• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Losing the captaincy at "the very least"? I'd say that stripping him of the captaincy should be the most the club does (along with a fine). What else should they do, public flogging?

Personally, I think he should remain captain. He's fudged up and the law will punish him (I guess he will lose his license). The club can fine him for his stupidity. And then he should get on with the job, part of which is leading the team. He's let everyone down, so give him a chance to atone for his mistake.

Suffice to say I will be disappointed if he keeps the captaincy

Losing the captaincy at "the very least"? I'd say that stripping him of the captaincy should be the most the club does (along with a fine). What else should they do, public flogging?

Personally, I think he should remain captain. He's fudged up and the law will punish him (I guess he will lose his license). The club can fine him for his stupidity. And then he should get on with the job, part of which is leading the team. He's let everyone down, so give him a chance to atone for his mistake.

Couldn’t agree more.

Some of the explosive sanctimony I have seen in various places since this news initially broke is deeply disappointing. Of course it was a stupid thing to do, but I cannot believe the amount of black and white judgement being levied. He will atone, he made a mistake, hopefully it does indicate a deeper issue, hopefully it was a poor decision from which he can learn and teach others. For everyone who is hurling judgement at him, I hope that when you are all in the pub/at a club or whatever that you make sure to take the keys from your mate and neighbor when you see them a "bit over". I trust Poch and the club to get this nailed-on right. I say take the captaincy for the time being but absolutely play him on Monday, 100%. And you know what? If he retains captaincy but the club make him do community service and pay a fine, then great too.

Some of the explosive sanctimony I have seen in various places since this news initially broke is deeply disappointing. Of course it was a stupid thing to do, but I cannot believe the amount of black and white judgement being levied. He will atone, he made a mistake, hopefully it does indicate a deeper issue, hopefully it was a poor decision from which he can learn and teach others. For everyone who is hurling judgement at him, I hope that when you are all in the pub/at a club or whatever that you make sure to take the keys from your mate and neighbor when you see them a "bit over". I trust Poch and the club to get this nailed-on right. I say take the captaincy for the time being but absolutely play him on Monday, 400%. And you know what? If he retains captaincy but the club make him do community service and pay a fine, then great too.

Drink driving is easy to avoid.

Don’t make excuses for him because he’s a footballer playing for the team you like.

Lloris was really stupid for drink driving. As captain of France and Spurs, he should have been more responsible. After all, he had just won the World Cup as the captain of France. Now he has tarnished his name by getting himself arrested for drink driving. I think he deserves to have his captain's armband taken from him. Maybe someone more responsible like Kane and Vertonghen should be made the new captain.

Lloris was really stupid for drink driving. As captain of France and Spurs, he should have been more responsible. After all, he had just won the World Cup as the captain of France. Now he has tarnished his name by getting himself arrested for drink driving. I think he deserves to have his captain's armband taken from him. Maybe someone more responsible like Kane and Vertonghen should be made the new captain.
Two captains is a cracking idea.

If Joe blow gets done for drink driving he doesn't lose his fudging job! The sanctimony in this thread is alarmist and deplorable.

He's made a mistake. He's a human being. Forgive and move on.. If it'll please some of our more saintly fans maybe give him a fine.

Jesus wept.

I’ve not been to a good stoning in ages.

Last one I went to was a good one - local boy.... No women though.

I don’t think that’s what Whiffler was saying? It was (I think) about making it more stringent to get a licence in the first place and being able to keep it. Not necessarily wrong but I don’t think that in itself prevents errors of judgement as with Hugo.
As has been said, unless drink driving is banned altogether there will always be people who just breach the limit either because they chance it, suspecting they might be over but knowing they feel good to drive, or because they genuinely believe they are under the limit. In my mind I am putting Hugo in that last bracket.
If that’s the case and it’s his first offence, then a (relatively) lenient outcome is to be expected. If it’s a once off and he then re-offends, or if it transpires this is a second or more offence, then a more hardline response is fair enough.
Not sure I quite get what Whiffler was putting forward tbf. We'd all agree that 'sensible, safe laws should be the name of the game' but his previous comments about some people being able to handle more alcohol when driving allied to his his comments about 'namby, pamby liberals' seem to imply he would abolish the current limits on drink-driving and rely on deterrents. My question would be, 'Such as?' Eg how are you supposed to prove that a serious accident was caused by the driver having too much alcohol in their blood if you do not set a limit in the first place? Are we supposed to wait for serious alcohol-induced accidents to happen before we can prosecute?

@Whiffler's comments beg more worrying questions than they answer.

Should just be a total ban rather than the limit there is atm - no excuses then.

So no mothwash or beef bourguignon for anyone ever?

There's also the scientific evidence that people are actually better drivers after one pint than they are after none. It's only just after 2 pints that driving capability goes off a cliff - which is why that's where the limit is set. It's evidence based.

the scientific evidence that people are actually better drivers after one pint than they are after none..

You what?

If you can find a serious, peer-reviewed study that says that, I will paypal you a tenner and wear a “Jezzer is right about the shapeshifters” t-shirt for a week.

If Joe blow gets done for drink driving he doesn't lose his fudging job! The sanctimony in this thread is alarmist and deplorable.

He's made a mistake. He's a human being. Forgive and move on.. If it'll please some of our more saintly fans maybe give him a fine.

Jesus wept.

Sadly it is the way of modern life. There are a LOT of talkers sadly. Glasshouses and all that. The pathetic bit is that unless you also come out with your pick-axe to bury Lloris 6ft under, you are (depending on which faceless message you read on the internet) an apologist, condoning drunk driving or wearing Spurs goggles.

I have had this discussion in another place today, and I will make my position clear as a bell once more.
Drunk driving is terrible.
Hugo Lloris has been at best stupid and at worst extremely reckless.
I believe it is a teaching moment for the player.
I am satisfied that he has offered an unequivocal apology, regardless of whether he had two glasses of wine with dinner or it was more serious.
I trust in Pochettino to levy the appropriate reprisals and punishments for his behavior.
I am very, very uncomfortable with the levels of sanctimony and judgement I have seen in some places yesterday into today.

I was breathalysed very close to where Hugo was about 5 years ago. Just the other side of Baker Street on the Euston road. I was legal and drove away. It wasn't a nice experience - the police could smell the booze from my passengers, made me sit in a van for half an hour while they got a testing kit, and started telling me I was going to get a criminal record etc. Guilty in their mind before being tested.

I was legal and I wasn't driving dangerously. But put the law to one-side for a moment for arguments sake, and lets say I had a similar amount of alcohol in my blood as Hugo did. Quite possible as the allowed limit is lower now. Morally are we equal? Not trying to align with a super-hero keeper! Just trying to deconstruct peoples moralising. Theoretically, does that make me criminal or Hugo not so bad? Laws can change, but how people conduct themselves ultimately determines their ethics and how critical we should be of them imo.

No one is saying he should have driven. But the moralising on here, the holier than thou, is maybe unfair when we don't know how over the limit he was. He wishes he got a taxi more than anyone. But is he morally criminal because of his actions?

Last edited:

Jesus wept.

It depends, I used to work for a large media organisation where any criminal conviction would result in dismissal.

Back