• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

i don't know if he's quite at the level (or maybe i mean stature?) which would attract the type of bids we'd sell for if im honest - you can probably count the big fee GK transfers over the last 20 years on one hand and they're usually for the undisputed no.1 world wide at the time. we'd probably want in excess of 30m for him and i think that's enough to mean clubs will look elsewhere, for the time being at least

i don't know if he's quite at the level (or maybe i mean stature?) which would attract the type of bids we'd sell for if im honest - you can probably count the big fee GK transfers over the last 20 years on one hand and they're usually for the undisputed no.1 world wide at the time. we'd probably want in excess of 30m for him and i think that's enough to mean clubs will look elsewhere, for the time being at least

Look at it from his perspective: his game relies enormously on his pace and athleticism, qualities that will decline as he hits his thirties. You do see the 'goalkeepers have longer careers' argument trotted out quite a bit, and that is admittedly true in cases where the goalie is a shot-stopper who stays on his line most of the time: however, I doubt that would work in Lloris' case, as his pace and athleticism are about the only things that allow his sweeper-keeper act to shine as much as it does, and as he doesn't really have the physical attributes required to be a line-hugging goalie: he's quite small for a goalkeeper, after all.

I'd wager that getting the most out of what time at the top he has left (which, given he's twenty eight going on twenty-nine, isn't all that long in light of the above argument) is probably high enough on his list of considerations for him to press for a move if a bigger club makes a bid big enough to (in his eyes) do justice to Spurs. So I'm not as confident in the club holding out for 30 million plus bids as you are, bill: imo, letting him for somewhere around 20-25 million quid seems possible in my book if he wants the move badly enough to push for it to go through, which I think he will do if the club coming in for him is of a sufficiently high calibre (United, Real, etcetera).

You really think the Guardian is above making up a story based on more vague speculation than a direct agent contact?

Even if the source of this was his agent it seems a lot more "want to keep my options open" than "I want to leave". Doesn't come across as desperate to leave if this did in fact originate from his agent.

Like the article says the summer market for goalkeepers won't be the easiest. If anything happens the De Gea to Real, United targeting Lloris seems the most plausible. But that's still a lot of ifs and maybes and they would still have to agree a fee with Levy...

Hytner makes his money covering Tottenham for his newspaper and relies on a continued good relationship with the Tottenham press office for access for interviews and the like.
He is not gonna ruin that by making up a Lloris story that the club know isn't true. Why would he do that for one story that isn't even that big?

Last edited:
Clearly you are right, concerning Vorm being second choice, but just watch, Lloris will be as gone as last weeks pay, when a big club come in for him. Just forget all the motherhood and apple pie sentiments from him...they all say that.

as dza says...

I can see him leaving at some point, he's a world class player and we're not a world class club.

It is normal life event that outstanding workers leave a smaller company for a bigger one.

The issue should not be him leaving but us identifying an adequate replacement

Hytner makes a living from his

Hytner makes his money covering Tottenham for his newspaper and relies on a continued good relationship with the Tottenham press office for access for interviews and the like.
He is not gonna ruin that by making up a Lloris story that the club know isn't true. Why would he do that for one story that isn't even that big?

Sadly, this is a very good point :(

Its happening again. He's gone chaps.

On the bright side we are well covered this time.

He was neck and neck with Brad to get in when we first signed him, and luckly the club was sensible enough to keep Brad happy. The future is bright - the future is Friedel!....

There's no big club that needs a keeper like Lloris - that's our saving grace. He doesn't have the distribution for Barca or Real, and Bayern have Neuer.
What on earth is this distribution you keep going on about? I don't recall Casillas making 100 yard pin point passes to a team mate? Lloris can pass a ball to a defender as well as Barca or Reals keeper and is very good on the ball,I think you're clutching at straws to suggest his distribution isn't good enough....

Its happening again. He's gone chaps.

On the bright side we are well covered this time.

He was neck and neck with Brad to get in when we first signed him, and luckly the club was sensible enough to keep Brad happy. The future is bright - the future is Friedel!....

I'm surprised he has stayed this long to be honest. Do we promote Vorm to number 1 or go and sign another keeper?

I won't begrudge him his move to chase the Champs League if he does go, so long as it isn't for a low ball offer. Timo Horn has been linked a fair bit since January, though maybe that's just a link because of our contact with Wimmer. Either way, Vorm as #1 for the next year or two whilst someone like Horn or even Mcgee gets time in the cups etc isn't the end of the world.

What on earth is this distribution you keep going on about? I don't recall Casillas making 100 yard pin point passes to a team mate? Lloris can pass a ball to a defender as well as Barca or Reals keeper and is very good on the ball,I think you're clutching at straws to suggest his distribution isn't good enough....

I agree with GB that his distribution is average at best.

That said, it's naive to think that Real wouldn't want to sign him for that reason alone. He's arguably the third best keeper in the world after Neuer and Courtois. Our only hope is Real might go after De Gea instead.

Good point, hadn't considered that.

I still think if the source of this is someone close to Hugo (like his agent) and actually communicating Hugo's wishes it's still a pretty vague "I might want to leave" statement and not a "get me out of here" type thing.

I agree with GB that his distribution is average at best.

That said, it's naive to think that Real wouldn't want to sign him for that reason alone. He's arguably the third best keeper in the world after Neuer and Courtois. Our only hope is Real might go after De Gea instead.

I don't think that's naive. In terms of style of play some of the top teams require ball playing ability from all their players to truly make it work.

I don't think he's the third best goalkeeper in the world, or at least I don't think he sets himself aside from the rest of the group of goalkeepers that claim also could be argued in favour of.

Back