• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Peter Schmeichel, Oliver Kahn, Ray Clemence, Neville Southall, Buffon, Peter Cech pre helmet...tremendous keepers. Always felt that Grobelaar and Gomes were the same man in different eras too...

I think buying Lloris in this transfer window was a big mistake especially if we had no plan to start him immediately. He is no.1 for Lyon and France. He is not going to accept being no.2 to a 41 year old goalkeeper. We should have waited until January. I think Lloris deserve to be our No.1 goalie as he comes with a proven quality and is much younger. Eventhough Friedel doesn't make many mistakes but his reflexes is getting slow. I am convinced a younger goalie like Gomes and Lloris would have saved the goals we conceded against Norwich, WBA and Reading.

One game...

He's been on the bench for one game.

That was the first game he was available for, when he had only been with the team for a couple of days because of the international break.

There will be another 16 games just in the Premiership before January, how about giving AVB until mid-October before judging this transfer as "a big mistake"? Maybe even November.

Iker Casillas is one of my favourite players ever, behind Zidane of course...(best player to ever grace the game)

Theres no doubt Casillas hasnt been the same for 2/3 years. But at his peak he was untouchable.

The guy will go down as an absolute legend at Real too. At just 31 years old, which is still young for a keeper, he has amassed 632 appearances...crazy.

Fully expect him to breach the 1000 mark

The best 'keeper I've ever seen (and yes, I am biased) is undoubtably one Patrick Antony Jennings (OBE), who (in my mind) had everything a world class 'keeper needs:

1. The ability to read the game.
2. Predicting the flight of a ball
3. Great relflexes
4. Brave and courageous
5. Commanding presence
6. The ability to catch a corner with one hand!
7. Great distribution
8. And a passion for the club, which is a strong today as it was when he signed for us in 1964!

As for Hugo (he says, slowly trying to get back on track), I am positive that he will be our number 1 for years to come, unless an Italian "Old Lady" (Juventus) sees him as an ideal replacement for a certain Gianluigi Buffon in a few years time?

I think buying Lloris in this transfer window was a big mistake especially if we had no plan to start him immediately. He is no.1 for Lyon and France. He is not going to accept being no.2 to a 41 year old goalkeeper. We should have waited until January. I think Lloris deserve to be our No.1 goalie as he comes with a proven quality and is much younger. Eventhough Friedel doesn't make many mistakes but his reflexes is getting slow. I am convinced a younger goalie like Gomes and Lloris would have saved the goals we conceded against Norwich, WBA and Reading.

:ross:

I cant say whether a younger keeper would have saved those goals - how can we deduce that?

What I will say is that someone who comes off his line may have prevented the cross from reaching the scorers. There was a lot of panic against WBA/Norwich in regards to the goals and its those moments you need a keeper who will come out and dominate the area. Friedel doesnt do that unfortunately.

I cant say whether a younger keeper would have saved those goals - how can we deduce that?

What I will say is that someone who comes off his line may have prevented the cross from reaching the scorers. There was a lot of panic against WBA/Norwich in regards to the goals and its those moments you need a keeper who will come out and dominate the area. Friedel doesnt do that unfortunately.

Yep - thats one of the big reasons for playing LLoris immediately. The other is that if we're going to bring him in eventually then we may as well bring him in now so that he starts to develop understanding with the defence immediately. Brad hasnt done anything wrong of Gomes-esque proportions however his inability to dominate his box sometimes goes un-noticed. Would be slightly tough on Brad to drop him immediately however, taking emotion out of the situation, I would drop him and play Lloris on Sunday

The best 'keeper I've ever seen (and yes, I am biased) is undoubtably one Patrick Antony Jennings (OBE), who (in my mind) had everything a world class 'keeper needs:

1. The ability to read the game.
2. Predicting the flight of a ball
3. Great relflexes
4. Brave and courageous
5. Commanding presence
6. The ability to catch a corner with one hand!
7. Great distribution
8. And a passion for the club, which is a strong today as it was when he signed for us in 1964!

