• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Not picking on you mate (but using yours as its similar to few others on the page), but who's World Class if Hugo is not?

Lets be clear, the keeper who makes no mistakes and doesn't get beaten doesn't exist. Da Gea, Cech, Courtois (fudgeing guy got beaten by Adams from halfway) all have been beaten by savable brick, multiple times.

Let me tell you why I think Hugo is world class (it's not shot stopping, distribution, etc.), it is the fact that he can play 88 minutes with fudge all to do, then pull off two or three excellent saves in last 5 minutes to save the win/draw for us. what defines top keepers is not reflex saves (most can do that), it's concentration.

an argument can be made that right now nobody is

Not picking on you mate (but using yours as its similar to few others on the page), but who's World Class if Hugo is not?

Lets be clear, the keeper who makes no mistakes and doesn't get beaten doesn't exist. Da Gea, Cech, Courtois (fudgeing guy got beaten by Adams from halfway) all have been beaten by savable brick, multiple times.

Let me tell you why I think Hugo is world class (it's not shot stopping, distribution, etc.), it is the fact that he can play 88 minutes with fudge all to do, then pull off two or three excellent saves in last 5 minutes to save the win/draw for us. what defines top keepers is not reflex saves (most can do that), it's concentration.

I do agree that all the keepers make mistakes ( I even saw the best ever Jennings do it) its comes with the job. But imo its not often the real top keepers make the same mistake and Lloris gets beaten at his near post on occasion and he has a weakness in that part of his game.

Do not get me wrong he is a very good keeper but unlike some fans I do not believe he is world class. But Stop! Hammer time.

an argument can be made that right now nobody is

World class by definition means the best handful in the world at that moment in time.

The only reason Neuer, Lloris and Courtois (IMO the world's top 3) might look more error prone than GKs of previous generations like Banks, Jennings, Zoff, Shilton or Buffon, is because they play with light plastic balls that get caught in the wind, rather than heavier leather ones which fly true.

World class by definition means the best handful in the world at that moment in time.

The only reason Neuer, Lloris and Courtois (IMO the world's top 3) might look more error prone than GKs of previous generations like Banks, Jennings, Zoff, Shilton or Buffon, is because they play with light plastic balls that get caught in the wind, rather than heavier leather ones which fly true.
There is also a zillion times more live tv coverage and media focus on them nowadays.

does it?

it's always been a bit of a woolly phrase imo

it's certainly a different game now to the time of Banks, Jennings, Yashin et al, my opinion however is that that best now are far inferior to the best of the previous generation (or two), a young Buffon or Schmeichel for example, from a time when ball dynamics were not all that different from now, it's not just about shot stopping, there is a distinct lack of commanding keepers comfortable with claiming crosses and actually catching the football, it appears to be a sadly dying skill

does it?

it's always been a bit of a woolly phrase imo

it's certainly a different game now to the time of Banks, Jennings, Yashin et al, my opinion however is that that best now are far inferior to the best of the previous generation (or two), a young Buffon or Schmeichel for example, from a time when ball dynamics were not all that different from now, it's not just about shot stopping, there is a distinct lack of commanding keepers comfortable with claiming crosses and actually catching the football, it appears to be a sadly dying skill

I think the point GB is making is the balls move more, are faster, surfaces are better (ball skids more), makes catching (and other things) a low percentage option, punching/parry just safer.

I would suspect Lloris, Neuer, Da Gea, Courtois, etc are actually much better athletes, faster, better reaction time, better acceleration off the line, etc. than any of the previous generation.

Either way, it's definitely been good to have a top level keeper at the club for the last few years.

Comparing Shilton to any top goal keeper now is laughable for me

He was the most static keeper I ever saw and rarely commanded anything in the area

The game has evolved massively and players like Shilton from what I saw lacked the intelligence to play now

Seeing him in penalty shoot outs was like watching slow motion

Modern keepers have to anticipate and control their area

The older generation were oustsanding in their day but the game has changed

And the ball was recycled quicker, but then ... those were the days when laws were enforced.

Genuinely can't think of a time when I've seen the '6 second' rule enforced. Think a keeper would have to have it in his gloves for at least half a minute for a ref to even have a word...

Genuinely can't think of a time when I've seen the '6 second' rule enforced. Think a keeper would have to have it in his gloves for at least half a minute for a ref to even have a word...

Does the 6 second rule still exist? Presumed it had been scrappef
D

Back