• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Why is this bit important?

Any English Spurs player ought to be of an international standard ..... in an ideal world.

PL & England fixtures are co-ordinated, whereas some international/continental ones aren't

Foreign players have more travel around international fixtures.

Financial Fair Play and rules for having home players, so the more UK players means we'll never have to sell one foreign start to sign another .... the slack would be handy.

All that said, these points are more helpful than important.

I like the thought of us having an English spine - good for continuity of Club & Country. At the moment it lacks GK & CBs, but we have also Rose & Walker.

As it is Hugo's thread I should stress how much I want him to stick with us. If/when he goes, Butland would be a serious contender.

Last edited:
Butland is the perfect replacement for Hugo as and when he leaves (with our blessing) but he does play a different style. He isn't one who clears his lines and dominates his area. He is a player who plays reactionary similar to De Gea. It could be coached as a style change and it could come with experience

I really like him and said a few years back that we should sign him as cover but he needs first team games now for his own development and he is showing that class

Those that nearly made FourFourTwo's Top 100:

Hugo Lloris (Tottenham)

Lloris hasn’t done a whole lot wrong in 2015, it’s more that there are six goalkeepers who’ve had better years on FFT’s list. His kicking certainly isn’t great, if we were to pick fault, but of course the Spurs skipper is still a fine goalkeeper who could put himself in the shop window with a big season at White Hart Lane.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...t-fell-short-ffts-best-100-players-world-list

Seventh best GK in the world then?

Butland is the perfect replacement for Hugo as and when he leaves (with our blessing) but he does play a different style. He isn't one who clears his lines and dominates his area. He is a player who plays reactionary similar to De Gea. It could be coached as a style change and it could come with experience

I really like him and said a few years back that we should sign him as cover but he needs first team games now for his own development and he is showing that class

I have always wanted us to sign Butland from the time he was at Birmingham City. Obviously sicne we have had Lloris that want has somewhat waned, but should Lloris even start to hint at wanting to leave in the near future, we should be bidding for him in an instant

Those that nearly made FourFourTwo's Top 100:

Hugo Lloris (Tottenham)

Lloris hasn’t done a whole lot wrong in 2015, it’s more that there are six goalkeepers who’ve had better years on FFT’s list. His kicking certainly isn’t great, if we were to pick fault, but of course the Spurs skipper is still a fine goalkeeper who could put himself in the shop window with a big season at White Hart Lane.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...t-fell-short-ffts-best-100-players-world-list

Seventh best GK in the world then?

Interested in who is ahead of him

I have always wanted us to sign Butland from the time he was at Birmingham City. Obviously sicne we have had Lloris that want has somewhat waned, but should Lloris even start to hint at wanting to leave in the near future, we should be bidding for him in an instant

He is already englands best keeper imo and would be a great fit as and when Hugo goes on to pastures new (which may be a while now on the basis he appear stop be incredibly happy)

Interested in who is ahead of him

#75 Joe Hart, #70 Keylor Navas (completely overrated due to the club he plays for, but that's how these lists work) and #60 Peter Cech. I'm guessing Neuer, De Gea and Buffon will be quite high up. Then there's Courtois.

Same here I actually think he will be the England num one for years.

funnily I read a 'hands off' warning in this mornings currant bun linking butland to Liverpool.
Hughes in no uncertain terms told klopp where to go.

I'd take him straightaway if Hugo left.

#75 Joe Hart, #70 Keylor Navas (completely overrated due to the club he plays for, but that's how these lists work) and #60 Peter Cech. I'm guessing Neuer, De Gea and Buffon will be quite high up. Then there's Courtois.

And all 3 of them aren't as good as Hugo IMO

Interesting quote from Poch when responding to if bids would come in for Kane. Was covered in multiple outlets, one here http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...ut-possible-bids-for-harry-kane-34239059.html

Pochettino said: "I am happy that a big club want our players - this is because they show they are a top player with top performances. It is good when they are linked.

"But Harry, like Hugo Lloris, wants to stay here. He is one of the best players and he is very happy. He wants to grow up with us and try the next few years to try for the top four and win titles with Tottenham. This is his challenge."

Interesting quote from Poch when responding to if bids would come in for Kane. Was covered in multiple outlets, one here http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...ut-possible-bids-for-harry-kane-34239059.html

Pochettino said: "I am happy that a big club want our players - this is because they show they are a top player with top performances. It is good when they are linked.

"But Harry, like Hugo Lloris, wants to stay here. He is one of the best players and he is very happy. He wants to grow up with us and try the next few years to try for the top four and win titles with Tottenham. This is his challenge."
This man says all the right things.

#6 Manuel Neuer
#26 David DeGea
#29 Thibaut Courtois
#60 Peter Cech
#70 Keylor Navas
#75 Joe Hart

No Buffon.

I don't think Cech should be in that list since his head injury, he's a solid, very good keeper, but not top 4 in the world!!

If Lloris was still playing for Lyon in France I think he'd be on the list, there, I said it! These lists are ridiculously biased/based depending on who you play for and being the no. One keeper in the league playing reg CL football like he would be for Lyon would change the writers opinion.

I don't think Cech should be in that list since his head injury, he's a solid, very good keeper, but not top 4 in the world!!

If Lloris was still playing for Lyon in France I think he'd be on the list, there, I said it! These lists are ridiculously biased/based depending on who you play for and being the no. One keeper in the league playing reg CL football like he would be for Lyon would change the writers opinion.

If Lloris played for any of Sky 4, he would be hailed as the best in the EPL, no question.

Lloris has all the attributes - good shot stopper (almost all EPL keepers are), brilliant at coming out, commands his area, insanely brave, good concentration, e.g. Cheat$ki game, one shot at him, big save when it matters (that more than anything else is what top keepers need). His one weak point has been distribution, but even that has improved (he had a poor kick out in Cheat$ki game I noticed, because it had been a while since I'd seen him do a really poor distribution (last season it was every game).

I love Hugo, but I do think we overrate him a bit on here. Best keeper we've had for a long time but to me he is not on De Gea or Neuers level. I also think courtois is better.

He has a gaff in him from time to time that the elite keepers don't. He does let in goals that he could have saved every now and again, that's not to say he isn't good, but imo that's what seperates him from the very best, and is probably why he isn't courted by a host of cl clubs.

Not that I mind, I'm happy we get to keep him.

Chec is s difficult one, he's usually very reliable and does what's expected and not much else. But some matches he pulls of some incredible saves and other games he looks way over the hill.

Hart is a bit like Hugo, just abit more prone to errors and Butland I haven't seen enough of.

If hart wasn't English he would be considered no getter than Gomez.
Neur is the bet keeper by quite a distance, not totally convinced and de gea

Back