• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

And he should absolutely play on Monday imo. Keep the armband, he's captain. Go out there and lead. Fine him 2 weeks wages and give it to charity.

Him, of all people! I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me he didn't drink at all. Then again, he's French. Man, that sucks. :(

I get what you’re saying, but to the same extent some here are saying he should never play for us again?! he may have only had 2 beers, we don’t know anything yet, so let’s all just find out facts before writing off his career!

Haven’t said that at all. He absolutely should play for us again. But I do think he was monumentally stupid.

Mate, I am sure you don't mean it that way but your posts read slightly like you are an apologist for drink driving.

It's OK because it is a few glasses of wine rather than beer? Of course not except the former is generally associated with sophisticated continentals while the latter is your English Chavs

For me driving irresponsibly whether speeding or under the influence is equally bad. The actions should be condemned because the consequences are down to luck. Yeah we have all driven over the speed limit but doesn't make it right

We shouldn't be partisan about this because he is Spurs. Should Lloris be thrown under a bus-of course not. Should the club come down severely? - absolutely. It doesn't do the club's image any good and from the captain it sets a terrible example to the youth players.

Mate, I was reply to KON who said Hugo should never play for us again. That is a heafty moral judgment to make. If you are going to make scuh moral judgments, then ensure your morals are sound. Driving irrisponsibly - putting lives at risk - is reprehensible we all agree. Someone driving after a glass of wine with care is probably morally not as bad (dangerous) as someone who is driving without care and attention sobre. Or someone speeding in a built up area. But on here it seems that because it was booze he's being castigated regarless. By KONs logic we'd ban a lot of football players, anyone caught speeding wouldn't play football again. I don't think most would apply that logic to themselves or their friends though. If society did, there wouldn't be many unblemished people left. Who hasn't exceeded a speed limit for example? Why does Hugo get treated differently? He will be punished by the law, and then hopefully be forgiven. He didn't cause an accident, and we don't know how dangerous he was - how over the limit he was.

I'm not excusing drink driving, but I find saying things like Hugo shouldn't play for us again draconian and putting people on unfair pedestals.

Of course there are accidents where the driver's alcohol intake may not have played a part. Point is when it comes to drinking and driving, it's better not to mix the two, otherwise you are increasing the risk to other road users. So yes, it's a technical offence because you have to set a limit somewhere.

Or are you in favour of no legal limit?

Sensible, safe laws should be the name of the game. Firstly, I would raise the bar significantly on getting and retaining driving licence.

After that, Attilla the Hun and his namby pamby liberals would get my attention

Haven’t said that at all. He absolutely should play for us again. But I do think he was monumentally stupid.
Yea I know you weren’t saying that but you were saying some posters were acting like Liverpool fans with it and I was just showing the otherside to that argument, that there are plenty on here, potentially, overreacting to it.

The man has made a big mistake and will be punished by the judiciary and the club, the worse punishment will be delivered by the hypocritical media. Any suggestion that the club should drop him from the team is to my mind ridiculous as any punishment would then be to the club, team mates and fans.

Sensible, safe laws should be the name of the game. Firstly, I would raise the bar significantly on getting and retaining driving licence.

After that, Attilla the Hun and his namby pamby liberals would get my attention
Stats overwhelmingly suggest raising the limit would increase the number of casualties and deaths. The more alcohol you take in, the more susceptible you are to losing total control when driving. If you're really in favour of that then Ghod help the rest of us.

Stats overwhelmingly suggest raising the limit would increase the number of casualties and deaths. The more alcohol you take in, the more susceptible you are to losing total control when driving. If you're really in favour of that then Ghod help the rest of us.

I don’t think that’s what Whiffler was saying? It was (I think) about making it more stringent to get a licence in the first place and being able to keep it. Not necessarily wrong but I don’t think that in itself prevents errors of judgement as with Hugo.
As has been said, unless drink driving is banned altogether there will always be people who just breach the limit either because they chance it, suspecting they might be over but knowing they feel good to drive, or because they genuinely believe they are under the limit. In my mind I am putting Hugo in that last bracket.
If that’s the case and it’s his first offence, then a (relatively) lenient outcome is to be expected. If it’s a once off and he then re-offends, or if it transpires this is a second or more offence, then a more hardline response is fair enough.

It’s actually an interesting debate that has developed here. There is a certain stigma and labelling that comes with drink driving.

Keeping people driving safely is hugely important. And there are so many things that can make you a bad driver. Me personally I like to maintain full concentration on the road. So I couldn’t partake in heavy conversations as I found it distracting.

People using their phones in the car - dangerous. Smoke a bit of weed? There goes your reaction time. What are the dangers of drink driving - slower reaction times, lack of coordination, inattentive. People drive while tired and exhausted and guess what they also have slower reaction times, lack coordination and are also inattentive. But how do you legislate for that?

I saw a road rage incident last year that ended with a car accident. They were all ok thankfully. Not sure what the solution is but the law should come down heavily in all acts of careless driving in the same way it does for drink driving

What a stupid thing for someone in his position to do. He’s got so much money and he makes an active choice not to get someone to drive?

Knowing Poch’s approach, I’d be surprised if he retains the armband. The club should also fine him. After that, any other punishment’s up to the law.

What a stupid thing for someone in his position to do. He’s got so much money and he makes an active choice not to get someone to drive?

Knowing Poch’s approach, I’d be surprised if he retains the armband. The club should also fine him. After that, any other punishment’s up to the law.
His aura will also punish him.

I wouldn't stop him playing, but I would be suprised if he kept the captaincy. He's got to be one of the least likely from our squad to be done for this sort of thing, probably one of the least likely in the league given his demeanor. As others have said, we don't know how far he was over or anything else but at the same time we all know if we're close to the limit.

Also a bit tinkled he didn't apologise to the public in general. He wasn't putting his family, friends, supporters or the club in danger whilst driving under the influence.

Hell no, if he is stupid enough to drive under the influence of alcohol at the very least he needs to lose the captaincy.

Losing the captaincy at "the very least"? I'd say that stripping him of the captaincy should be the most the club does (along with a fine). What else should they do, public flogging?

Personally, I think he should remain captain. He's fudged up and the law will punish him (I guess he will lose his license). The club can fine him for his stupidity. And then he should get on with the job, part of which is leading the team. He's let everyone down, so give him a chance to atone for his mistake.

Back