• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Which is stupid really, in my mind, because looking at the longer term picture, Lloris will get unsettled because he isn't in the first team and Deschamps will be putting pressure on him and then it is more likely that Lloris will want to move when a big club comes in. Lloris would likely think that we didn't treat him that well when he arrived and as such he would owe us nothing. I know I'm coming in against the grain on a few issues but this is what a forum is about, exchanging and expressing opinions.

You seem to be drawing conclusions about what will happen in the future based on very little evidence.

First of all you don't know how long Lloris will be on the bench, secondly you don't know how he's responding or how much he will feel about us in the future.

is there no way we could have come to an official agreement with Lyon and Lloris for his transfer to be completed next summer??

Friedel, Gomes and Cudicini could have remained here till next summer and the Lloris and another keeper could have arrived.

I dont see Friedel making any kind of errors which will mean AVB has the excuse to drop him. Friedel is super solid and reliable so Lloris has a long season ahead of him on the bench with the odd cup game and european games as his salvation

Tell the truth, how many of you were secretly hoping for a Friedel fudge up? Not a Gomes style howler that leads to a goal, but just something significant enough that you can definitively point to, hang your hat on and say it's time for Lloris now.

Maybe a flap at a cross, a poor clearance straight to the opposition...

This is a crazy situation but I'm with AVB on this, you simply can't just drop a guy that's playing well. It sends the wrong message.

Friedel to stay in for the time being

I would never hope that one of our players fudged up, but instead, I would hope that the manager would pick the player of my choice. If the manager doesn't, then that's his call but it best be the right call if he wants to avoid pressure. Wanting Friedal to fudge up would be no different to wanting Defoe to waste the chances that he was presented with and I can't see why anyone would really want that.

Whilst I can understand AVB sticking with Friedal because of his previous saves, I do question why, when it is obvious that Lloris is a better goalkeeper, that Lloris isn't brought in as the first choice goalkeeper. Does that mean that if we signed Cristiano Ronaldo, for example, we would be telling him that he couldn't play as Striker as Defoe was doing ok? JOKE!

What? How is this even close to similiar to the situation with Friedel/Lloris? Stop playing favorites, Lloris plays when he's good and ready. In the meantime, how about appreciating the fact that we have two brilliant goalkeepers fighting for the spot, instead of having to whine about Gomes or Cudicini?
If Lloris can't accept that Friedel is in great form right now then he's not really cut out for professional football anyway, but anyone who thinks that Lloris wasn't brought here to be Friedel heir and that he won't be because he hasn't played two of the three games he's been available needs to get a grip.

is there no way we could have come to an official agreement with Lyon and Lloris for his transfer to be completed next summer??

Friedel, Gomes and Cudicini could have remained here till next summer and the Lloris and another keeper could have arrived.

I dont see Friedel making any kind of errors which will mean AVB has the excuse to drop him. Friedel is super solid and reliable so Lloris has a long season ahead of him on the bench with the odd cup game and european games as his salvation

2 games in. The season is very young yet.

For me AVB should at the very least be given the benefit of the doubt to see what his plan is here before jumping to a conclusion that this signing was a bad idea.

Tell the truth, how many of you were secretly hoping for a Friedel fudge up? Not a Gomes style howler that leads to a goal, but just something significant enough that you can definitively point to, hang your hat on and say it's time for Lloris now.

This is a crazy situation but I'm with AVB on this, you simply can't just drop a guy that's playing well. It sends the wrong message.

but knowing that Lloris was bought at a premium...how long would you giev it till you start to think yourself

"i dont know man, am starting to feel for this guy"

Is freidel you NUMBER 1 ? As in, he is the first choice keeper to lose the shirt?

Would you consider a rotation policy on goal keepers?

Difference between Ronaldo and Defoe and Lloris and Friedel is that their positions are completely different.

In every single football match you will see strikers being substituted for each other so Ronaldo could come on for Defoe and could possibly earn his starting place for the next game. Goalkeepers rarely get subbed unless they are having an absolute mooey. So whereas Defoe would come on for Adebayor last season and get some game time, Lloris will never get any minutes because you dont sub a goalkeeper.

The only way Lloris will get in the team is if Friedel does an absolute clanger or gets injured and lets face it these are more than likely not going to happen.

Whilst I can understand AVB sticking with Friedal because of his previous saves, I do question why, when it is obvious that Lloris is a better goalkeeper, that Lloris isn't brought in as the first choice goalkeeper. Does that mean that if we signed Cristiano Ronaldo, for example, we would be telling him that he couldn't play as Striker as Defoe was doing ok? JOKE!

Deary me. Im glad you understand that AVB is sticking with BF because of form. Because that should be the ONLY reason (bar injury) he makes a change in that position. Both keepers, if of any substance, will know that this is how football works. The risk for AVB of employing any other method is the impression it could send to the rest of the squad beyond the keepers. If someone is treated unfairly it is only natrual for there to be sympathisers, and in turn the doubt and division could begin.

