• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Anyone slagging AVB for not dropping Friedel is a pure hater.

The fact the French media are getting their French undies in a twist makes me all the more likely to back him. Lloris can get in line.

There is no such thing as building for the future long term. It's a footballing myth. It's all about doing well in the here and now. That leads to success. Sacrificing the present for the future never works.

Bottom line if Friedel is playing well, you leave him in. Lloris comes in and takes time to adjust to the Premiership and as a result we end up with less points than if Friedel played and miss out on Champion's League as a result? It would be a catastrophic managerial decision that could set us back years.

It is a very, very tough decision. I think you're right in one sense, unequivocally so in fact. In another sense, IF he was signed on the assurances that he would be our #1 and if it was NOT explained that this might not be until next season, then I'd say AVB has placed himself in a pickle jar anyway. It's tough, because I agree with all you say in boldface, but if we look like we might lose Lloris in january because he was told one thing which hasn't transpired, then it becomes a different issue. I'd be inclined to make the decision myself, but absolutely agree it would leave you open to pot-shots if it all goes tits up, as well as giving you some squad management issues. Nice not being the manager!

Anyone slagging AVB for not dropping Friedel is a pure hater.

The fact the French media are getting their French undies in a twist makes me all the more likely to back him. Lloris can get in line.

I absolutely agree with MLK, Southcote and you on how well Friedel is doing, and that he deserves the shirt.
Personally, I'd find it a horrible decision to make because I genuinely am not sure what I would do were I to have Lloris unhappy and looking for an out in Jan. I think/hope you're right that it is French media and their undies...I'm not so sure I even agree with myself in the above post in a couple of senses...very very tough...I actually think since Lloris signed, Friedel has got even better, and Sunday was (for me) his best game of the season.

i agree with that, obviously i've not always watched him week in week out but I don't recall him ever being in form like this, even in his purple patches at Blackburn and Villa he dropped the odd gonad* (mostly against us it has to be said)

it reminds me of when we signed Bentley, Lennon got a yard quicker and learnt how to cross overnight, competition for places really sharpens things up

Tell the truth, how many of you were secretly hoping for a Friedel fudge up? Not a Gomes style howler that leads to a goal, but just something significant enough that you can definitively point to, hang your hat on and say it's time for Lloris now.

Maybe a flap at a cross, a poor clearance straight to the opposition...

This is a crazy situation but I'm with AVB on this, you simply can't just drop a guy that's playing well. It sends the wrong message.

Friedel to stay in for the time being

In no shape or form did I hope, but me and probably a few million more were certainly out on "Friedel-watch". Even if he must surely suspect that he will be benched the second he so much as breathes in the wrong direction, he pulls out one solid performance after another. That is mental strenght for you right there, there is no substitute for experience. But I really hope that Lloris will stick around anyway, in hope that we can find our own long-serving top-class keeper again. I especially like the way Lloris commands the box vocally, and he has a safe grip.

And even though it would be highly unfair to drop Friedel, there is no law against upgrading your car even though there is nothing wrong with the old one. You don't have to drive it all the way until it breaks down. The new one isn't necessarily better, but it's shinier and has more milage in it. But Brad for now, no doubt.

Last edited:
Loris ain't going anywhere. If he has to wait a while so be it. The other 3 keepers are all out of contract next June

AVB is absolutely making the right call by sticking by Friedel. He's done nothing to deserve being dropped. I know some Spurs fans are desperate to see Lloris, and that's understandable, but it would send out a terrible message to the squad by dropping Brad now. Lloris will get his chance eventually.

Still braying on about it on Five Live this evening. 'he was assured first team football when he signed' fudging French journos are tossers. Even more so than our lot!!

AVB is absolutely making the right call by sticking by Friedel. He's done nothing to deserve being dropped. I know some Spurs fans are desperate to see Lloris, and that's understandable, but it would send out a terrible message to the squad by dropping Brad now. Lloris will get his chance eventually.

Again, while I understand the general reasoning, I'm not sure it stands up (mentioned it in the JD thread).

- Brad is a good steady keeper, we bought a keeper we believe is better, why or how long should we wait?

put another way

- Let's say Lennon was on a blazing run of form and we bought Ronaldo (CR), would we wait till Lennon had a brick game?

Ad in the additional fact that this is likely Brad's last season for us, I think as long as Lloris is comfortable with the team and tactics, he should transition to #1 very quickly.