As for Hugo (he says, slowly trying to get back on track), I am positive that he will be our number 1 for years to come, unless an Italian "Old Lady" (Juventus) sees him as an ideal replacement for a certain Gianluigi Buffon in a few years time?

Would agree about Jennings he was the best i have seen as well, and that includes Banks, Yashin.

I genuinely can't believe the reasoning going on at the moment. Anything to get the new boy into the side :lol:

I genuinely can't believe the reasoning going on at the moment. Anything to get the new boy into the side :lol:

No not at all. I said this last season too. We didnt see much of Lloris against Lazio and I find it funny that he had ratings of 8 - I mean fudge me he didnt do much and didnt have to do much.

I am not saying Lloris will have come out for those crosses against WBA/Norwich but we need a keeper who will come out and active in coming out. Is Lloris that guy? I havent seen much of him so cant say but if he isnt one of those keepers then why get him...

Hugo Lloris: Goalkeeper has to wait for Tottenham debut

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has warned goalkeeper Hugo Lloris not to expect an instant call-up if first-choice Brad Friedel has a bad game.

France captain Lloris was signed from Lyon for £8m with the expectation he would be the club's first choice.

But the 25-year-old has played just once - in the Europa League draw with Lazio on Thursday.

"We have made Hugo aware that whenever Brad has a bad game we won't drop him," Villas-Boas said.

Friedel, 41, made a number of impressive saves in Tottenham's 2-1 win over QPR on Sunday and is likely to start at Manchester United next weekend.

That will prolong Lloris' spell out of the team, a situation that has been met with incredulity in France.

"These things have to be taken very carefully," Villas-Boas said.

"We don't doubt Hugo's dimension and talent but at the moment we are paying respect to a player who is performing very well.

"At the right time we will think about it and Hugo is an extremely good professional.

"He wants to come back into the team but he is competing for the jersey and he will get his chance very soon."

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19698398

Looking at the goal we conceded yesterday, the initial corner, I would want my keeper to come and contest that. Very similar to the goals against WBA and Norwich where we conceed 2nd phase of a corner.

Saying that, The save from Hill's header was excellent (the second from Hoilett was standard for me)

Whilst I can understand AVB sticking with Friedal because of his previous saves, I do question why, when it is obvious that Lloris is a better goalkeeper, that Lloris isn't brought in as the first choice goalkeeper. Does that mean that if we signed Cristiano Ronaldo, for example, we would be telling him that he couldn't play as Striker as Defoe was doing ok? JOKE!

I felt sorry for LLoris yesterday, on MOTD2 you could see him sitting on his own on the subs bench. Friedel does not make many errors at all, whilst he may let in goals that he may have done better on, they are not errors like Gomes used to do, plus in each game he pulls off a blinding save so cant see Lloris coming into the team for a long time.

Whilst I can understand AVB sticking with Friedal because of his previous saves, I do question why, when it is obvious that Lloris is a better goalkeeper, that Lloris isn't brought in as the first choice goalkeeper. Does that mean that if we signed Cristiano Ronaldo, for example, we would be telling him that he couldn't play as Striker as Defoe was doing ok? JOKE!

ah that's easy to answer mate. Friedel is playing very well...glad i've helped.

Which is stupid really, in my mind, because looking at the longer term picture, Lloris will get unsettled because he isn't in the first team and Deschamps will be putting pressure on him and then it is more likely that Lloris will want to move when a big club comes in. Lloris would likely think that we didn't treat him that well when he arrived and as such he would owe us nothing. I know I'm coming in against the grain on a few issues but this is what a forum is about, exchanging and expressing opinions.

So if we had Ronaldo, you would leave him benched because Defoe has scored?

If Defoe scored a double AND played very well then yes Ronaldo would either sit on the bench for the first game or he'd come in for another player that's not performing as well. Anyway the gulf in class between Ronaldo and Defoe to that of Friedel and Llloris is far far far bigger so the comparison isn't really a fair one.

Back