How is it obvious that Lloris is the better keeper? (are you picking up Canal+ down Southampton way?) He could well be, and his time will come. And when trying to illustrate a point it is best not to pick an extreme example which bears no comparison to your own.
Supporters with an agenda to bomb BF better hope that it works out, just incase things don't work out and we have to start doing the backstroke

Last edited:
To Africanspurs,

Right now Friedel is my no.1, even though Lloris is the better keeper and the future.

I don't believe in goalkeeper rotation. Unless it's league vs Cup.

I think after a couple more league games then we bring Lloris in no matter what.

After this point, Lloris would have integrated himself in the UK, with the team, gotten used to premiership tactics. And also most importantly, in training he would have had a good period of time to show everyone (coaches and teammates) how good he is, to the point where it's blatantly obvious he is better than Friedel. That way it then becomes far easier to drop Friedel for him.

To Africanspurs,

Right now Friedel is my no.1, even though Lloris is the better keeper and the future.

I don't believe in goalkeeper rotation. Unless it's league vs Cup.

I think after a couple more league games then we bring Lloris in no matter what.

After this point, Lloris would have integrated himself in the UK, with the team, gotten used to premiership tactics. And also most importantly, in training he would have had a good period of time to show everyone (coaches and teammates) how good he is, to the point where it's blatantly obvious he is better than Friedel. That way it then becomes far easier to drop Friedel for him.

so two MOM performances in a row from friedel...do you still drop him straight away or is that enough for a stay of execution?

what worries me is that friedel isnt going to get injured and he isnt going to play badly anytime soon a which stage him getting dropped is bad no matter the scenario....

the knock on effect ten raises the issue.........how do you justify not playing someone that you paid good money for with the intention of being a first teamer?

I agree wit you though...at some point Lloris needs to get league games no matter what the situation is .........i think that it'll be a combination of Lloris playing successive solid / good games in conjunction with friedel being 'run of te solid mill' that brings the opportunity of changing the guard.....this thing has caught fire unfortunately so there is no way out of it witout serious negative spin

If AVB was looking for a Friedel fudge up to drop him or something, or a reason to he'd of dropped him already just based on his distribution. I like Friedel, you kind of forget that he is 41 because of his reflexes and how good he is when it comes to saving shots that are low, He's a great goalkeeper and seems like a great pro, I'd love for him to stick around when he retires.

Lloris providing competition for Friedel is great, as it means both keepers have to really prove to AVB why they should play.

Lloris providing competition for Friedel is great, as it means both keepers have to really prove to AVB why they should play.

Good point.

In a similar fashion, when Benny gets fit, he'll know there is more quality in his position then there was previously, Verts looked terrific at LB and Naughton looks very capable also.

Good point.

In a similar fashion, when Benny gets fit, he'll know there is more quality in his position then there was previously, Verts looked terrific at LB and Naughton looks very capable also.

True, but Verts won't keep Bae out. He'll just move back into the centre.

Honestly?

I think AVB is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Friedel has been great this season, but seriously, Lloris needs to be brought in very soon and established simply because he is potentially the future of the club for the next decade+...it's horrible, very very tough, but that's why managers are paid big money. Friedel, IMHO, should back down gracefully. Sometimes you have to take a long-term viewpoint on things. Because let's face it, Friedel is going to retire/go for a swansong at the end of the season. I'd take the plunge and hasten that to January. Lloris is the future and we need to embrace that...

Honestly?

I think AVB is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Friedel has been great this season, but seriously, Lloris needs to be brought in very soon and established simply because he is potentially the future of the club for the next decade+...it's horrible, very very tough, but that's why managers are paid big money. Friedel, IMHO, should back down gracefully. Sometimes you have to take a long-term viewpoint on things. Because let's face it, Friedel is going to retire/go for a swansong at the end of the season. I'd take the plunge and hasten that to January. Lloris is the future and we need to embrace that...

There is no such thing as building for the future long term. It's a footballing myth. It's all about doing well in the here and now. That leads to success. Sacrificing the present for the future never works.

Bottom line if Friedel is playing well, you leave him in. Lloris comes in and takes time to adjust to the Premiership and as a result we end up with less points than if Friedel played and miss out on Champion's League as a result? It would be a catastrophic managerial decision that could set us back years.

Honestly?

Of course. Start Friedel and he makes a mistake and people here will have a go and the press will ask questions. Start Lloris and he makes a mistake and people here will have a go and the press will ask questions.

Since no goalkeeper is infallible it's pretty much bound to happen.

Not me! I think AVB is 100% right with how he is dealing with this situation. If the competition is driving Friedel, then long may it continue.

Back