I really don't understand what is going on there. When Walker got into the team everybody here was saying that we should give him game times as he is the future and drop Corluka (exactly not replace Walker once Corluka was fit again) even if he was a much better player than Walker (who wasn't playing well at the time). Here it is let stick with BF even if we know that HL is the future. Personally I think that the journos are completely at fault here (french and british), the best keepers should play end of. If Lloris is the best keeper during all week at training and he saw BF walk into the team come saturday I expect him to be angry and to resent the managing team in the long term. Keepers are like other players, the best during training should play.
That say BF has been pretty solid last game, certainly not MoM as the 2 saves he has done were 2 I expect a premier league keeper to do whithout fuss.

I think the fact that Friedel has the record for consecutive games in the EPL adds to any injustice in some fan's minds. It is a toughie and perhaps the media are making it sound worse than it is? I do want to see Lloris but I don't think it's fair to drop Friedel.

That said; if Lloris is the sweeper-keeper that AVB wants in his formation and if he believes would improve us, then that would be justification IMO.

Let Lloris play the cup games and it will just be a matter of time. As I've said before, it won't be Friedel losing his spot, but Lloris winning it.

Fridel was at fault for the goal against QPR - again, reluctant to come off his goal-line (shocker!)

Average distribution throughout the game

Made 2 saves which were shots straight at him. Wowzer.

He's a solid keeper who still has loads to offer somewhere in the PL - Lloris is the better keepr and will be starting as #1 by the end of October.

I couldn't give a flying fudge about his little streak - best man for the job and nothing less

Most people take this as an attack on Brad and an apparent insinuation he isn't good enough. That is certainly not the case - Lloris is simply better

Last edited:
Fridel was at fault for the goal against QPR - again, reluctant to come off his goal-line (shocker!)

He's a solid keeper who still has loads to offer somewhere in the PL - Lloris is the better keepr and will be starting as #1 by the end of October.

I couldn't give a flying fudge about his little streak - best man for the job and nothing less

Most people take this as an attack on Brad and an apparent insinuation he isn't good enough. That is certainly not the case - Lloris is simply better

At fault for the QPR goal:ross::ross::ross::ross:

His saves were straight at him :ross:

Holiett's and Granero's (?) shot from wide left were straight at him - watch the highlights again. How is that even an argument

He made a good reflex save from Hill's header earlier in the game

He was too slow off his line to intercept Zamora - Faurlin's ball was slow enough for him to read it in time and still come out safely - he only started 'moving' when Zamora was about the pull the triger. He didn't / couldn't read Faurlin's pass.

http://windycoys.blogspot.co.uk/

Holiett's and Granero's (?) shot from wide left were straight at him - watch the highlights again. How is that even an argument

He made a good reflex save from Hill's header earlier in the game

He was too slow off his line to intercept Zamora - Faurlin's ball was slow enough for him to read it in time and still come out safely - he only started 'moving' when Zamora was about the pull the triger. He didn't / couldn't read Faurlin's pass.

http://windycoys.blogspot.co.uk/

Sorry Arc, you are simply wrong on this one. I was right behind the shot that was hit hard and low and angling just inside the far post, Brads save was excellent down low to his left just in time. No way was this "straight at him". It kept us in the game.

Also, I dont see how he can possibly be blamed for the goal.

Agree with most of this. Love brad but i do not believe Lloris would be worse between the sticks. At this point of his career brad is only a stop gap, we should kick on with lloris and start looking forward. Feels like we're stalling and just waiting for brad to fudge up at the moment which doesnt help anyone

Sorry Arc, you are simply wrong on this one. I was right behind the shot that was hit hard and low and angling just inside the far post, Brads save was excellent down low to his left just in time. No way was this "straight at him". It kept us in the game.

Will try and take a caption when I'm home later - they showed a replay from an aerial-like camera and the shot from wide left was absolutely dead-on centre (presuming we're talking about the same instance here)

He shared some of the blame for not reading Faurlin' pass and coming out earlier - have a look at that link, mate

Last edited:

I won't blame him for the goal, but it was far from impossible to save. He went down to early, if he'd have stayed upright a bit more the shot would have hit him in the chest. It's like wenger said after the walker goal last year. I won't critizise him for it, but at the same time you can't applaud him for the job either.

At fault for the QPR goal:ross::ross::ross::ross:

His saves were straight at him :ross:

i know. Totally agreed with your reaction

the irony is that with that kind of criticism on someone people have the nerve to give an 8 for doing nothing more than a run of the mill prem level solid job.

very odd logic to make a point that shots are directly at someone. almost as if he wants the shots to be in the top corner at 100 miles per hour before friedel can be given his dues.

am gonna have another look at that QPR goal

Back