to make them easily replaced. I believe they are both better players than some of the revisionists on this forum are making out and it's going to take two very good players to replace them.

And neither have ever returned to that form. Parker had one year of brick and Huddlestone three. They will be easily replaced because as of last season they were not performing to a standard required to get top four.

It's not revisionism, it's just not living too far in the past.

Jumpers, i am having trouble understanding how you have come to the conclusion that this is the best ever premiership spurs squad when you clearly have great reservations with 3 of our 4 new signings and are bemoaning the release of several of our squad players - any way you could spell it out for me a little better because i don't quite see it?

Back